Leaning tower of Dallas. Tiniest wrecking ball ever live feed (1 Viewer)

Did it fall down yet? Where is that paint drying video that was all the rage?

Still standing. Initial failed implosion if you are curious and need more excitement.

At this point, the contractor should be covering up their name on the heavy equipment. Not sure how many Dallas demo jobs Lloyd Nabors will be getting in the near future.

theyre jack hammering the base now.

That's what I was thinking yesterday. They've got that giant pile of rubble holding that column in place, and it's probably anchored down into the ground a good bit. It was built not to collapse. I imagine they'd have to go in and cut rebar/I-beams or whatever else was used back when things were overbuilt. Like to last more than 20 years. :covri:

Maybe they could get those Hard Rock Cafe guys to come advise on how to get a building to collapse?

The tiny wrecking ball is being used due to OSHA policy. And the core of that thing is like a grain silo, solid concrete top-bottom.

The company that’s tearing down the former Affiliated Computer Services building had said Friday that the demolition would take place between 9 a.m. and noon, leaving many people with the impression the tower was about to tumble.

By Monday afternoon, Lloyd D. Nabors Demolition said in an email that the process would take three or four days to finish.

The size of the wrecking ball — 5,600 pounds — had been chosen because of Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations, the company said.

Mohammad Najafi, director of the University of Texas at Arlington’s construction management program, said the company may have underestimated the size of the crane needed to take down the remains of the building most efficiently.

He said the building’s core is like a grain silo.

“It’s one piece of concrete from bottom to top,” he said. “It will be very difficult to tear it down.”

Maybe they should let it stay as a community storm shelter. An EF3 did rake across north Dallas a few months ago. I think a tornado that size would hit that thing and instantly wind down to a harmless gust of wind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom