NFL Draft Latt’s Top 10 WR Prospects for Saints in 2022 (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
I put together a top 10 list for the Saints focused on WR prospects for the 2022 NFL Draft. These rankings are made under the realistic assumption that the Saints re-sign Jameis Winston to be their starting QB, and Michael Thomas returns to health and prominence next season. I know it’s way too early, but here’s what I got at this point…

1. Treylon Burks, Arkansas: at 6’3 and 225lbs, Burks has the size and strength to overpower defensive backs. He has also shown the speed to stretch defenses vertically and the RAC ability to turn short catches into big gains. He is the clear-cut WR1 in the class, and has elite level talent. Paired with a healthy Michael Thomas, Burks would make the Saints bottom-dwelling WR corps maybe the best in the league.
  2. Chris Olave, Ohio State: Olave is perhaps the most pro-ready WR in the class, and the best hands in the class, IMO, hands down. He has smooth athleticism and creates good separation out of his breaks. He also has top-notch the speed to break a long TD at any given point. As a compliment to a healthy Michael Thomas, Olave would be just about perfect. While his ceiling may not be as high as some of the other prospects, his floor is the highest.
  3. Garrett Wilson, Ohio State: In the eyes of many, Wilson has leap-frogged his teammate Olave as the best WR prospect at OSU. Wilson is an excellent route-runner, and he has superb RAC ability. Again, teaming him up with Michael Thomas instantly makes the Saints WR corps among the best.
  4. Drake London, USC: London saw his season cut short by a broken ankle, but all indications are that he’ll be good-to-go for pre-draft workouts. London would work very nicely with the deep ball skills of Jameis Winston, as he is awesome at the catch-point on vertical routes. London could see his stock rise during the pre-draft workout process if his health is back in line.
  5. Jameson Williams, Alabama: Williams is electric. He has game-breaking speed and an all around skill-set that gives him a very high ceiling. He has the size/speed/quickness that is basically unmatched. Williams is also an outstanding special teams contributor, and we know that is something that CSP values.
  6. David Bell, Purdue: Bell is a physical possession-type WR that has been largely overlooked because of some of the other elite prospects with more impressive athleticism. Bell is no slouch though. He catches everything his way, and uses his body really well to shield defenders and make contested catches. While Bell isn’t a deep threat, he could be effective in the intermediate range and give the Saints another Michael Thomas-type WR.
  7. George Pickens, Georgia: Talent-wise, Pickens is right there with the elite talents of the class. He is coming off of an ACL injury though, and has only appeared in 2 late season contests for the Bulldogs. Ability isn’t the question for Pickens… health and character are. Pickens has shown himself to be a knucklehead during his time at UGA, and he could opt to return to school to improve his draft stock for 2023.
  8. Alec Pierce, Cincinnati: Pierce is a vertical WR who excels at bringing down 50/50 balls and stretching defenses. I have him higher than most, but in the Saints offense, with Winston throwing those deep dimes, Pierce could be a steal in the middle rounds.
  9. Jahan Dotson, Penn State: Dotson is very talented, but his QB at Penn State didn’t do him any favors. He possesses elite speed, and he plays bigger than his size. He likely projects as more of a slot WR in the NFL, but he has great upside. Winston, Payton, and the other weapons on the Saints (if healthy) could allow Dotson to shine.
  10. Romeo Doubs, Nevada: Doubs is a size/speed prospect with a great deal of experience working in a pass-first attack. He has made some really nice strides this season, and could be a mid round diamond in the draft. He is gifted as a vertical threat and can go up and get the ball over defenders. He has honed some of his other skills as well to help him become a complete WR, but it is somewhat of a question how that will translate vs NFL adversaries.
*Honorable Mentions*

John Metchie, Alabama: Metchie is a super quick slot WR, but will likely miss a good part of next season because of a torn ACL suffered in the SEC championship game.

Ainias Smith, Texas A&M: Another slot type WR that is getting very little buzz. Smith has impressed me every time I’ve seen him play. He is on the short side, but he has the build of a RB and uses that in his RAC game.

You know I am all about drafting a WR pretty high... Have been for 3 years now. If I had a choice... It'd be Jameson Williams right now.

That said, we need a long term answer at QB... and if we have a chance to get Matt Corral... We gotta give it a try...

Last edited:
I put together a top 10 list for the Saints focused on WR prospects for the 2022 NFL Draft. These rankings are made under the realistic assumption that the Saints re-sign Jameis Winston to be their starting QB, and Michael Thomas returns to health and prominence next season. I know it’s way too early, but here’s what I got at this point…

1. Treylon Burks, Arkansas: at 6’3 and 225lbs, Burks has the size and strength to overpower defensive backs. He has also shown the speed to stretch defenses vertically and the RAC ability to turn short catches into big gains. He is the clear-cut WR1 in the class, and has elite level talent. Paired with a healthy Michael Thomas, Burks would make the Saints bottom-dwelling WR corps maybe the best in the league.
  2. Chris Olave, Ohio State: Olave is perhaps the most pro-ready WR in the class, and the best hands in the class, IMO, hands down. He has smooth athleticism and creates good separation out of his breaks. He also has top-notch the speed to break a long TD at any given point. As a compliment to a healthy Michael Thomas, Olave would be just about perfect. While his ceiling may not be as high as some of the other prospects, his floor is the highest.
  3. Garrett Wilson, Ohio State: In the eyes of many, Wilson has leap-frogged his teammate Olave as the best WR prospect at OSU. Wilson is an excellent route-runner, and he has superb RAC ability. Again, teaming him up with Michael Thomas instantly makes the Saints WR corps among the best.
  4. Drake London, USC: London saw his season cut short by a broken ankle, but all indications are that he’ll be good-to-go for pre-draft workouts. London would work very nicely with the deep ball skills of Jameis Winston, as he is awesome at the catch-point on vertical routes. London could see his stock rise during the pre-draft workout process if his health is back in line.
  5. Jameson Williams, Alabama: Williams is electric. He has game-breaking speed and an all around skill-set that gives him a very high ceiling. He has the size/speed/quickness that is basically unmatched. Williams is also an outstanding special teams contributor, and we know that is something that CSP values.
  6. David Bell, Purdue: Bell is a physical possession-type WR that has been largely overlooked because of some of the other elite prospects with more impressive athleticism. Bell is no slouch though. He catches everything his way, and uses his body really well to shield defenders and make contested catches. While Bell isn’t a deep threat, he could be effective in the intermediate range and give the Saints another Michael Thomas-type WR.
  7. George Pickens, Georgia: Talent-wise, Pickens is right there with the elite talents of the class. He is coming off of an ACL injury though, and has only appeared in 2 late season contests for the Bulldogs. Ability isn’t the question for Pickens… health and character are. Pickens has shown himself to be a knucklehead during his time at UGA, and he could opt to return to school to improve his draft stock for 2023.
  8. Alec Pierce, Cincinnati: Pierce is a vertical WR who excels at bringing down 50/50 balls and stretching defenses. I have him higher than most, but in the Saints offense, with Winston throwing those deep dimes, Pierce could be a steal in the middle rounds.
  9. Jahan Dotson, Penn State: Dotson is very talented, but his QB at Penn State didn’t do him any favors. He possesses elite speed, and he plays bigger than his size. He likely projects as more of a slot WR in the NFL, but he has great upside. Winston, Payton, and the other weapons on the Saints (if healthy) could allow Dotson to shine.
  10. Romeo Doubs, Nevada: Doubs is a size/speed prospect with a great deal of experience working in a pass-first attack. He has made some really nice strides this season, and could be a mid round diamond in the draft. He is gifted as a vertical threat and can go up and get the ball over defenders. He has honed some of his other skills as well to help him become a complete WR, but it is somewhat of a question how that will translate vs NFL adversaries.
*Honorable Mentions*

John Metchie, Alabama: Metchie is a super quick slot WR, but will likely miss a good part of next season because of a torn ACL suffered in the SEC championship game.

Ainias Smith, Texas A&M: Another slot type WR that is getting very little buzz. Smith has impressed me every time I’ve seen him play. He is on the short side, but he has the build of a RB and uses that in his RAC game.
Everything else being almost equal, I'll take the hands guy. I'm really tired of watching our WR'd dropping passes right in their grills.

You know I am all about drafting a WR pretty high... Have been for 3 years now. If I had a choice... I'd be Jameson Williams right now.

That said, we need a long term answer at QB... and if we have a chance to get Matt Corral... We gotta give it a try...

Corral has happy feet and isn't very accurate. Good coaching could fix some of that, but not all.

I like your list but I would switch Olave and Burks. #1 skill for a WR right now is can you get open against man coverage. I feel like he has by far the best route running of any WR in this draft. He reminds me of the Bills version of Stefon Diggs.

But like you said he is the absolute perfect compliment to MT.

Corral has happy feet and isn't very accurate. Good coaching could fix some of that, but not all.

Yeah, no "perfect prospects" out there at QB this year... But we need a QB of the future with some serious upside and potential to be a franchise QB... He's as close as I have seen in this draft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom