Latest on Bushrod (1 Viewer)

PFF's list of free agent OT's

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-offensive-tackles/

I can see Bushrod getting offered the same deal that Beaty did in NY. 5 years 37.5.

If he doesn't take it, there are people available. Bushrod has never been a world beater, although he is good, so we just need someone as good as him to replace him, which could even be a right tackle.

We agree in the type of deal that Bushrod should receive. I think he can expect a very similar deal to what Beatty got on the open market. I also expect us to make him that type of offer.

I am not in the camp of he is easily replaced (as many on SR are). The myth of a high LT supply is just that, a myth. Review the ink/list you posted: Clady & Albert were franchised, Beatty has signed, Smith, Cherilus, Loadholt, Winston are RT's only and Long wants $11M. That leaves us with Vollmer (often injured), Baker (downgrade from Bushrod), McKinnie (often overweight and unmotivated), and Bushrod.

There is not 6 LT that can replace/upgrade Bushrod and the thought of flipping any RT (with exception of Vollmer) over to protect your $100M investment is an extremely risky proposition.

Some experts rate Bushrod the 2nd best LT in FA behind Long. I watched a segment on NFLtotalaccess yesterday, O'hara has him rated as 2nd best in this crop of FA. I would not be surprised if a team like the Bears throws the money @ Bushrod.

When Loomis is done I predict we will have more cap space than Chicago. Based on the numbers that I have seen, they have $5M is cap space currently. Addressing Will Smith alone would double that. They took a hit by using the franchise tag on Melton.

I'm not saying we value Bushrod more than Chicago. Just stating that we will have the cap room to spend with them.

We agree in the type of deal that Bushrod should receive. I think he can expect a very similar deal to what Beatty got on the open market. I also expect us to make him that type of offer.

I am not in the camp of he is easily replaced (as many on SR are). The myth of a high LT supply is just that, a myth. Review the ink/list you posted: Clady & Albert were franchised, Beatty has signed, Smith, Cherilus, Loadholt, Winston are RT's only and Long wants $11M. That leaves us with Vollmer (often injured), Baker (downgrade from Bushrod), McKinnie (often overweight and unmotivated), and Bushrod.

There is not 6 LT that can replace/upgrade Bushrod and the thought of flipping any RT (with exception of Vollmer) over to protect your $100M investment is an extremely risky proposition.

The Packers are moving Bulaga from right to left tackle. I just think that if you look at our line (5th round, 1st round, UDFA, 4th round, 7th round) that we could put a better than average right tackle in Bushrod's spot and have equal performance if Charles Brown can't hack it. What other options do we have if he isn't retained? Sam Baker from Atlanta is a viable option who would be cheap if he even hits the market.

I may have overspoken "easily" replacing him because it ain't gonna be that easy, I guess I just think it'll be easier to get a deal done with him considering that of all the free agent "left" tackles, only one has gotten a (fair and modest) contract and two were franchised. Considering that they are all rated higher than him his market probably isn't what he thinks it'll be. Chicago will be the major hurdle.

Just get Bushrod signed and we won't have to worry.

Sign him or let him go, either way, I have no doubt we have eyes on a potential replacement for him.

I hope he stays, and decides its better to work with Brees then some other QB.

But in the end, its all about the dollars and cents.

Saints and Loomis will make the right call!

We are held hostage by Will Smith, Vilma and Harpers' contracts. No room on the cap.

Why are they waiting so long for these guys? Nothing will change in the next 5 days, they must know their position by now, they should just make the moves that need to be made.

Is not as much about finding a player that is "as good" as Bushrod. Continuity means a great deal to an O-line. Bushrod may not be the best guy we could have next year, talent-wise. However, he knows the offense, he's familiar with the players around him, and he knows Drew Brees and his tendencies/nuances. That's where his true value to us lies.

Here's the "not so secret" secret about the Bushrod situation....

Loomis in essence is waiting to see who is available.....all those who think Bushrod will have to be paid in the neighborhood of $37-40mills range, are missing the bigger picture.

Why pay Bushrod that money, even if that amont is the going rate, when Loomis can add $2mills more, and land a top notch OT....someone like Jake Long for example.

Now there is a huge difference between Long & Bushrod.....but if Loomis is forced to give Bushrod $8mills/year, why not add $2mills more and then get Jake Long, instead of Bushrod? In essence Loomis would upgrade the position for $2mills more/year

Wouldn't that make more sense? I think it would.....

But then there is the draft...and this year, there is an abundance of OTs in this year's draft.....and much better prospects who could be playing in short order.....they would come much, much cheaper too....

something to think about...

It's the one thing that is a bit frustrating about Loomis' strategy. He tends to wait until the very last minute on big contracts to try and get something done (i.e. Colston, Nicks, Brees...). I guess he feels it evens the playing field and shortens the timeframe for back and forth.

I dont think he waits until the last minute, I think he gives players a chance to find their worth on the open market then come back to the bargaining table and hammer out a deal...as opposed to just paying a guy a hefty sum because you dont want another team to snatch him away...its the players decision to leave and if he wants to go he will go and if he doesnt he can get an interest of what other teams might pay him so when Loomis and Co. offer him a deal he will see that the offer is market value.

Good, because that's about all he's worth. I think the quasi-Pro Bowl is going to his head. He is not that good. He has never been that good. He has needed significant help ever since he has been in that position and was only there because he was a cheap alternative to the broken Jammal Brown. I know we are thin at OT, but come'on man! How are we going to get past teams like the Giants and 49ers in the playoffs, if he collapses every other play? And now he wants top-flight pay?

I disagree that Baker is a downgrade from Bushrod. I think he is at least as good as him. PFF says Baker actually had a much better season. I think he's an option. Worse case, you could sign one of the other guys who aren't established but did well this season for cheap. Then draft someone. Or, flip Strief over and sign a right tackle. Maybe even sign a right tackle to play left. In theory, that sounds bad. But let's face it: Bushrod is an average player. Yes, average players aren't easy to replace. He's an above average run blocker, but a below average pass blocker. He's essentially a right tackle playing left. So, it can be done. No one the Saints would sign would be what some think of as the traditional right tackle: a slow, massive mauler. But they wouldn't sign that for the right side either. So I could see them signing a guy they might project as a RT on our team but just moving him over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom