LB Gary Guyton (1 Viewer)

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Familiarize yourself with the name, Haven't heard the NFLN analysts discuss him yet but I'm fairly certain his "stock will rise".

6'1" 5/8ths
246lb
Senior
4.54 in the 40
Looked great in his drills
5 solo tackles in the Senior Bowl
2 year starter at Georgia Tech under Tenuta.

Good hands, good backpedal, quick feet. Projects SLB and WLB.

Spam, you just gotta luv the NFL combine. Its there in your face and you can judge for your self. I wish I was home to watch live but I'll catch up when I get home this evening.

Thanks for the heads up.

Spam, I was gonna PM you, but im sure others may be wondering.

But what do you think about Curtis Lofton. I have heard small nuggets from you on him but not really your analyses

Familiarize yourself with the name, Haven't heard the NFLN analysts discuss him yet but I'm fairly certain his "stock will rise".

6'1" 5/8ths
246lb
Senior
4.54 in the 40
Looked great in his drills
5 solo tackles in the Senior Bowl
2 year starter at Georgia Tech under Tenuta.

Good hands, good backpedal, quick feet. Projects SLB and WLB.

Was there talk of what round he was projecting to go? It seems most all of the prospects being discussed on this board are all 1st to 2nd round players. I was wondering if he was going to be around in the 3rd or 4th round to perhaps add more depth to the Saints best defensive draft ever :9: .

thats what I love about this time of the year, alot of guys you never heared of climb up the ropes and make a position that was thought to be weak strong, or stronger, we all fight over the top 5 at each position not knowing there are like 10-15 guys that played that position and excelled, we just dont know about that other 5-10 because of the school they went to or the media just ignored until they bust out a 4.5..then they do some research and see the guy made just as many plays as the top rated guy .

Spam, I was gonna PM you, but im sure others may be wondering.

But what do you think about Curtis Lofton. I have heard small nuggets from you on him but not really your analyses

I forget who said it on NFLN but I agree that he projects better as a 3-4 ILB then a 4-3 MLB. He's a bit of a throwback almost at the position and the trend for 4-3 MLBs is towards faster guys with a deeper range and the ability to cover. He'd might still make a good 4-3 MLB but I would think he'd be more valuable to a team like New England.

said:
Was there talk of what round he was projecting to go? It seems most all of the prospects being discussed on this board are all 1st to 2nd round players. I was wondering if he was going to be around in the 3rd or 4th round to perhaps add more depth to the Saints best defensive draft ever

I have no idea where he's projected by anyone but if I had to guess, yes, I'd say 3rd round or so would be a fair assessment. While he was "productive" for over 2 years at Georgia Tech he wasn't an All-American or anything. You're "projecting" a little with him based on physical talent which can be particularly dangerous at the LB position.

Honestly I saw all of 2 Georgia Tech games this past year (one was the bowl game) and I can't say I specifically noticed him then. I'll have to go back and see if I can't find some more games and take a second look.

That kid is a project at best, he's just way to raw & not very instinctive IMO.

Here's a video of him throwing a special teams block from a few years back
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/djiSTaswaFc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/djiSTaswaFc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

i was at the practices here in mobile for the senior bowl. he was all over the field..the one thing that i noticed was his closing speed..

interviewed him as well and he was cool to talk to...pretty open, honest, confident..

Guyton is definitely a later round prospect. He has great physical tools - not as much on the natural LB instinct. He seemed to improve over the last couple years. He would take a couple years to really contribute on defense, but could contribute immediately on special teams. A good guy, and I wouldn't be upset if the Saints took him late (no earlier than the 5th IMO).

Also, the official 40 time is 4.47 - fastest 40 time for a LB by 0.04 per the nfl.com combine site. Currently listed as top LB in vertical and broad jump as well.

Really? How many Georgia Tech games did you watch?

Only one and I can honestly say that! I also saw him in the Senior bowl and I scrutinized him along with every other LB & DT that played in the game. I really enjoy trying to out guess pro GM's as to whom projects well to the NFL after the first rounders and have done so many times. The Saints needs are plain as the nose on your face & later towards the draft I will do the same as you Spam and drop names as to whom I like. Nothing against this kid he would not be a bad pickup in say the fifth-sixth round. Any earlier than that would a complete reach IMO. He is solid against the run but a total liability in coverage.

Guyton is definitely a later round prospect. He has great physical tools - not as much on the natural LB instinct. He seemed to improve over the last couple years. He would take a couple years to really contribute on defense, but could contribute immediately on special teams. A good guy, and I wouldn't be upset if the Saints took him late (no earlier than the 5th IMO).

Also, the official 40 time is 4.47 - fastest 40 time for a LB by 0.04 per the nfl.com combine site. Currently listed as top LB in vertical and broad jump as well.
5th is good for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom