Lawn Care (1 Viewer)

Update on my Lawn guys. After one app of Dithiopyr followed by one app of Milorganite and 2 watering sessions, my entire yard has come back to life in less than 2 weeks.

I’m shocked bc I expected it to take 4 or more. I’m guessing the soil temps were warmer than I anticipated them being.

Milorganite works wonders. It took my yard from brown and light pale green to a deep green bluish color in less than 7 days.

Next thing I have to do is overseed with Centipede grass to fill in where the weeds took over.

Surprisingly, there is a patch of Bermuda that decided to wake up. Wasn’t expecting that.

How’s yalls yards coming along?

And it shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to certify something organic, which only serves to increase the price of eating healthier for consumers.
i bought something “organic” cotton not too long ago.

thinking about it... why is it not “regular” considered “organic”? they both have to be grown. it is god damn the same process and material, except one doesn’t have rabbits pissing on it but ?

Awesome thanks guys!

So for the Fertilome weed free zone, do you use the spray or the granules?? And is it safe around kids? I have a rotary spreader so I usually use that to put down the spectracide on the whole lawn. Do you guys recommend or have any experience with that?

The weed free zone is a liquid. I mix 1-1.5 oz per gallon and spray with a garden sprayer. I'm not as familiar with weed control by granuals.

Good info, so if I applied the Fertilome now and weed and feed mid April would applying the Milogarnite still be a good idea or is that overkill?

OK, so I seem to have a couple different types of grass growing in different areas of my yard. I took a couple pictures and hope y'all can help me identify them.

The first picture is what there is the most of. I think it's either centipede or St Augustine, but I'm not sure which. This is in most of the front yard and then the patch in the corner of my back yard where it grows away from the oak tree shade.

The second is part of a patch of grass on the edge of my driveway / side yard. I actually really like the way it looks and feels. The patches of it are soft but thick. What is it though?

Attachments

• 20190321_175205.jpg
    20190321_175205.jpg
    995.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190321_175139.jpg
    20190321_175139.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
OK, so I seem to have a couple different types of grass growing in different areas of my yard. I took a couple pictures and hope y'all can help me identify them.

The first picture is what there is the most of. I think it's either centipede or St Augustine, but I'm not sure which. This is in most of the front yard and then the patch in the corner of my back yard where it grows away from the oak tree shade.

The second is part of a patch of grass on the edge of my driveway / side yard. I actually really like the way it looks and feels. The patches of it are soft but thick. What is it though?

The first one is St. Aug....but not sure about the second picture.

The second one isn’t a grass, it’s a weed. It’s a sedge, probably nutsedge.

The first pic does look like St. Aug, but very sick unhealthy St. Aug.

Do you fertilize? Water? When you mow, what height do you mow to? Are your blades sharp or dull?

The best way to keep grass healthy is to mow with a sharp blade to a proper height depending on the grass type, water, and fertilize.

Dull lawn mower blades rip grass instead of cutting it, which introduces fungus and disease into the grassplant.

Do these three things and it’ll be back to normal in as little as 2-4 weeks.

I can’t really see the second one on my phone, but looking back at it, it actually could be zoysia. If it grows all spread out then it is, but if it grows in little tufts then it’s a sedge in all likelihood

I can’t really see the second one on my phone, but looking back at it, it actually could be zoysia. If it grows all spread out then it is, but if it grows in little tufts then it’s a sedge in all likelihood

Could it be Bermuda? I do live next to a golf course that was supposedly developed with Bermuda grass.

Attachments

• 20190322_132509.jpg
    20190322_132509.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
The second one isn’t a grass, it’s a weed. It’s a sedge, probably nutsedge.

The first pic does look like St. Aug, but very sick unhealthy St. Aug.

Do you fertilize? Water? When you mow, what height do you mow to? Are your blades sharp or dull?

The best way to keep grass healthy is to mow with a sharp blade to a proper height depending on the grass type, water, and fertilize.

Dull lawn mower blades rip grass instead of cutting it, which introduces fungus and disease into the grassplant.

Do these three things and it’ll be back to normal in as little as 2-4 weeks.

I do fertilize once or twice a year usually. I'll water occasionally but probably not enough. I think that I've probably been cutting it too short, and I've recently raised the deck level. Blades are sharp as it's a new mower.

We just moved here last year and I'm starting to try to get the yard right now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom