LC's power rankings - week 4 (1 Viewer)

LSu is an unknown... I have never so much fan bashing of there own 4-0 team ever. Let them lose a game or two before we start calling them bad. i coudl care less if they win ugly...just win.

Good picks LC and crazy cajun....

If you can't beat any of Washington, Vandy, ULL, or MSU handily, it's doubtful you'll suddenly turn it on against Bama, Ole Miss, UGA, and UF.

nps, I agree. I don't think there is a magic button that LSU can push to make them start playing better. Unfortunately, I believe Les is in over his head.
They have some talent, but unless the OL starts playing together and better they will continue to struggle. Also, the more the OL struggles, the more JJ has to become a great (and not just good) QB.
And I personally feel, that R.Shepard needs to touch the ball at least 10 times a game. Just not sure Les will allow that to happen. The kid is a playmaker, pure and simple. If the coaches can't see that or refuse to utilize it then we could be in trouble. It's still mind numbing that the kid runs 4 times in the 1st half (ends up being your leading rusher for the game with those 4 carries) and doesn't get a carry in the second half. Especially in a game that you can't run the football.
The D should slowly improve as the season goes along. Problem is this D is mediocre right now. By seasons end, I think they may be good, but not great.
The problems I see are on the OL and DL.
All that being said, LSU still has some talented skill players. That alone can give it a chance against any team, provided they play well in the trenches.
The Ga game will really tell alot about this team.

And Spam, people are writing ole miss off too soon. I think they read a few too many clips in the offseason. But, they have a very good D. If Snead can get it together and your coaches can let McCluster be the dynamo he is, then ole miss may still be a contender.
If they are playing bama in oxford, I'd favor ole miss.

If they are playing bama in oxford, I'd favor ole miss.

They are, and I wouldn't. Maybe if it was later in the season, but they aren't going to "get hot" like they would need to to beat Bama in just 2 weeks.

I'm telling you spam, don't sleep on ole miss in that game.
ole miss has one of the better DL's in the nation. That alone will keep them in the game.
Snead just needs to find his mojo.
I would feel a whole lot better about ole miss than I do about LSU from what I've seen.

As for bama. I think ole miss will make Mcelroy beat them. Can he do it??????
bama looked good? or did ark simply play like @#$%. I saw more drops from ark's receivers than a rain storm. And on Richardson's run (which was nice) ark couldn't have brought down a tackling dummy.
Not putting down ala because based on what I've seen their a top 3 team easily. But, they won't play the ole miss game in their own stadium. Those road SEC games is what makes and breaks teams.

Bama is #2.... if Bama was your team you would have them at the #2 ranking solo..... until Texas beats a good team, Bama owns the #2 ranking....

also should be VATECH #4 Oklahoma#5 ..... as for Boise I will never put them higher than #9

This is the type of game Vandy has played well in the last few years. I am not sure what the mental state is for the Ole Miss team but I think they could be in for some trouble.

why? do i need too explain.... maybe you have not been watching all the games this year....
Alabama has beaten good teams.... Like Vatech..... Texas has not....

Vatech has beaten Miami and almost beat Alabama.... Oklahoma has not played anyone except BYU and loss....

Boise St has too beat better teams to prove too me they can be ranked higher than #9 There are atleast 8 teams that would beat Boise ST anywere on the planet...

why? do i need too explain.... maybe you have not been watching all the games this year....

LC probably has at least 5 TV's going at once in his apt, all of them DVR'ing a couple other games so that he can break them down later. How else do you get a power ranking like this? :shrug:

LC probably has at least 5 TV's going at once in his apt, all of them DVR'ing a couple other games so that he can break them down later. How else do you get a power ranking like this? :shrug:

What is this, 2006?

Get with the times. He has a port installed to download all the action directly into his brain.

LC, are your power rankings set up such that on a neutral field the higher ranked team would always be favored over the lower ranked team?

If thats the case add me to the crowd that thinks Boise would get beat by almost all the other top twenty five teams more than 50% of the time on a neutral field.

I am not saying they do not have a decent team and could not pull off an upset here or there. John Curtis plays a harder schedule than Boise. Maybe its not their fault they play these teams, but its a laughable schedule for a supposed top ten team. I think La Tech will give them a game. They play the likes of Fresno(#60), Idaho(#90), Bowling Green(#78), Utah State(#106), Nevada(#92), San Jose(#98),Miami of Ohio(#119) and UC Davis(nr). If thats your schedule, you are out of the discussion for me. There is no fair way to judge how good you are 90% of your schedule is nothing.

LSU plays Auburn, Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Ole Miss. If Boise played one of these teams they would be so beat up the next week Bowling Green might actually beat them.

Boise State gets hype because they get this big winning percentage against tier three schools and then pull off an upset here and there. They would be a bottom tier school in the SEC or Big 12. On a neutral filed Boise would be an underdog to more than half of the SEC or Big 12 schools. I know there are other polls who similarly rank Boise which only points out to me how the polls over emphasize winning to the point you get way too much credit for beating crappy teams.

The rest of the rankings seem fine to me perhaps with the exception of Houston and TCU. You have Houston ahead of USC and LSU. Houston would lose eight out of ten games to these teams, as would TCU. The more Houston would play them, the less they would win. The physicality of playing teams like Oklahoma, USC and LSU would wear them out. JMO of course. Nice thread by the way. You do a good job generating debate with these power threads.

If I'm not mistaken, LC, you've been told to "watch more football." :mwink:

Good rankings, btw.

15) Washington/Notre Dame- probably just my wishful thinking that the Irish are this bad but these two play this week to decide who is not amongst the worst.
14)Mississippi State
13)Illinois
12)Purdue
11)Louisville
10)Vanderbilt
9)Colorado
8)Northwestern
7)Syracuse
6)Michigan State
5)Duke
4)Washington State
3)Kansas State
2)Maryland
1)Virginia

Was going to comment on Michigan State being that low/high in the bottom rankings. Sounds like hindsight, I know, but Michigan State is pretty decent. Not upper echelon, but not bottom level.

LC, are your power rankings set up such that on a neutral field the higher ranked team would always be favored over the lower ranked team?

If thats the case add me to the crowd that thinks Boise would get beat by almost all the other top twenty five teams more than 50% of the time on a neutral field.

I am not saying they do not have a decent team and could not pull off an upset here or there. John Curtis plays a harder schedule than Boise. Maybe its not their fault they play these teams, but its a laughable schedule for a supposed top ten team. I think La Tech will give them a game. They play the likes of Fresno(#60), Idaho(#90), Bowling Green(#78), Utah State(#106), Nevada(#92), San Jose(#98),Miami of Ohio(#119) and UC Davis(nr). If thats your schedule, you are out of the discussion for me. There is no fair way to judge how good you are 90% of your schedule is nothing.

LSU plays Auburn, Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Ole Miss. If Boise played one of these teams they would be so beat up the next week Bowling Green might actually beat them.

Boise State gets hype because they get this big winning percentage against tier three schools and then pull off an upset here and there. They would be a bottom tier school in the SEC or Big 12. On a neutral filed Boise would be an underdog to more than half of the SEC or Big 12 schools. I know there are other polls who similarly rank Boise which only points out to me how the polls over emphasize winning to the point you get way too much credit for beating crappy teams.

The rest of the rankings seem fine to me perhaps with the exception of Houston and TCU. You have Houston ahead of USC and LSU. Houston would lose eight out of ten games to these teams, as would TCU. The more Houston would play them, the less they would win. The physicality of playing teams like Oklahoma, USC and LSU would wear them out. JMO of course. Nice thread by the way. You do a good job generating debate with these power threads.

Yep, you got it. That's essentially the spirit of how I do these, who I think would win the majority of games on a neutral field.

And yeah, I actually do believe Boise would beat the teams below them.

I'm a big proponent of the mid-majors and think that there are quite a few of them that would be competitive year in, year out in the Big XII or the SEC. Boise, Utah, TCU, etc. I think the whole big-conference/little conference thing is way overrated. Would Boise go 12-0 every year in the SEC or Big XII? Absolutely not. But I highly doubt they'd ever lose 5 games either.... (sorry, had to).

And while I appreciate your post and the thought behind it, I think you're being a bit SECGuyish here. Recent results show that Boise can hang with the "big boys" just fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom