Lawnmower talk (1 Viewer)

We have a Husqvarna self-propelled with a Honda motor. The only problem we have had with it is the drive belt for the self-propelled part came off after 4 years due to a stick being run over and lodged into the part where the belt was. It was a quick fix and was back up and running. Also after 4 years it needed to warm up a little bit more before running it, but I removed the air filter and squirted some carb cleaner through the hole and it has been fine ever since. It starts fast and runs strong.

I think the mowers are largely all similar, the difference comes into play on the motors themselves. I have always heard that Honda made some of the better small engines, so am glad our Husqvarna came with a Honda.

Before I moved I had a Husqvarna that lasted me about 10 years. Keep the blade sharp and you are good to go. Also try not to use gas with any ethanol in it. It will gum up your engine. There are Ethanol Free Gas options around but not on every corner. You might have to find a station and just remember to keep using it just for your lawnmower.

I have a Zero-Turn now that I have 3 acres to cut but I still have my Husqvarna as a backup for small area's around the house.

Before I moved I had a Husqvarna that lasted me about 10 years. Keep the blade sharp and you are good to go. Also try not to use gas with any ethanol in it. It will gum up your engine. There are Ethanol Free Gas options around but not on every corner. You might have to find a station and just remember to keep using it just for your lawnmower.

I have a Zero-Turn now that I have 3 acres to cut but I still have my Husqvarna as a backup for small area's around the house.
Agreed about the no-ethanol gas. My wife used normal unleaded in ours which is why I had to hit it with the carb cleaner. Since then has only been 93 octane alcohol free gas and we have had zero problems. I found the station we get our gas from on this website.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=LA

Troybilt w/Honda engine from lowe's. I clean air filter and replace when needed. Change oil and sharpen/replace blade every season. This is the fifth season of use. Starts right up, cuts well and the self propelled feature is great (I have a steep grade in the back yard).

My 20YO Honda always starts within a couple of pulls, even after winter hibernation.

My $99 (disposable, I'd planned) Lawn Machine bought for a different yard has 10 years' use on two oil changes, cuts well, and won't die (thanks, B&S).

Then again, with the right lawn, I'd opt for the zen-ness and clean cut of Oye's reel mower. (y)

Ok here is my two cents.

It does not matter what you get what matters is the engine.

Get a Honda or a Kawasaki engine on what ever you choose.

Kawasaki engines will be on commercial grade equipment but you can get Honda's on homeowner stuff.

I have owned them all. Toro loves to charge crazy money for parts but good machine. Snappers are good and worth the price.

Ybravo is my personal favorite right now built like a tank. Price is not bad and stupid fast.

But knowing what I know now if I was a homeowner I would get whatever Honda is for sale at the big box stores. Engines are good the drive also works pretty good.

Buy a good homeowner grade one and take care of it will last a long time.

Oh and if your mower has a cut off switch for the fuel turn the fuel off and allow it to run until the carb is dry every time. Today's fuel sucks.

Won't have carb problems that way.

Ok here is my two cents.

It does not matter what you get what matters is the engine.

Get a Honda or a Kawasaki engine on what ever you choose.

Kawasaki engines will be on commercial grade equipment but you can get Honda's on homeowner stuff.

I have owned them all. Toro loves to charge crazy money for parts but good machine. Snappers are good and worth the price.

Ybravo is my personal favorite right now built like a tank. Price is not bad and stupid fast.

But knowing what I know now if I was a homeowner I would get whatever Honda is for sale at the big box stores. Engines are good the drive also works pretty good.

Buy a good homeowner grade one and take care of it will last a long time.

Oh and if your mower has a cut off switch for the fuel turn the fuel off and allow it to run until the carb is dry every time. Today's fuel sucks.

Won't have carb problems that way.
This.

I’ve had lots of different brands and engines. Honda, while more costly, has been the best by far.

The fuel line cut off is great advice too. If your mower doesn’t have one installed, have one put on. They’re easy to do it yourself.

This.

I’ve had lots of different brands and engines. Honda, while more costly, has been the best by far.

The fuel line cut off is great advice too. If your mower doesn’t have one installed, have one put on. They’re easy to do it yourself.
This.

The Honda's are good.

Yeah I do that for a living.

I know what I spend on tools is just plain crazy to a homeowner.

I have no problem spending over a grand on a 21 mower. When the ground speed is 4.5 mph and the engine has a spin on oil filter like a car you pay for it. I will beat the living crap out of it for years. I usually just want a new one and it will get handed down to family or a friend.

If you ever get the chance to use a true commercial 21" walk behind mower you will be floored. They are fast and you don't push they pull you.

The reason I said honda is because they are the closest to a commercial mower you can get in a homeowner grade.

I’m having to replace a Snapper self propelled lawn mower I bought when I was 15. I’m 55 now so had it for 40 years. Losing that lawn mower has been tough on me. It’s almost as bad as losing a friend because I’ve had it so long.. It was a commercial grade mower when I bought it brand new and paid $600 for it back then. I definitely got my money’s worth.

The Honda's are good.

Yeah I do that for a living.

I know what I spend on tools is just plain crazy to a homeowner.

I have no problem spending over a grand on a 21 mower. When the ground speed is 4.5 mph and the engine has a spin on oil filter like a car you pay for it. I will beat the living crap out of it for years. I usually just want a new one and it will get handed down to family or a friend.

If you ever get the chance to use a true commercial 21" walk behind mower you will be floored. They are fast and you don't push they pull you.

The reason I said honda is because they are the closest to a commercial mower you can get in a homeowner grade.
Any idea exactly how fast?

And do you have any Recommendations around $1,000?
Top 3

Thanks

Any idea exactly how fast?

And do you have any Recommendations around $1,000?
Top 3

Thanks
Yeah depends on what you are doing.

Ybravo 21 or 25 would be my first choice. They are similar to a snapper deck so lots of suction. Handle is just plain huge and all cables run inside so they don't get snagged on hedges or any of that. Drive is just as fast as Toro commercial without the 450 dollar transmission replacement part cost. What I have been using the last three seasons. It is a tank in strength but not as heavy as the Toro.

Snapper commercial you can order on line for about a grand. Good mowers.

Third would be a Honda home owner model. At whatever box store sells it. The difference between that mower and the commercial Honda is not that much.

With that said I would buy a used Toro or exmark. Just would not buy new. Stay away from the blade brake clutch models if you can. Just more to break and rob power. Zone start is the way to go.

Do not buy any of the 30 inch Toro or Exmark stuff underpowered big time. The weight kills that transmission quick. Hard to turn.

I would rather the Kawasaki fj 180 as an engine. Has a spin on oil filter they last a long time and make good torque. About 8ft pounds.

The only other engine choice would be a honda. Just stay away from Briggs small engines unless you are buying a huge small engine. They make great 35hp efi engines

Oh one last thing. All manufacturers set the rpm too low. It is a way to not warranty too many engines. They are usually 4 to 600 rpms too low. The first thing I do to a new mower is put a tachometer hour meter on it and adjust the rpm. Now I don't use them at wide open all the time but when it is wet and need more suction it is an option.

Any other questions just shoot. Don't be afraid to buy online. Your local dealer is nice but they usually won't stock enough parts to get your stuff up and running quick.

• 1Like
Reactions: You

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom