LBer is a MUST for FA (1 Viewer)

Slim K

Suggestions?
Reaction score
I was checking out the FA LBers and this site showed the 2009 FA LBers. The LBer pool for 2009 is really not something that would get you excited. The only good players on there are all in their 30's with the exception of one. Those players are; Ray Lewis, Mike Peterson, Takeo Spikes and Rosevelt Colvin (who isn't that impressive). The only good young talent coming out into FA is Bart Scott: 93 tackles, 1 sack, 7 PassDefs, 2 INTs.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="70%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>piece of work</TD><TD>Player Name</TD><TD>FA Status</TD><TD>Previous Team</TD><TD>Current Team</TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Ken Amato</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Tennessee Titans</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Monty Beisel</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Arizona Cardinals</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Matt Chatham</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>New York Jets</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Ryan Claridge</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>New England Patriots</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Dan Cody</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Baltimore Ravens</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Rosevelt Colvin</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>New England Patriots</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Angelo Crowell</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Troy Evans</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>New Orleans Saints</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Michael Hawkes</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Green Bay Packers</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Kyries Hebert</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Cincinnati Bengals</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Clint Kriewaldt</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Pittsburgh Steelers</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Jason Kyle</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Carolina Panthers</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Kenard Lang</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Denver Broncos</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Paris Lenon</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Detroit Lions</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Ray Lewis</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Baltimore Ravens</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>James Maxwell</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Cincinnati Bengals</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Mike Peterson</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Jacksonville Jaguars</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Carlos Polk</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>San Diego Chargers</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Bart Scott</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Baltimore Ravens</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Derek M. Smith</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>San Francisco 49ers</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Takeo Spikes</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Philadelphia Eagles</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Gary Stills</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Baltimore Ravens</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Pat Thomas</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Kansas City Chiefs</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Nate Webster</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Denver Broncos</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Rod Wilson</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Chicago Bears</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>LB</TD><TD>Jamie Winborn</TD><TD>UFA</TD><TD>Denver Broncos</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This really makes me want the FO to either attempt to get Lance Briggs or draft a big name LBer in the draft.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=LB&y=2009

EDIT: I'm not sure if that site is correct because it has Nhamdi Asmougha being a FA in 2009 and Asante Samuel and Marcus Trufant are not listed as FAs.

BUILD THREW THE DRAFT!! we cannot build a team with free agent pick ups, that's why we been so bad for the last 40yrs, we don't develop our own talent, we let other people do that , then we overpay for there services.....the good teams are good cause they use the draft as a farm system and draft guys who fit there schemes, we can plug a hole or two with free agents, but we cant build with them....I'd rather have a young team that made mistakes than a old team that makes the same mistakes.

The 2008 pool for linebackers is not something you would get excited about.

We have to sign linebackers from a weak 2008 pool to avoid signing them from a weak 2009 pool?

The 2008 pool for linebackers is not something you would get excited about.

We have to sign linebackers from a weak 2008 pool to avoid signing them from a weak 2009 pool?

Lance Briggs, Karlos Dansby (most likely won't hit the market), Demorrio Williams and Michael Boley (RFA) are all good LBers none of which are in there 30's.

Lance Briggs, Karlos Dansby (most likely won't hit the market), Demorrio Williams and Michael Boley (RFA) are all good LBers none of which are in there 30's.

You've established the problem. Dansby is a lock to be franchised, Boley is a RFA who will draw a first round tender.

Lance Briggs is the only "name" on the market worth getting excited about.

Spikes is past his prime, seen him play this year in all the Philly games I get on TV. Besides, how'd the last lineback do that we got from Philly? LOL

I'm not saying this guy would solve our problems on defense by any means... or even at LB for that matter, but I'd really like to see the Saints go after UFA WLB Boss Bailey from the Lions. The guy was a FREAK SHOW when he was at UGA, and I really hoped we would draft him. He's battled some nagging injuries during his time in Detroit, but I think he's still got a chance to be really good. The change of scenery could do wonders for him.

He'd come pretty cheap, and he'd be an upgrade over Shanle IMO.

Can Bart scott play MLB?-hes nasty too-would give the D attitude

BUILD THREW THE DRAFT!! we cannot build a team with free agent pick ups, that's why we been so bad for the last 40yrs, we don't develop our own talent, we let other people do that , then we overpay for there services.....the good teams are good cause they use the draft as a farm system and draft guys who fit there schemes, we can plug a hole or two with free agents, but we cant build with them....I'd rather have a young team that made mistakes than a old team that makes the same mistakes.

No one is proposing that we "build" the team through free agency. But when the team drafts poorly the year before, more ground has to be made up through free agency. In an ideal world, we would draft well enough to where we don't need to make any major free agent pickups, but this isn't the case for most teams. Good teams make use of both the draft and free agency. You think the Pats would be in their position if it wasn't for acquiring Randy Moss? It's not that you should stress free agency over the draft or vice versa. I think each period is crucial towards building a contender.

The reality is this year we have to delve more into the free agent market than usual, seeing as how bad our draft was last year. No use crying over spilled milk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom