Lattimore, Ram and Williams have yet to sign extensions...What's the biggest reason why? (1 Viewer)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I've seen alot of talk lately about signing this free agent, signing that free agent (ex. Richard Sherman). But the reality is the Saints have little to no cap space. Sure Loomis could probably restructure a contract or two if needbe but I suspect he doesn't want to do any more of those. So what's the next best thing? Extend players that you want to keep beyond next season particularly Lattimore, Ram or Marcus Williams. But so far, neither has reached a deal. How come? Is it about leverage? More Money? Or do they not want to be with the team going forward after next season?

In Lattimore's case I think he wants to be one of the highest paid CB's in football. It's debatable whether he deserves that treatment but the trouble he got into over a month ago certainly does not help matters. I suspect the Saints still want to sign him to an extension but the money isn't what Lattimore wants and I'm betting he is going to bet on himself next season, Overall, that may be for the best because the Saints are weak at cornerback so Lattimore will need to play like a stud to at least cut off a portion of the field.

When it comes to Ram this is where I think things get tricky. It's been said the Saints may want to move Ram to LT sooner than later if they let Armstead walk. If that's indeed the case then that means Ram will want to get paid like a LT. I'm not sure if that's what is holding up agreeing to an extension but if it is a resolution may not be reached on this one in the immediate future.

Marcus Williams out of the 3, is the one I feel most confident that a deal will get done soon. Conventional wisdom is if you tag a player and he "agrees" to play under the terms of the tag then more times than not a deal usually gets reached between the two parties. It may not happen until training camp but I feel it will get done and Marcus Williams will be a staple at the Safety position for years to come.

Feel free to comment on how ya'll feel about this topic

Cash flow may be an issue. Just a guess.

Long term extensions usually include signing bonuses to achieve the desired lower cap numbers in 2021.

The signing bonuses are usually paid immediately or within months after the signings. The millions add up. Gayle may not want to cut the checks.

MW should be the easy one. You pay him top dollar about where the other top safeties are. Ram probably resets the market. Saints are likely deciding if they trust Lattimore with a huge extension.

It could also be that they don't want to be perceived as being 'lowballed' if there are other 'name' players at their respective positions who also haven't signed, everbody wants to be first...

The roads are flooded and they can't make it to the contract signing?

In some ways, Ramcyzk should be the easy one. A tackle is a tackle, whether he plays the left side or the right. And he is one of the three or four most valuable players on the team. His contract will be substantial. Structure it properly from a cap standpoint, but he is going nowhere.

Williams is the least valuable of the three because he is the one who can most easily be replaced.

Lattimore has the talent and plays a critical high-dollar position. One senses we are waiting for some clarity with the gun arrest before signing him to a massive deal.

I've been wondering if June 1st has anything to do with it or the fact that they are not meeting at the facilities. Gut feeling is that the framework is in place and it is just a matter of the small details.

In the money factor, you have to look at the names and the numbers of the top players at their position:

For Ram, keeping him at RT compared to moving him to LT is a 5 mil difference. This is where Loomis' approach to backlog contracts comes in handy. Ram is by far one of the best at his position so you could see a deal between 18-23 with 25 being a max. LT definitely has a higher value and with Armstead in a contract year, it is a possibility he may switch, even though I feel T-Stead still has plenty to offer (maybe a double switch?)

For Marcus, his career has been overshadowed by his miscues. His value is very underrated and the re-addition of Jenkins gives him the free range to roam the field. His position does have some top names (Simmons, Baker, Byard, Jackson, etc.). Given that his tag is right around 10 mil and the top contract around 15 mil, a deal right in the middle is easy to come by.

For Shon, he will the big bank shot. Without him, our secondary would be nowhere near the top of the league. Granted he has had some on and off games and injuries have been a bother at times, he his definitely worth the money. We all know his little run in was a lapse in judgement and we know pretty boy will give a decent suspension, but we all make mistakes and being that it was his first time, we need to have faith and hope he doesn't happen again. His range would be between 15-20 mil with 25 being a big max.

Main reason why I feel something will get done is for the fact that we have to sign our draft picks. We are looking at about 5-6 mil just for that. Patience is a virtue so we just have to sit and wait.

Fun theory.

They are trying to maintain flexibility to grab Wilson in 2022.

The Seahawks roster is worse while Willson tries to play superman even more. He has enough. His contract is now more reasonable for them to trade him. Saint's QBs don't look like top 10 QBs after the season ends. By waiting to lock these guys in they can pick and choose how to fit the QB contract sustainably. Plus they get another year of evaluation on them. Wilson is set up with a good offensive coach, o-line and solid weapons to finish his career in NO over another 8 years or so.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom