LC's power rankings - week 3 (1 Viewer)

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
1. Florida - Struggled against Tennessee, but that was one of those games where the other team just played way above their head. I still think they're the class of the CFB world right now.

T-2. Texas - Well, we didn't blow them out, but we won. The bad news is that Colt looks to be pressing and is way behind where he was last year. He needs to get it together if the Horns will contend. The good news is that the defense looks much improved and pretty formidable.

T-2. Alabama - Typical Saban coached team. Big beefy mofos who play smash mouth football. Patsy win, no movement from #3. Won't be tested until October 10 vs Ole Miss

4. Cal - I love this team, obviously more than others. This is a classic potent Jeff Tedford offense, but with a real running game. Jahvid Best is insanely good.

5. Oklahoma - Yeah, I know they lost to BYU, but that was very much a "right time right place" perfect storm for BYU. OU is rolling again now that Landry Jones has had time with the first team offense. They have a stellar defense and Jones has had passer ratings of 156.02 and 186.55 the last two weeks. This is still a very good team.

6. Boise - Hard to place them. Do I think they'd beat the 3-4 teams below them? Not sure. Their schedule is going to kill them, but this is a solid team.

7. USC - I fully expect large quantities of crying and whining by SEC fanboys due to this ranking, but Washington is a good team and I still believe that USC would beat the teams below them the majority of the time. They need one of the QBs to step up and mature fast. My power rankings, unlike the polls, have no bias as far as "punishing teams" for losses. It's simply who I think would beat whom in a head to head matchup on a neutral field, and I think USC would generally beat the teams below them on most occasions.

8. Miami - This team is legit. We're about to find out exactly how legit. In the next two weeks they play @VT and Oklahoma. That's a brutal stretch... @FSU, GT, @ VT, OU. If they somehow manage to go 4-0, this is a true national title contender. What a turnaround so far for the U. You have to respect the balls on the coach/AD for this schedule.

9. Ole Miss - Still untested, so they're very hard to place. I still think they're slightly overrated, but at this point I can't find anyone to put above them. This spot seems about right.

10. Ohio State - Rebounded very nicely against a Toledo team that can score in bunches. They have a very solid defense. The big quetsion is if they can score against real teams. Unfortunately (as always), they won't be tested for about 8 more weeks until they play Penn State, who isn't all that good anyway. This team has 11-1 written all over it.

11. Florida State - The loss to Miami doesn't look bad at all now, especially given that they were one dropped ball away from winning. They absolutely thumped BYU who I believed was a solid team. The Noles are legit.

12. LSU - The win against Washington is looking better and better. This is a solid team but not a great one. They play @MSU, then Georgia, then Florida. Schedule starts to ramp up now. We'll see how they fare in the next few weeks. They'll either be out of my top 15 or in my top 5 in three weeks. We'll see.

13. Virginia Tech - This is very much a typical VT team. Good, but not in the top tier or two. Will always lose to the really good opponents, will squeak by the middle-ranked teams, and will beat up on patsies.

14. TCU - Somewhat respectable win against Virginia, then a 56-21 win over that teacher's school 30 minutes south of me. This team will be almost impossible to rank all year since they don't play anyone. Toughest team on the schedule is 10/24 @ BYU.

15. Penn State - Meh.

9. Ole Miss - Still untested, so they're very hard to place. I still think they're slightly overrated, but at this point I can't find anyone to put above them. This spot seems about right.

Ole Miss fans and everyone else is going to know a hell of a lot more about this team Thursday night.

South Carolina isn't "great" or even that particularly good by any means. But they're a solid SEC bowl team and traveling that far on a Thursday night, especially with the total lack of routine Ole Miss has had early on due to flu/bye week/cupcakes is going to make this a lot more difficult then it should be.

If Ole Miss rolls South Carolina, Ole Miss has to be considered a legit SEC Championship (and by extension) potential BCS bowl-spot contender. Alabama will be the first real test, but if Ole Miss can go on the road and beat a decent SC team on a Thursday night, they should be favored in every game but Bama and LSU and should be about even in those two games.

Ole Miss loses or even struggles to win, I think there are a lot of unanswered questions left about the team, none of them good. They could still turn it on and have a good season, but I don't think it'd be a safe prediction anymore.

Big game Thursday night for us.

12. LSU - The win against Washington is looking better and better. This is a solid team but not a great one. They play @MSU, then Georgia, then Florida. Schedule starts to ramp up now. We'll see how they fare in the next few weeks. They'll either be out of my top 15 or in my top 5 in three weeks. We'll see.

Not sure why it's either/or on that. A route of MSU, decent win over Georgia, and modestly competitive loss to Florida seems likely, and should still keep them in the 10-15 range in my opinion.

1. Florida
2. Alabama
3. Texas
4. Ole Miss
5. Penn St
6. Cal
7. Oklahoma
8. LSU
9. Boise
10. Miami

Texas just isnt looking good, when they face Oklahoma while playing the way there playing....hello Cotton Bowl.....
Cal looks good but there in the PAC-10 I never get too high on a PAC-10 team not USC, they always seem too fail.....
Ole Miss is my team that I am high on.... even though I hope my Tigers upset them this year....
Penn St meh is right but there looking solid on defense which will be the key for them this year.....
Boise St at best will be my #9 ranked team overall....... they would get beat by all the teams ranked above them.....
LSU... they remind me of the OSU team that won against Miami on the bad call..... they beat teams every week but looked bad in every game....

Last edited:
Not sure why it's either/or on that. A route of MSU, decent win over Georgia, and modestly competitive loss to Florida seems likely, and should still keep them in the 10-15 range in my opinion.

True, I guess it could go down like that, in which case I'd say 8-10 is about the right range. I guess the point was more that I'll be able to place them a little more confidently after that stretch.

1. Florida - Struggled against Tennessee, but that was one of those games where the other team just played way above their head. I still think they're the class of the CFB world right now.

T-2. Texas - Well, we didn't blow them out, but we won. The bad news is that Colt looks to be pressing and is way behind where he was last year. He needs to get it together if the Horns will contend. The good news is that the defense looks much improved and pretty formidable.

T-2. Alabama - Typical Saban coached team. Big beefy mofos who play smash mouth football. Patsy win, no movement from #3. Won't be tested until October 10 vs Ole Miss

4. Cal - I love this team, obviously more than others. This is a classic potent Jeff Tedford offense, but with a real running game. Jahvid Best is insanely good.

5. Oklahoma - Yeah, I know they lost to BYU, but that was very much a "right time right place" perfect storm for BYU. OU is rolling again now that Landry Jones has had time with the first team offense. They have a stellar defense and Jones has had passer ratings of 156.02 and 186.55 the last two weeks. This is still a very good team.

6. Boise - Hard to place them. Do I think they'd beat the 3-4 teams below them? Not sure. Their schedule is going to kill them, but this is a solid team.

7. USC - I fully expect large quantities of crying and whining by SEC fanboys due to this ranking, but Washington is a good team and I still believe that USC would beat the teams below them the majority of the time. They need one of the QBs to step up and mature fast. My power rankings, unlike the polls, have no bias as far as "punishing teams" for losses. It's simply who I think would beat whom in a head to head matchup on a neutral field, and I think USC would generally beat the teams below them on most occasions.

8. Miami - This team is legit. We're about to find out exactly how legit. In the next two weeks they play @VT and Oklahoma. That's a brutal stretch... @FSU, GT, @ VT, OU. If they somehow manage to go 4-0, this is a true national title contender. What a turnaround so far for the U. You have to respect the balls on the coach/AD for this schedule.

10. Ohio State - Rebounded very nicely against a Toledo team that can score in bunches. They have a very solid defense. The big quetsion is if they can score against real teams. Unfortunately (as always), they won't be tested for about 8 more weeks until they play Penn State, who isn't all that good anyway. This team has 11-1 written all over it.

11. Florida State - The loss to Miami doesn't look bad at all now, especially given that they were one dropped ball away from winning. They absolutely thumped BYU who I believed was a solid team. The Noles are legit.

13. Virginia Tech - This is very much a typical VT team. Good, but not in the top tier or two. Will always lose to the really good opponents, will squeak by the middle-ranked teams, and will beat up on patsies.

14. TCU - Somewhat respectable win against Virginia, then a 56-21 win over that teacher's school 30 minutes south of me. This team will be almost impossible to rank all year since they don't play anyone. Toughest team on the schedule is 10/24 @ BYU.

15. Penn State - Meh.

I agree with your top three teams even if Florida and Texas struggled with so-so teams and Alabama put the beat down on a patsy, but after the top three there seems to be a HUGE drop off and I have no idea how to rank em. Maybe...

#4 Oklahoma- They do not feel like a #4 team, their offensive line will be their downfall, but I have to believe they do not loose the BYU game with Bradford. They may even be able to beat one of the teams ahead of them in the right situation.

#5 Ole Miss- Once again they just do not have the feel of a top 5 team but I feel they could beat anyone I have ranked below them as things stand right now, and it would be a close contest with Oklahoma.

#6 Miami- another big dropoff from #5 to #6. Miami squeaked out a win against Fla St who I do not think is a very good team, but they are my favorites to win the ACC at this point (next week could change a lot)

#7 Penn St- I expect Penn St or Michigan to be the Big 10 champion. Penn St is a very good team and their defensive backfield seems to be a hair faster than the typical Big 10 team.

#8 Boise St- Good team, it is hard to tell how good but they net this ranking just because no one else is deserving at this point.

#9 Cal- Still might loose to USC head to head, they barely only just barely squeaked past a very mediocre Minnesota team.

#10 LSU- Based on talent and some flashes of cohesion my Tigers are a top ten team, but without better quarterback and offensive line performances this is a 3-5 loss team.

#11 USC- Even if they played tough against my Tigers I am still not going to give Washington the nod as a quality opponent we just played like crap... USC played even worse.

#12 Michigan- Most Big 10 defenses will not have the athleticism to stop the Michigan offense (Penn St might) but Michigan is still lacking a bit in overall talent and im not sure how long their QB can take the beating he is putting himself through.

#13 Ohio St- Close loss to USC does not carry the same weight it did last week.

#14 TCU- When does a real program offer Gary Patterson a head coaching gig?

#15 Cincinnati- Eh they do not belong here... but then again most of the top 15 feels like a farce outside of the top 5 or so... chances are good that they will be playing in a BCS bowl (they have got to fix that)

1. Florida
2. Alabama
3. Texas
4. Ole Miss
5. Penn St
6. Cal
7. Oklahoma
8. LSU
9. Boise
10. Miami

Texas just isnt looking good, when they face Oklahoma while playing the way there playing....hello Cotton Bowl.....

Hello Cotton Bowl? You're saying you believe that Texas will finish 4th in the Big XII?

LSU will win at MSU, then drop 2 straight georgia and florida, They will then be in the 20 range...

There are no dominant teams in college football this season. Florida looked the part, then promptly laid an egg against Tenn - say what you will about the game, but there is no way Urban doesn't try to run the score up on them and he couldn't.

I thought UT was the other "team to beat" this year, but they've looked heartless so far. Which is kind of my point - no team really looks the part of men amongst boys. TT isn't a terrible team, per se, but they didn't have any business being in the 4th quarter of that game against Texas. Not in Austin, at the very least.

Alabama? Who have they beaten? VT continues to look less and less impressive each week. Alabama is my best guess at a dominant team, but I'd like to see McElroy get tested by a real defense.

Penn State? No comment.

BCS Busters? Apparently not this year.

Miami is benefiting from a lot of love, but I'm really not sure where its coming from. Florida St. is a name only as of right now, and GT has shown time and time again that it will crumble in the face of good athletes. Jacory Harris looks like a legit heisman contender (the first one I've seen all year in conference play) but the Canes haven't done anything that a middle of the pack team should have done thus far. Herbie has them in his top 5. Top 5?! That alone tells me this year is looking mediocre.

OU and Cal are the same team to me. OU is the Dallas Cowboys of the NCAA - great regular season, but habitual choke artists. Sadly, you can't really hold that against them, just like you couldn't hold Ohio States previous years against it when you lead them into another BCS Bowl slaughter (unless they play another overrated Texas team).

The most interesting teams, to me, are Ole Miss, USC and LSU. Not the best teams, by any stretch of the imagination, just the most interesting.

First, USC: If the true freshmen comes back for USC and gets back on the track he was on, they'll have to be the favorites. But he's still a true freshmen, so I've got to expect he'll have some sort of let down at some point. Maybe with all these true freshmen players we'll start to hear about a true fresh wall like we hear about the rookie wall in the NFL.

Ole Miss has been okay against inferior (to put it lightly) competition. I've been vocal about my concern for high expectations on Houston Nutt, but with everything else so mixed and jumbled, stranger things have happened. The team is loaded and its really now or never for the Rebels. Still, its hard to rank a team thats beaten mighty Memphis and Directional Louisiana.

I expect LSU to beat MSU and then get destroyed in Athens. How they respond, I have no idea. They continue to grit out wins against teams they have no businesses needing to grit wins out over. The pass defense is suspect outside of Peterson and the run defense is unnotable. The passing offense is adequate and the rushing offense is slow. I don't trust Les Miles but I think Crowton and Chavis are good coordinators. So I don't know what to think.

All in all - rankings right now are still so preliminary that every one is laughable in its own special way.

All in all - rankings right now are still so preliminary that every one is laughable in its own special way.

Pretty much. Even the so-called "marquee matchups" are still so preliminary and early that it's hard to sort out the results. We just need more games between real opponents and for teams to start demonstrating some consistency before you can draw any useful conclusions.

Next 3 weeks will sort everything. I'll probably "rank" teams after that (mainly because how UM does vs @SC, @Vandy, and Alabama will justify whatever ranking they get :hihi:).

Anyone complaining about "schedule" right now in regards to team rankings though needs to be laughed off the forum. As far as I'm concerned the strongest argument possible right now is not a damn one of the teams deserves any ranking they get at the moment.

If the team that ends the season atop LC's power rankings chart is different from the BCS title game winner, do they get to declare themselves a split championship for themselves? :shrug:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom