Leadership Dropped The Ball Vs Minny (IMHO) (1 Viewer)

JohnnyCash

#WDN4L
Reaction score
I've heard dozens of reasons why we lost. Some say we were out-coached, some say our game plan stunk, some people even point out guys and believe that certain players and/or plays are the direct reason for the loss. While there may be a hint of truth in all aforementioned, i poke holes in all of those theories because.

1. We've won games this year despite being 'out-coached'
2. We've won games this year despite 'questionable' play calling and/or game management
3. We've won games this year despite poor play for stretches

What we lacked is the one thing that cannot be ignored, motivation. It is the responsibility of the leaders (Drew, Cam Jordan, DD) To make sure that they make sure that the guys level of motivation is a few notches higher than during the regular season. We needed to be fired up. But it starts at the top with the leaders. I know Drew is not a Rah-Rah guy but he needed to make sure that all were gonna lay it all on the line for 4 qtrs. Each leader should throw some type of incentive out there (Cash, Rolex) and let everyone know that going one and done is unacceptable!

Instead we were lackluster and didn't have the passion needed and here we are .... I'm surprised, the leaders are very prideful guys, i'm shocked that they allowed that kind of crap (especially the 1st half) very dissappointing

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
But when the Offense, Defense, Coaching, and to a lesser degree special teams all have bad games there is no win to be had. It was a TEAM FAILURE PERIOD.

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Should have been a bat game.

634.west.ls.71012.jpg

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I can't help but to wonder how many players were mentally packing their long underwear for the trip to Green Bay before that game started. The team played like they were full of 'cheese'.

But also the Vikings seemed to be ready to shut down everything we tried to do offensively. It was as if they knew our plays and/or baited us to run the plays that they were ready to defend.

And yet as poorly as we played, we still were one well-executed kick away from a very ugly win.
But in the end Minnesota played above our expectations, and the Saints played far below the standard that we've come to expect.
These things shouldn't have happened... but they did. :sad:

jbourque

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
But in the end Minnesota played above our expectations, and the Saints played far below the standard that we've come to expect.
These things shouldn't have happened... but they did. :sad:

Time will tell. The Vikings got healthy at just the right time for a run. They are still in the playoffs and can make a deep run.....maybe even represent the NFC. They may not be playing above expectations. They may be that good and we took them lightly.

Very similar to 2009 when we lost our last 3 regular season games before going on our SB run. Everyone had written us off.

Hedon James

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard dozens of reasons why we lost. Some say we were out-coached, some say our game plan stunk, some people even point out guys and believe that certain players and/or plays are the direct reason for the loss. While there may be a hint of truth in all aforementioned, i poke holes in all of those theories because.

1. We've won games this year despite being 'out-coached'
2. We've won games this year despite 'questionable' play calling and/or game management
3. We've won games this year despite poor play for stretches

What we lacked is the one thing that cannot be ignored, motivation. It is the responsibility of the leaders (Drew, Cam Jordan, DD) To make sure that they make sure that the guys level of motivation is a few notches higher than during the regular season. We needed to be fired up. But it starts at the top with the leaders. I know Drew is not a Rah-Rah guy but he needed to make sure that all were gonna lay it all on the line for 4 qtrs. Each leader should throw some type of incentive out there (Cash, Rolex) and let everyone know that going one and done is unacceptable!

Instead we were lackluster and didn't have the passion needed and here we are .... I'm surprised, the leaders are very prideful guys, i'm shocked that they allowed that kind of crap (especially the 1st half) very dissappointing

Bounties? Pay for play? Is that even "legal" in the NFL?

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Time will tell. The Vikings got healthy at just the right time for a run. They are still in the playoffs and can make a deep run.....maybe even represent the NFC. They may not be playing above expectations. They may be that good and we took them lightly.

Very similar to 2009 when we lost our last 3 regular season games before going on our SB run. Everyone had written us off.
Not really. People used the stat(no team lad lost 3 and won the big game) but we had everything wrapped up and were resting our key guys. They got healthy and we were hurt (MD & SR) were critical loses, and we know the officials aren't going to give us a break. I'm not saying TB or TH are better leaders but i just know what's going to change next year to get us over the hump.

jbourque

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not really. People used the stat(no team lad lost 3 and won the big game) but we had everything wrapped up and were resting our key guys. They got healthy and we were hurt (MD & SR) were critical loses, and we know the officials aren't going to give us a break. I'm not saying TB or TH are better leaders but i just know what's going to change next year to get us over the hump.

My point is give the Vikings some credit. They have the ability and all the pieces to be a great team when healthy. They were beat up ending the regular season and had better health playing us with the exception of a key player(s) in the secondary. Theilen, Cook and Mattison were all back for our game.

And, we weren't resting our starters when the Cowboys spanked us at home on a Saturday night during the Christmas holiday in 2009. And, I was at the Tampa game the following week and I don't think we rested starters then either. Maybe for the Panthers game but I don't remember.

Last edited:

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

What I highlighted from your statement makes the most sense to me. The Saints didn't suddenly forget how to play football, nor did the Vikings teach Cousins how to be a better QB in a week.

Trust me, the Vikings will be going down hard to the 49ers to the tune of about 42-17 mainly because the Niners will not be taking them lightly. San Francisco will owe us a chunk of that divisional & championship round money just for teaching them this valuable lesson.

I wish there was a way that the Saints could go into every regular season and playoff game as a consensus underdog. We never live up to the hype when the expectations are for the Saints to win big. I hate it when we start getting all the media respect & accolades because this is when we turn back into the 1974 team. It happens every time.

Stay angry & hungry! That's the only formula that works for the Saints. We don't know how to rule in the penthouse.

kizzy821

Raisins: the devil's chocolate chips.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think they were looking ahead to GB. It's not as if the Vikings snuck into the playoffs. They weren't playing the NFCE winner. If they were supposedly looking ahead, how do you explain regular season games when they play just as poorly? Are they looking ahead then?

I think we assume they have the same level of expectations as fans when they don't. I understand why we think this but too many times, their play on the field shows otherwise. Goes for coaching too. We're not looking at the same things. They have a different perspective than we do. Literally and figuratively.

A lot of these guys are young. I don't know that in my 20s or even early 30s, I took everything as seriously as the situation called for. Particularly when it came to the finality of something.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom