Lawn Care (1 Viewer)

MTDB1983

Very Banned
Reaction score
For us Southern folk, the time to tackle the main part of lawn care is upon us. I let my weeds grow out of control over the winter. I work out of town so it’s a bit difficult to keep up with my watering and weed killer/ Fert application schedules.

I broke down and bought the Earthway 2600-A spreader for a more even spread of fert and pre/post-emergents.

Will be laying Lesco 6-4-4 with Dithiopyr as the Pre-emergent.

Follows up by a 3 in 1 with Dicamba in a few weeks.

Then my Milorganite schedule picks up in April when the soil temps reach above 65 steadily.

My main foes right now are Henbit, Nutsedge, Oxalis, Doveweed, and Crabgrass. If the pre-emergent and the Dicamba don’t work, I will apply Atrazine. See how that works.

Anyone else have any lawn care on the docket upcoming?

I just got a letter from my HOA. After all the rain we got last week, a few springs of green are poking up in my yard and I need to get rid of them. Getting to ready to fill this brand new sprayer with Roundup and take it for a spin.

For us Southern folk, the time to tackle the main part of lawn care is upon us. I let my weeds grow out of control over the winter. I work out of town so it’s a bit difficult to keep up with my watering and weed killer/ Fert application schedules.

I broke down and bought the Earthway 2600-A spreader for a more even spread of fert and pre/post-emergents.

Will be laying Lesco 6-4-4 with Dithiopyr as the Pre-emergent.

Follows up by a 3 in 1 with Dicamba in a few weeks.

Then my Milorganite schedule picks up in April when the soil temps reach above 65 steadily.

My main foes right now are Henbit, Nutsedge, Oxalis, Doveweed, and Crabgrass. If the pre-emergent and the Dicamba don’t work, I will apply Atrazine. See how that works.

Anyone else have any lawn care on the docket upcoming?
What’s the best way to get rid of dollar weed? It’s everywhere and if I don’t pull it once a week it crops up in the garden beds like crazy.

I have 2 acres of lawn, beds, house, pool and lots of trees and I tried to do it all for the first few years. I even bought a zero turn, but I've never gotten fertilizing and pesticide right so I broke down in fall of 17 and hired my pest company to manage those aspects.

The benefits were apparent at first emergence of last spring. All of last summer the results were apparent. I noticed over the past couple of months that the winter weeds that used to run rampant are greatly diminished. Areas that I fought clover for years appear to have been conquered.

I think one of the greatest things they've done is handle ph problems associated with all the oak trees we have because grass has filled in thin spots while the azaleas are fuller and heavier with blooms than they've ever been.

I swear, I'm getting more reward for all the actual yard work I do because of that one little change.

In my neighborhood we have very good trash removal service. There is yard debris removal on Monday morning that will take anything you put out there. Even big logs and limbs.

Yet for some reason my neighbor behind us always burns his sheet. They’re nice people, very friendly, he went to Duke - I don’t understand why he insists on this behavior, but I haven’t said anything, yet. It’s just obnoxious, we’re out playing in the yard (my kids are 4 and 5) and then it gets all smoked out.

It’s not a neighborhood where the houses are all really spaced out - the air quality in other people’s yards is definitely impacted. It’s just weird that they don’t realize that is not cool. And they have a perfectly appropriate alternative.

I just got a letter from my HOA. After all the rain we got last week, a few springs of green are poking up in my yard and I need to get rid of them. Getting to ready to fill this brand new sprayer with Roundup and take it for a spin.

Please don’t use Roundup. It’s main ingredient Glyphosate is incredibly toxic for humans and animals. It’s a nightmare chemical and I wish we could ban the use of it.

Also the fact that it’s a non-selective herbicide means it will kill everything it touches. It’s got a dna disruptor that stunts plant cell growth.

Plus it’s a carcinogen.

What’s the best way to get rid of dollar weed? It’s everywhere and if I don’t pull it once a week it crops up in the garden beds like crazy.

Use Celcius broadleaf herbicide. It will kill it after it comes up. Then in the summer, like June, put down a pre-emergent like Prodiamine. Do that BEFORE the weeds grow up. 4 apps of that per year should be enough to rid it.

When you pull weeds, the seeds can fall out and sit there in the good grass until they germinate.

Dollarweed grows close to the ground, so after you kill it, get your grass healthy by cutting it to a specific height, depending on the type. What type?

If you keep grass high and healthy, it will choke out weeds and stand tall taking all the sunlight, which keeps weeds from getting any. Put 6 apps of fertilizer on it per year. I’d recommend Milorganite. U can get it from Lowe’s or THD for $15-$20.

I have 2 acres of lawn, beds, house, pool and lots of trees and I tried to do it all for the first few years. I even bought a zero turn, but I've never gotten fertilizing and pesticide right so I broke down in fall of 17 and hired my pest company to manage those aspects.

The benefits were apparent at first emergence of last spring. All of last summer the results were apparent. I noticed over the past couple of months that the winter weeds that used to run rampant are greatly diminished. Areas that I fought clover for years appear to have been conquered.

I think one of the greatest things they've done is handle ph problems associated with all the oak trees we have because grass has filled in thin spots while the azaleas are fuller and heavier with blooms than they've ever been.

I swear, I'm getting more reward for all the actual yard work I do because of that one little change.

You can get soil tests done by a website called Soil Savvy. U can order a kit off Amazon for like $30. And then they’ll send you back a graph showing you the level of macro and micronutrients, and a plan for how you can remedy it.

Please don’t use Roundup. It’s main ingredient Glyphosate is incredibly toxic for humans and animals. It’s a nightmare chemical and I wish we could ban the use of it.

Also the fact that it’s a non-selective herbicide means it will kill everything it touches. It’s got a dna disruptor that stunts plant cell growth.

Plus it’s a carcinogen.

This^

My guy uses something for dollar weed that is fairly non-toxic, definitely not roundup (my little kids play in the grass, roundup is prohibited). I’ll ask what it is. It’s something he mixes.

I find that a combo of making sure you get ph correctly dialed in, then leaving your lawn get longer it chokes out the majority of weeds as the grass gets healthier and the weeds don’t germinate as easy.

In my neighborhood we have very good trash removal service. There is yard debris removal on Monday morning that will take anything you put out there. Even big logs and limbs.

Yet for some reason my neighbor behind us always burns his shirt. They’re nice people, very friendly, he went to Duke - I don’t understand why he insists on this behavior, but I haven’t said anything, yet. It’s just obnoxious, we’re out playing in the yard (my kids are 4 and 5) and then it gets all smoked out.

It’s not a neighborhood where the houses are all really spaced out - the air quality in other people’s yards is definitely impacted. It’s just weird that they don’t realize that is not cool. And they have a perfectly appropriate alternative.
I have no comment till I find out where A.O.C. stands on garbage.

I find that a combo of making sure you get ph correctly dialed in, then leaving your lawn get longer it chokes out the majority of weeds as the grass gets healthier and the weeds don’t germinate as easy.

This is exactly it. Nailed it. Most yards can thrive with a simple mix of fertilizer and mowing properly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom