Lawn Care (1 Viewer)

All kidding aside, we do have a gate at the end of the driveway (it's powered but you have to press a button). I actually think it's kind of silly, it isn't really necessary - we're in a cul-de-sac in the back of the neighborhood and few people have fences, it's a pretty open environment. I wouldn't have put a gate there. Apparently the people who built the house had four dogs so they wanted to keep them in. It's actually kind of nice having when the kids (4 and 6) are playing in the yard and I don't want to directly supervise them. Just close the gate and tell them if they climb the wall, that's their hide.

And I was really just posting that cherry tree for the lawn discussion. It was beautiful for about a week. Next time I'll do a better job cropping.

Just this morning sprayed an area of the front yard where nothing will grow but creeping charlie and other pernicious weeds. Getting ready to put down mulch, and sprayed with 15% vinegar, 2 cups of salt, and 1 oz dish soap. The yard smells like a pickle, but the weeds are dying. I'll put the mulch in, and no more weeds.

Per what gallon? That much salt scares me.

Do you not want stuff to ever grow there?

If you are having problems growing in a certain area the best bet is to do a soil test. Your ph could be off and not allow the uptake of nutrients.

Your state ag center usually does tests cheap for you. You will then know what is really going on.

Yeah that creeping Charlie I have never had to deal with it but I do know you need to bag your clippings if it is in your turf or you will just spread it around.

It is in the mint family and grows like mad like it.

Yeah that creeping Charlie I have never had to deal with it but I do know you need to bag your clippings if it is in your turf or you will just spread it around.

It is in the mint family and grows like mad like it.
Yep, burn it or throw it away. You can't compost it.

I only use the vinegar and salt solution where I want nothing to grow. I'm going to put planters in the mulched area along with some hardscape and a birdbath. Might even put me up another hammock :hihi:

Carolina geranium fyi.

I have quite a bit of this stuff in my backyard.
Will try the atrazine
I get that mess as well as wild strawberries. Just like Creeping Charlie, knock them out early if they show up. Once they get a foothold it's a battle.

All kidding aside, we do have a gate at the end of the driveway (it's powered but you have to press a button). I actually think it's kind of silly, it isn't really necessary - we're in a cul-de-sac in the back of the neighborhood and few people have fences, it's a pretty open environment. I wouldn't have put a gate there. Apparently the people who built the house had four dogs so they wanted to keep them in. It's actually kind of nice having when the kids (4 and 6) are playing in the yard and I don't want to directly supervise them. Just close the gate and tell them if they climb the wall, that's their hide.

You can swap out the button for one that's controlled by your car's built-in garage door opener.

You can swap out the button for one that's controlled by your car's built-in garage door opener.

Yep. My tech guy said he could put it on the home control system but that seemed unnecessary. Would have required a wireless communicator.

Yep, burn it or throw it away. You can't compost it.

I only use the vinegar and salt solution where I want nothing to grow. I'm going to put planters in the mulched area along with some hardscape and a birdbath. Might even put me up another hammock :hihi:

Hey here is an idea. Why do you not just burn it in that area.

If you get a torch for a propane tank like you put a torch down roof on would knock the crap out of it.

I use to have an old brick area at my old place and would burn the weeds between the bricks. The great thing about it is it would get hot enough to make seeds not germinate. Only had to do it once or twice a year. Would just strap the tank to a hand truck wheel around and burn sheet

It was kinda fun and not salting the Earth.

Hey here is an idea. Why do you not just burn it in that area.

If you get a torch for a propane tank like you put a torch down roof on would knock the crap out of it.

I use to have an old brick area at my old place and would burn the weeds between the bricks. The great thing about it is it would get hot enough to make seeds not germinate. Only had to do it once or twice a year. Would just strap the tank to a hand truck wheel around and burn shirt

It was kinda fun and not salting the Earth.
My neighbor burns them after he salts them. It is a technique that occurred to me today as I saw all the dead weeds :hihi:

When I got my dirt for my house, they brought me a heavy sand mixture for a 4' slope... I have hell keeping the grass growing in the summer. Dries out so bad...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom