League close to no salary cap in 2011 (1 Viewer)

This is a really bad idea. It will kill any chance at having parity. The Cowboys and Redskins will just buy their way to championships. I think it does matter to the Saints, considering we are a small market team and will not be able to keep up with the larger markets.

Hey i never said i was for it and i agree it will harm us. Why do you think there is talk of Moss going to Dallas now? It is going to get ugly starting this offseason because these teams will have no debt come 2011.

p.s. and this makes me believe we are probably making a deal with Samuel before the vultures start coming.

While it's not necessarily the end of smaller markets, it definitely makes things much more difficult for them. It's in the league's best interest to have a salary cap, if, for no other reason, to keep player salaries in check. They'll never admit it, but it's in the union's best interest as well because many of these guys wouldn't make 1/10 of what they're making in the NFL in the real world. I'll admit it's all a form of collusion.

On the other hand, it's no guarantee that anybody wins anything. Just ask the Yankees. One thing that will always keep big spending teams in check are other big spending teams. In other words, ego will always check ego.

My big thing is this: At what point will a protracted recession (which we appear to be in/headed for) actually trickle "up" to these owners and players who are hell bent on making the game even more unaffordable for the average fan? The only things that might slow them down are smaller television deals if advertising revenue drops/levels off as part of an economic slowdown.

In that respect, local advertising makes a market like L.A. that much more enticing with or without a stadium or even a local passion for the NFL.

I am very against the NFL dropping the cap, but baseball is fine without it. A lot of baseball fans will tell you the same thing.

For all the wailing of inequality of payrolls the last 4 teams last year were the Red Sox (big market) and 3 small market teams: Diamondbacks, Indians, and Rockies. The Yankees have had the highest payroll for years now, and it hasn't earned them a ring since 2000. In short, Salary cap in football=good. Salary cap in Baseball=unnecessary.

Yup, and who won?

The d-backs and rockies should try playing the AL East sometimes and see how far they get.

The small market owners know the consquences of no salary cap. The owners don't like the current deal, so I guess they want to better CBA deal. They'll have a salary cap in the future.

Exactly. The small market teams will fight to keep some sort of cap, just as they are trying to force owners like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder to share more of their "unshared" revenues.

Bills' owner Ralph Wilson is perhaps the biggest advocate for the small market teams.

They will push the union for a "better" CBA deal, and the union will push back demanding more of the share of league revenues for the players.

Keep in mind television contracts depend greatly on league parity, and that's what provides the league with a great deal of their revenue.

However, I would be all for a tight slotting of rookie contracts a la the NBA to make hold outs a thing of the past. I would also love to see someone else own the Dallas Cowboys.

Sounds to me like Jerry Jones is just blowing his mouth off, as usual. He knows the NFL will never do away with the cap, but he'd love to make a stink about it in the media for his own personal agenda...jmo.

A move like this would really get me PO'd. We already have a difficult time acquiring FA's, can you imagine what I'd look like without a cap? Everyone would play for New York, San Diego, Dallas and Washington.

This would almost remind you of the years prior to FA. We got the snot beat out of us for years while other teams where always contenders.

I remember during the owners meeting to hammer out a collective bargaining agreement that the Bills and Bengals owners got blasted for voting against it and saying the current deal wouldn't work in the long run. And here we are a few years later and we find out they were right. The owners still want a salary cap, just not under the conditions of the current CBA. If they opt out expect them to begin trying to hammer out a new CBA almost immediately.

If that happens the game will go to hell and roast in a lake of burning dollars.

I'll never stop loving my Saints but I think I'd be feel better following the CFL instead where the salaries are pretty modest and the guys play because they love the game

The small market owners know the consquences of no salary cap. The owners don't like the current deal, so I guess they want to better CBA deal. They'll have a salary cap in the future.

Without a salary cap............

K.C. Royals = New Orleans Saints

Montreal Expos = Buffalo Bills (would not make it)

Small market teams would basically be farm teams for the larger market evil empires

Sounds to me like Jerry Jones is just blowing his mouth off, as usual. He knows the NFL will never do away with the cap, but he'd love to make a stink about it in the media for his own personal agenda...jmo.

Exactly.

They wont play without a cap, they just have to renew or redo the current CBA which would expire before 2011. He said "if" it wasnt renewed or redone, but if thats the case we should be more worried about having a 2011 season at all.

Jerry loves attension.

Last edited:
Tagliaboo sure did leave a pile of flaming dog poo for Goodell to step into.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom