Lattimore unsportsmanlike flag.. (1 Viewer)

You are correct. But it was still Lattimore/s fault for pushing Evans in the first place. You have to forget all of that junk from past games.

Lat didn't push Evans "in the first place", Lat retaliated for Evans taking a cheap shot and palm striking him in the throat immediately before he shoved him.

Evans actually started the whole thing. Right after the play was over, he put his hand up around Lattimore's throat. That's when Latt shoved him off. Evans then knocked off Latt's helmet. Latt got all of the blame for the exchange from the refs.

Yep, I noticed that. The play was essentially over at that point.

Attachments

• CDE60C1D-B788-468B-BA90-5FFB47E72143.jpeg
    CDE60C1D-B788-468B-BA90-5FFB47E72143.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 12
Latt deserved the flag but yeah I'm surprised Evans didn't get one either.

Another I was surprised at was Kamara's third TD. Usually, they go with the original ruling when it's close. Anyone remember the Denver game when the player was out of bounds on the blocked kick return?

I don't mind either decision by the ref on those two things but it goes against what they usually do. Must be a Saints thing :shrug:

I know emotions were high, the players were anxious to play against someone other than their own team, and Lat has a history with Evans dating back to their first matchup, but he needs to learn to control that. Didn't end up hurting us too bad yesterday, but in the future it could result in the difference in the game. Got to be better than that.
Looked to me like Evans had his hand up around Latt’s throat and grab him or hit him in his Adam’s apple. That’s why Latt shoved him to begin with. I thought Evans was the instigator and did the major retaliating worth flagging. I could see them just flagging Latt for retaliating had Evans not punched his helmet off, but I don’t think Latt was the instigator.

The bad blood between these two gos back to when Lattimore first came into the league. In that bench clearing brawl that Winston was involved in that year you can see Evans go after Latt when his back was turned, and neither of them were even the focal point of the original scuffle. Evans just saw it as a good time to get at the rookie who was eating his lunch. This saga will continue and I for one like the way we have faired overall.

I thought it would offsetting flags as well, a lot of contact both ways...
I though the two pass interference flags on the first drive were weak...
The unnecessary roughness on Swearinger I didn't get either, I thought he has handed with the ball when he came in and hit Godwin.

I know in real speed it's harder to tell, I also agree Boger's crew is always bad...
But for a week 1 with no preseason, I'll take it.

A little reminder where this all started and part of the reason a number of Saints fans have an issue with Jameis.

Last edited:
Definitely should have been offsetting penalties. I don't think that Lattimore's helmet came off on iits own.

Swearinger's penalty was legit in my view. He led with his shoulder, but the helmets crashed. It stinks, but it is what it is. Some of the other PIs were ticky tack at best IMHO.

On the Kamara touchdown at the end: where was the "indisputable visual evidence?" :jpshakehead:

On the Kamara touchdown at the end: where was the "indisputable visual evidence?" :jpshakehead:

I actually think they got that one right, despite wanting the 40 burger. It looked clear that his heel was down prior to the ball crossing the plane. When his entire foot was down, it was too close to call. But his heel does hit first and it was short.

The Evans/Lat scuffle should've been offsetting, no way around that.

But Boger's crew seemed to hand out bad calls on both sides. The only real yardage Tampa gained was on PI calls - at least 2 of which were completely bogus. We're on to Vegas.

Since the beginning of time the retaliatory blow is what is normally flagged. The only time the instigator is the only flag is when there is no retaliation. And that’s fair. You earn not having that second flag by keeping your cool. Evans clearly didn’t do that. Might have been the worst officiating in that game.
The PI on PR was in my opinion.

I actually think they got that one right, despite wanting the 40 burger. It looked clear that his heel was down prior to the ball crossing the plane. When his entire foot was down, it was too close to call. But his heel does hit first and it was short.

The Evans/Lat scuffle should've been offsetting, no way around that.

But Boger's crew seemed to hand out bad calls on both sides. The only real yardage Tampa gained was on PI calls - at least 2 of which were completely bogus. We're on to Vegas.
Absolutely agree that they MAY have gotten it right on the non TD. It just didn't seem definitive that the TD call should have been reversed. Oh well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom