Lawn Care (1 Viewer)

Is it likely that roundup-ready crops improve worldwide sustenance, staving off hunger by increasing yields, even as consumption of all the chemical byproducts of those crops increases incidence of cancer or other health problems in some or all populations? That does seem to be the worldwide trend anyhow -- more stuff like cancer combined with longer lifespans.

Some folks concentrate on what's bad about pesticides/GMOs/mass food production, and others do the opposite, concentrating on things like how so many more people can be fed by using chemically-enhanced production and industrial agriculture. I'm sure I'm not using all the technically correct words here as I refer to these things, but I hope y'all get where I'm coming from.

I think it may come down to this: Healthier food isn't necessarily better than MORE food when you consider there are still people in the world who suffer from lack of food. I'm not absolutely sure if the Roundup discussion connects here, but I think it might in some way, cause Monsanto.

Is it likely that roundup-ready crops improve worldwide sustenance, staving off hunger by increasing yields, even as consumption of all the chemical byproducts of those crops increases incidence of cancer or other health problems in some or all populations? That does seem to be the worldwide trend anyhow -- more stuff like cancer combined with longer lifespans.

Some folks concentrate on what's bad about pesticides/GMOs/mass food production, and others do the opposite, concentrating on things like how so many more people can be fed by using chemically-enhanced production and industrial agriculture. I'm sure I'm not using all the technically correct words here as I refer to these things, but I hope y'all get where I'm coming from.

I think it may come down to this: Healthier food isn't necessarily better than MORE food when you consider there are still people in the world who suffer from lack of food. I'm not absolutely sure if the Roundup discussion connects here, but I think it might in some way, cause Monsanto.

Good perspective. My uncle has a Ph. D. in agriculture and recently retired from USDA as one of the agency's top soil scientists. He's a smart guy with interesting perspectives about a lot of things and we often get in long discussions over many beers during the holidays or family gatherings. He firmly believes that the interests of feeding the human population are best served by GMO and other agro-technology that makes our food production far more resistant to catastophy - and that many of us have just been fortunate to live during an era where crop failure and resulting famine just aren't part of reality for us. But make no mistake, those things are possible and agro-engineering helps us defend against it.

My wife is on the other side. She doesn't carry a firm belief that GMO or engineered foods are bad, per se, she just has a strong instinct to avoid unnecessary exposure to anything created in a lab or human synthetics . . . because we often learn, decades later, that these things can be harmful. So it's a sensible prophylactic thing, in her mind. It isn't some pathological thing, she doesn't worry about eating things that aren't organic when we go out or anything like that. But on the stuff she can control easily, she chooses organic/non-GMO whenever possible.

Me, I tend to find that the organic products often taste better. For example, I used to never buy organic bananas, I figured the fruit is protected by the peel, so who cares what they spray on it. Then one day I had an organic banana, and the flavor was remarkable - I became a renewed fan of bananas. I eat them (organic) all the time now.

So what is your opinion of the multimillion dollar settlement awarded in the favor of Dewayne Johnson?

Wait, what happened to the Rock? Is that why his eyebrow does that? too much Round-Up??

f7bb86bbbe9353179a5bd66084e2220a.jpg

Hardemans team has presented testimony from his doctors, along with a range of experts who have discussed in detail the research linking NHL to glyphosate.”

Like I said, just not worth the risk.

Now the NHL is involved too??

I suspected those Canadians from the start. I bet Oye is to blame for all of this...

Good perspective. My uncle has a Ph. D. in agriculture and recently retired from USDA as one of the agency's top soil scientists. He's a smart guy with interesting perspectives about a lot of things and we often get in long discussions over many beers during the holidays or family gatherings. He firmly believes that the interests of feeding the human population are best served by GMO and other agro-technology that makes our food production far more resistant to catastophy - and that many of us have just been fortunate to live during an era where crop failure and resulting famine just aren't part of reality for us. But make no mistake, those things are possible and agro-engineering helps us defend against it.

My wife is on the other side. She doesn't carry a firm belief that GMO or engineered foods are bad, per se, she just has a strong instinct to avoid unnecessary exposure to anything created in a lab or human synthetics . . . because we often learn, decades later, that these things can be harmful. So it's a sensible prophylactic thing, in her mind. It isn't some pathological thing, she doesn't worry about eating things that aren't organic when we go out or anything like that. But on the stuff she can control easily, she chooses organic/non-GMO whenever possible.

Me, I tend to find that the organic products often taste better. For example, I used to never buy organic bananas, I figured the fruit is protected by the peel, so who cares what they spray on it. Then one day I had an organic banana, and the flavor was remarkable - I became a renewed fan of bananas. I eat them (organic) all the time now.
The problem I have with GMO's is with the companies like Monsanto strong arming small farmers. It's criminal what they did to small farmers that didn't fall into line.

Try broccoli that you grow yourself and cook 10 minutes after cutting.

It's not even the same color.

I need to figure out how to get grass to grow in my backyard. It's basically surrounded by oak trees on 3 of 4 sides, so there is some grass around the edges, but the middle of the yard is bare. Looking back at old pictures from the previous owners, we can tell there was more grass in the middle when they were here. Not sure what would have changed since then, though.
Unless you've pruned your trees, they're continuing to grow and shade over your yard. 6 years ago when we bought this house, we too had more sun. I have the same problem, and would love to just call in a tree service for some "thinning" but my wife is adamantly opposed. However, the Fates have not been in her favor and we've lost 3 trees due to storms in the last five years. In 10 more years I'll have all the sun I want.

I'm done with leaves, sticks, too much shade, and anything else including squirrels which results from too many trees. I think forest are mystical, magical places but I don't want to live in one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom