Laurinaitis article from Advocate (1 Viewer)

Since tOSU didn't win, it will surprise me if Laurinaitis declares for the draft. I have a feeling he will stay another year to try and redeem the last two "failures" (hard for me to call reaching the championship game two years in a row failure - I'd be on cloud 9 if the Saints could do that...). We shall see.

For the record, I still want Ellis at #10 if he'll only last that long.

JL isn't near as good as Willis and Ryans were in college. He's good, but those two were just better. JL is getting all the hype because he plays at OSU and he's Animal's kid.

So why did Ryans last till the 2nd round? Roman Harper was on that Alabama team and made some huge plays for them. Harper has hardly looked an all-pro. Chad Greenway and Bobby Carpenter were taken 14 and 15 spots ahead of Ryans respectively. The hyped linebackers on this board as I recall were D'Qwell Jackson and Abdul Hodge. At no point was Ryans regarded as the elite linebacker of the 2006 draft. There were question marks over Patrick Willis. Many on this board pointed to his rundown of Darren McFadden and criticised Willis's initial angle and questions him wrapping up tackles. People should stop pointing to the last defensive rookies of the year and realise that there were as many, if not more question marks over Ryans and Willis as Laurinaitis

Following on from my point above. Here was one NFL scout's (David Razanno) assessment of 6'2 229lb DeMeco Ryans before the 2006 draft “I don’t see what this guy can do for us, he’s undersized, not a take-on guy, gets muscled and covered up inside, lacks playing instincts, misses tackles and is suspect in pass coverage,” was the coach’s take on DeMeco to everyone present in the team meeting room.

Half the time the draft is all about hype and not as much about substance. That's why half the 1st round picks never last in the league.

See what he does in the Combine, can't lie about size there.

I think he looked scrawney and I would rather have Jenkins or a DT in the 1st..if he cant beat out Simoneaux or B Simmons he wont be playing other than ST in his 1st year. I think that a DT or top CB could start or get more PT than Laurenitis....JMHO

you guys know the patriots pick three spots before us, and you know how they like their linebackers. this discussion is pointless.

The guy made 18 tackles in one game.He didn't have his best game but it wasn't a cb with 18 tackles.So what this tells me is he is flying to the ball and giving everything he has.I have no problem with this guy in black and gold.About the Patriots,I do see them pursuing him unless they trade out of the pick.

Well, if the Patriots really want him then that should be all you need to hear to know what kind of player he is and will be. If they want him then so should we.
I think we have too many needs to try and trade up for him.

Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis might as well adopt the nickname "Big Kat," because Laurinaitis is the most overrated linebacker since Andy Katzenmoyer played for The Ohio State.

More than anyone on the Buckeyes, the LSU Tigers exposed Laurinaitis. He's not that athletic, physical or fast on the football field. If he goes in the first 15 picks of any draft, someone is making a huge mistake.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7658418

I am a big Laurinaitis fan and hope we draft him. Jason Whitlock is the nearest sports writer with whom I agree on personnel assessment. I put more stock into Mike D's assessment as I like the player, but just thought I'd give everyone some more info

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom