Later round prospects...? (1 Viewer)

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I came across this site on the front page of SR.com and I looked at some of the players (mainly defense) that dont get alot of pub, but are probalby gonna be available in rounds 3-5 and I really think we have a chance to get some good talent on this team, I think this can be another 06' Draft for us. I'm not saying that any of these guys on the article are locks (I know somebody is gonna come on here and let the air outa my tire) but we argue about specific players, but there are alot of guys out there that can help us and I think most of the help we get are gonna come from these 3rd to 7th rounders, we should get 2 starters out of the first 2 rounds (god willing) but what makes the draft are the later round guys....just something to think about.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/02/18/combine.players/index.html

If we pick the right guys we could get some serious players in the later rounds, a few of later round players I really like are Dominique Barber, Dexter Jackson, and Angelo Craig.

I don't know how anyone gets to watch enough football to predict later round picks. But there are several on the board who do it every year. My hats off to them.

Its hard enough for me to stay well versed on the top 3 round talent.

I do agree that evaluating talent in the later rounds is nothing short of a crap shoot. My concern with picking defense in the later rounds is the impact it will have on the entire draft.

First, there is no way Payton takes all defense in this year's draft. So, if we pick defensive players in the later rounds, that means we are going with Offense in the earlier rounds....the side of the ball we won't need as much help on. If this were to happen, that would mean the odds of a repeat early round draft pick riding the pine for the bigger part of the season....NOT GOOD!!!

I'd like to see us pick defense in the early rounds (1-3) who can come in and have an immediate impact on our game. Select Offense in rounds 4-6 (TE, WR, Olineman, or RB) and then go back to defense in round 7....(BPA on Defense).

I just don't see a position on defense that we can go wrong with....and YES, I'm even including DE. On offense, we can always use help on the Oline, we need another WR, RB is a need with the injuries, and we all know Payton wants a young QB to groom, TE is a need. We weren't 12-6 last year...we were 7-9!!! Every position except for #1 QB can be upgraded.

I agree chad_moore, I think the first 3 picks should be defense and they should be the best available player at DT, CB and LB, not in that order, but at those positions because they need to see the field and we have to be able to live with there mistakes because of the potential they bring to the defense ie; interceptions, sacks and FF, sure u may be able to take advantage of them, but there gonna learn from it and continue to make plays along the way...its not like the Vets we have/had don't get taken advantage of, those are the kinda players we look for, and always replace them with the same type players...u know...stop gaps, that fail and we eventually replace with another stop gap....draft picks aren't stop gaps, there investments, let's live and die with there mistakes and evaluate and then add a vet (stop gap) and let the draft pick work on his game and or draft another player at the position, THATS HOW ITS SUPPOSED TO BE DONE!! We love to get backups and make them "center pieces" (for the right price)

I see this kid Colston out of Hofstra as being pretty good.

Oh wait, am I a little late in posting this? :D

I really want Tom Zbikowski in the late rounds. I think he can contribute to special teams and develop into a starter

Tom Zbikowski is “all day tough”. That was the quote used by Head Coach Charile Weiss to describe his Senior Safety. In 2005, Zbikowski burst onto the scene and Notre Dame enjoyed one of its best records in recent history. He was responsible for 4 touchdowns, including an amazing punt return against eventual champs USC.

2006 was not as good to the senior safety, nick-named Tommy Z. Although he increased his total tackles, he did not register an interception and his punt return average dropped from being ranked nationally in ‘05 at 13th to 40th in ‘06. However, he still did manage to score twice. Once as a punt returner and once as a strong safety. Although some of the obvious big play ability was missing, he still showed some flashes of his ’05 form. Not too many punt returners have more than one score and even less Defensive Backs have a touchdown.

Zbikowski is a nationally ranked golden gloves boxer as well. This provides him with the hand/eye coordination and quickness as well as nimble feet. Strength, quickness and agility are strengths in both football and boxing, so these traits are pluses. He was an option quarterback in high school, which allows him to see the field as well as he does. He does have above average explosion when closing in on the ball/ball carrier and is rarely caught from behind once he builds up his speed.

Tommy Z. bounced back to have a senior senior year. Zbikowski leaves Notre Dame with 300 tackles, the eighth-most in school history and the most ever for an Irish defensive back. He's also tied with Tim Brown and Ricky Watters, among others, for the most punt returns for a touchdown in school history with three. He has the speed (4.48) and agility to cover space at the safety position. He also has a knack for making big plays and being around the ball, which is important for a defensive back. He has average man to man skills, something that can be improved on at the next level. He had some disappointing moments last year, but normally is a solid tackler, whom knows when and where to deliver the big hit.

Overall, Zbikowski would be a great 3-4th round pick at this point. His skills are comparable to Pro Bowler Mike Brown of the Chicago Bears. They are about the same size, speed and play with a chip on their shoulders. Both are leaders and if Tommy Z. can focus all of his intensity on just football, he will be a steal to whomever snags him in the 2008 NFL Draft. He will need to have a very fast workout at the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine to regain his once lofty draft status.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/tom_zbikowski.htm

At senior bowl practice:

Notre Dame safety Tom Zbikowski looked smooth in coverage and did a nice job on the tight ends. Maybe he isn't as one-dimensional as everyone thinks...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/practices/north123.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom