LC's power rankings - week 4 (1 Viewer)

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This week was all about attrition. Lots of top teams went down, and I think we are starting to see what certain results have meant in the past. We are starting to sniff out the outliers, and the results that actually tell us things. A couple of high risers and several big fallers. Lots of movement. What a crazy year in college football.

1. Florida - Good looking win against a conference foe. Not much new info. We will have a much clearer picture of the SEC in two weeks.

2a. Texas - First time all year Texas has looked good from start to finish. Colt is starting to round into shape a bit, as is the entire team. The defense gets better every week. I was encouraged by this week.

2b. Alabama - Much like Florida, a solid win against a conference foe.

4. Oklahoma - Moved into #4 via attrition. Is OU just a bully that beats up on bad teams and then shrinks when facing a real team? We'll find out this weekend when they travel to Miami.

5. Boise - Is this a national championship contender? They're rolling now and should be favored from here on out. Texas and OU play in three weeks, and you have to imagine that Florida and Bama will play in the SECCG. The Oregon win keeps looking better and better. Watch out for Boise in the MNC game this year.

6. Virginia Tech - I'm not reading a whole lot into the Miami game. Miami was 3 games into a brutal 4 game stretch, and this was a major letdown/trap type game for them. VT does look good though and moves up via attrition.

7. Ohio State - tOSU seems to be getting it together now, and I still beleive in their talent and in Terrelle Pryor.

8. Houston - The biggest mover this week. Houston has as good of a resume as anyone in the top 10 save VT, and they're undefeated. BCS buster?

9. LSU - Snuck by MSU when most were expecting a blowout. We'll see how they fare against Georgia and Florida. Hard to rank them, they're kind of floating in limbo until they play these next two games. Definitely overrated at #4 in the AP.

10. USC - Starting to roll slightly but the offense still looks pretty anemic. They still have a great defense though.

11. TCU - Decent win over Clemson... at least it's a BCS conference foe. Hard to judge these guys, but I can't put anyone above them at this point.

12. Oklahoma State - Okie Lite looks to be getting it together somewhat. They have a four game stretch against an improved A&M, Mizzou, Baylor, and Texas. We'll find out what they're made of very soon.

13. Iowa - The entire college football watching world should hold Kirk Ferentz as a hero. For two years in a row Iowa removed any chance that we'd see pretender Penn State in the national championship game. Good work Iowa.

14. Miami - As noted above in the VT ranking, that schedule is just brutal. I still think Miami is a solid team, but they're young and prone to slipups. Harris showed his inexperience. Miami has a chance to jump right back into the thick of things if they beat OU this weekend - but I don't see it happening, even at home.

15. Georgia/Oregon/Ole Miss/Kansas/Cincinnati - Cheating a bit here, but I can't separate any of these teams. We'll know more about Georgia Saturday. Oregon seems to be gettng it together and there's no shame in losing to Boise. Ole Miss lost to a game SC team. Kansas looks good but hasn't played anyone. And I have no clue how to rank Cincy. We'll see how things shake out as the season progresses.

LC, I can't really argue with anything you've got other than Okla at #4. Any way you wash it, Okla got beat by BYU who got destroyed by a very mediocre FSU team. Outside of that I agree.
The next few weeks will really start to shake things out.

As for LSU, we find out alot about this team on Sat. While Ga isn't a juggernaut. They are a solid top 20 type team. If LSU can find a way to go to athens and win, it would make that #4 ranking a lot more justified. From what I've seen of them to this point, I'd take Ga and give up the 2 1/2pts.

This is getting scarier and scarier for me... I am actually in agreement with the top 5 teams on your list.

1)Florida- Still the top team in the land from top to bottom even with Tebow hurt the bye week gives them a chance to get Brantley ready to start at LSU.

2)Texas- UTEP is a bad team and Texas did what elite teams are supposed to do against bad teams. There should be a huge victory against a very weak Colorado team in their future.

3)Alabama- Arkansas is a good team and Alabama showed they are an Elite one by taking it too them... also that Va Tech win looks pretty good now. This weeks opponent Kentucky is a step behind Arkansas but not a team Bama should overlook.

4)Oklahoma- Oklahoma is coming off a Bye week and I considered dropping them because they have an unimpressive resume to this point. However they have the talent to belong up here and this weeks game against Miami should give us a good idea of weather Oklahoma belongs up here or not.

5)Boise St- Their win against Oregon in week one looks pretty good now, and they crushing another bad team this week. Boise does not have a good enough of an opponent the rest of the season for me to really move them up again, they would need to smack around their schedule, Oregon would need to continue to look dominant in the Pac10, and the teams around them would have to have some bad performances.

6)Virginia Tech- Their defense is as good as it gets, I still suspect their offense befitted from the environment against Miami but it is looking like another ACC championship/BCS bowl game is the likely outcome this year for the Hokies. They should SLAUGHTER Duke this week.

7)Ole Miss- Im going to get roasted for this one but they lost to a good South Carolina squad. It is not a game that a top 10 team should loose but outside of my top six teams I am not sure anyone belongs as a top 10 team. Ole Miss plays Vanderbilt this week and then the following week either gets it together or gets destroyed by Alabama.

8)USC- Looked like they were going to slaughter an awful team in WSU in the first quarter, that would have had them leapfrog Mississippi but they won and they are still extremely talented. This week they play a VERY angry Cal team in a game that should tell us a whole lot about not just USC and Cal but also Oregon and Boise.

9)Penn St- They loose to Iowa again, I still feel they are more talented than the rest of the Big 10... and I am not ready to anoint Iowa just because they beat Penn St whose number they just seem to have. They should really take it to Illinois this week if they are indeed a top team.

10)Ohio St- They beat up on Illinois, they look like a good team. Unfortunately we will not know much more about this team until the last three weeks of the season. This week they play an Indiana team that gave Michigan a game... the fighting flowers... er Buckeyes should win this one running away.

11)Oregon- They are a big mover this week, they DESTROYED a Cal team that was overrated but still a decent squad. Oregon only has one more test on their schedule and they should destroy a truly awful Washington State in their next game... the most we are going to learn about Oregon this week will come from the USC vs Cal game.

12)Houston- A team that refuses to loose. Texas Tech is not a great team but UH has not had impressive hard fought victories against two big 12 teams and they still have Mississippi St left to go on their schedule. The Cougs have already proven they are a good team they will prove they belong here if they can dismantle their next two opponents UTEP and Miss St ... two very weak squads.

13)TCU- It was an unimpressive win against Clemson but it was still a win. BYU and Utah are the only two tests left on their schedule and neither looks very good to me this season. They had ought to make quick work of cross town rival SMU in their next game.

14)Cincinnati - They did not play well against Fresno St and nearly dropped off the list. A game against USF in three weeks may be all that stands between them and a BCS bowl(loss). The Bearcats get an easy game against Miami(OH) this week before having a bye week to ready themselves for a Thursday game against the Bulls.

15)LSU- My Tigers have played 4 teams thus far and have not looked impressive. Mississippi St, Washington, and Vanderbilt are to my mind all loosing teams this season... and ULL would be a loosing team in nearly any conference but the Sun Belt. This week is put up or shut up against Georgia, almost any kind of win will at least keep the tigers at 15 or higher and almost any loss will take them out of the top 15.

My next 10 teams in no particular order are:
Oklahoma St, Missouri, South Carolina, Michigan, Iowa, Cal, Nebraska, Georgia, USF, Miami.

I also decided just for fun to look at the worst 15 teams in college football... At first I was going to just rank what I felt were the 15 worst teams, then I realized that my rankings would just be the entire sunbelt and a sprinkling of a few other teams from the MAC, WAC, and Mountain West. I then decided that I would just do the worst 15 teams from BCS conferences the rankings are 15-1 with 15 being the best of the worst.

15) Washington/Notre Dame- probably just my wishful thinking that the Irish are this bad but these two play this week to decide who is not amongst the worst.
14)Mississippi State
13)Illinois
12)Purdue
11)Louisville
10)Vanderbilt
9)Colorado
8)Northwestern
7)Syracuse
6)Michigan State
5)Duke
4)Washington State
3)Kansas State
2)Maryland
1)Virginia

Last edited:
I accused you of trolling LSU last week with that 12 ranking. After that game on Saturday, I think you actually have them a little high now at #9.

This is getting scarier and scarier for me... I am actually in agreement with the top 5 teams on your list.

1)Florida- Still the top team in the land from top to bottom even with Tebow hurt the bye week gives them a chance to get Brantley ready to start at LSU.

2)Texas- UTEP is a bad team and Texas did what elite teams are supposed to do against bad teams. There should be a huge victory against a very weak Colorado team in their future.

3)Alabama- Arkansas is a good team and Alabama showed they are an Elite one by taking it too them... also that Va Tech win looks pretty good now. This weeks opponent Kentucky is a step behind Arkansas but not a team Bama should overlook.

4)Oklahoma- Oklahoma is coming off a Bye week and I considered dropping them because they have an unimpressive resume to this point. However they have the talent to belong up here and this weeks game against Miami should give us a good idea of weather Oklahoma belongs up here or not.

5)Boise St- Their win against Oregon in week one looks pretty good now, and they crushing another bad team this week. Boise does not have a good enough of an opponent the rest of the season for me to really move them up again, they would need to smack around their schedule, Oregon would need to continue to look dominant in the Pac10, and the teams around them would have to have some bad performances.

6)Virginia Tech- Their defense is as good as it gets, I still suspect their offense befitted from the environment against Miami but it is looking like another ACC championship/BCS bowl game is the likely outcome this year for the Hokies. They should SLAUGHTER Duke this week.

7)Ole Miss- Im going to get roasted for this one but they lost to a good South Carolina squad. It is not a game that a top 10 team should loose but outside of my top six teams I am not sure anyone belongs as a top 10 team. Ole Miss plays Vanderbilt this week and then the following week either gets it together or gets destroyed by Alabama.

8)USC- Looked like they were going to slaughter an awful team in WSU in the first quarter, that would have had them leapfrog Mississippi but they won and they are still extremely talented. This week they play a VERY angry Cal team in a game that should tell us a whole lot about not just USC and Cal but also Oregon and Boise.

9)Penn St- They loose to Iowa again, I still feel they are more talented than the rest of the Big 10... and I am not ready to anoint Iowa just because they beat Penn St whose number they just seem to have. They should really take it to Illinois this week if they are indeed a top team.

10)Ohio St- They beat up on Illinois, they look like a good team. Unfortunately we will not know much more about this team until the last three weeks of the season. This week they play an Indiana team that gave Michigan a game... the fighting flowers... er Buckeyes should win this one running away.

11)Oregon- They are a big mover this week, they DESTROYED a Cal team that was overrated but still a decent squad. Oregon only has one more test on their schedule and they should destroy a truly awful Washington State in their next game... the most we are going to learn about Oregon this week will come from the USC vs Cal game.

12)Houston- A team that refuses to loose. Texas Tech is not a great team but UH has not had impressive hard fought victories against two big 12 teams and they still have Mississippi St left to go on their schedule. The Cougs have already proven they are a good team they will prove they belong here if they can dismantle their next two opponents UTEP and Miss St ... two very weak squads.

13)TCU- It was an unimpressive win against Clemson but it was still a win. BYU and Utah are the only two tests left on their schedule and neither looks very good to me this season. They had ought to make quick work of cross town rival SMU in their next game.

14)Cincinnati - They did not play well against Fresno St and nearly dropped off the list. A game against USF in three weeks may be all that stands between them and a BCS bowl(loss). The Bearcats get an easy game against Miami(OH) this week before having a bye week to ready themselves for a Thursday game against the Bulls.

15)LSU- My Tigers have played 4 teams thus far and have not looked impressive. Mississippi St, Washington, and Vanderbilt are to my mind all loosing teams this season... and ULL would be a loosing team in nearly any conference but the Sun Belt. This week is put up or shut up against Georgia, almost any kind of win will at least keep the tigers at 15 or higher and almost any loss will take them out of the top 15.

My next 10 teams in no particular order are:
Oklahoma St, Missouri, South Carolina, Michigan, Iowa, Cal, Nebraska, Georgia, USF, Miami.

I also decided just for fun to look at the worst 15 teams in college football... At first I was going to just rank what I felt were the 15 worst teams, then I realized that my rankings would just be the entire sunbelt and a sprinkling of a few other teams from the MAC, WAC, and Mountain West. I then decided that I would just do the worst 15 teams from BCS conferences the rankings are 15-1 with 15 being the best of the worst.

15) Washington/Notre Dame- probably just my wishful thinking that the Irish are this bad but these two play this week to decide who is not amongst the worst.
14)Mississippi State
13)Illinois
12)Purdue
11)Louisville
10)Vanderbilt
9)Colorado
8)Northwestern
7)Syracuse
6)Michigan State
5)Duke
4)Washington State
3)Kansas State
2)Maryland
1)Virginia

Ha - love the bottom 15 teams idea. Look at all the Big Ten teams. 5 of 11 on your list.

Ha - love the bottom 15 teams idea. Look at all the Big Ten teams. 5 of 11 on your list.

Four from the Big 10 actually unless you are lumping Notre Dame in there, but yeah the Big 10 has some bad teams. I was really surprised about the breakdown after I did the rankings.. I expected more Big East but really there is a kind of parity in that conference... the top two teams seem pretty bad but by no means the worst in the land, the top two teams seem pretty good but destined to meet an ugly end in a bowl game and the middle four seem kind of "meh" just hovering around average. All in all there were 16 teams in the bottom rankings 1 independent with a BCS tie in, 2 SEC teams, 2 Pac 10 teams, 2 Big 12 teams, 3 ACC teams, 4 Big 10 teams, and 2 Big East teams. !00% of independents with BCS tie ins, 16.666% of SEC teams, 20% or Pac 10 teams, 16.666% of Big 12 teams, 25% of ACC teams, 36% of Big 10 teams, and 25% of Big east teams were involved in the bottom 15(16) teams.

LSU is where they are supposed to be in the polls right now. Beyond Florida, Alabama, and (gulp) Texas, nobody else is clearly making a claim to be ranked above LSU, so there you have it.

If they get "exposed" at some point, then they'll get hammered since their wins have been less than awe inspiring. However, as long as they are in the "just win, baby" zone, they'll continue to be ranked highly, especially since the opportunity to get wins against high quality teams are up next.

LSU sucks this year. We're #4 only due to not losing yet. At this point I'm hoping we just find a way to compete for the SEC West title (aka The Right To Get Bombed By Florida title).

cant argue this week. dont like the oklahoma at 4 but really cant argue that anyone else deserves it maybe boise st. For this early in the season it looks like a 3 dog race. florida, alabama, and texas.

LSu is an unknown... I have never so much fan bashing of there own 4-0 team ever. Let them lose a game or two before we start calling them bad. i coudl care less if they win ugly...just win.

Good picks LC and crazy cajun....

Ole Miss' offense has to rebound against Vanderbilt to justify a top 15 ranking. I'm not expecting them to beat a Bama team which is clearly playing at a higher level, but some evidence of life from the offensive end would give me a lot of comfort going into a very winnable and favorable end of season schedule after Alabama.

Ole Miss' offense has to rebound against Vanderbilt to justify a top 15 ranking. I'm not expecting them to beat a Bama team which is clearly playing at a higher level, but some evidence of life from the offensive end would give me a lot of comfort going into a very winnable and favorable end of season schedule after Alabama.

Losing Dont'a Hightower is not good for the defense I'm a little concerned about that. Bama really doesn't have anybody as good as he was. Bama still pretty much shut the Hogs down even after he went out so maybe they'll be ok.

15. Georgia/Oregon/Ole Miss/Kansas/Cincinnati - Cheating a bit here, but I can't separate any of these teams. We'll know more about Georgia Saturday. Oregon seems to be gettng it together and there's no shame in losing to Boise. Ole Miss lost to a game SC team. Kansas looks good but hasn't played anyone. And I have no clue how to rank Cincy. We'll see how things shake out as the season progresses.

Uh..... Kansas played Southern Miss at Lawrence and USM stuck 28 on the KU scoreboard, making Kansas work their buttfeathers off to win that game. Kansas is the typical over-rated Big XII team, they'll be exposed soon enough.

Losing Dont'a Hightower is not good for the defense I'm a little concerned about that. Bama really doesn't have anybody as good as he was. Bama still pretty much shut the Hogs down even after he went out so maybe they'll be ok.

The issue is, even if Ole Miss rebounds against Vanderbilt (which I think is likely, I really felt like before and then after that having to travel on a Thursday night all the way to SC with such disjointed practice time before hand was going to play hell on the team), there's no way they're going to get in a good enough rhythm offensively to matchup with Alabama.

To be blunt, Alabama has to "lose the game" more-so then Ole Miss wins.

The whole South Carolina-on-Thursday-night fiasco with ESPN was ridiculous.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom