Leapfrog Leap Pad Explorer or Vtech Innotab Tablet (1 Viewer)

keepoursaints

I hate American Airlines
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
lens18346146_1313691336innotab-vs-leappad.jpg

We've been trying to decide between the 2 products for our boys and I've read tons of reviews, however I'd rather get input from you guys/gals if possible.

Do any of your kids have either or both of these products and which would you recommend?

Kyler is 5 and Landon is 2 1/2 and both are very used to technology and play on our iphones and my parent's iPad all the time.

The Leap Pad seems to have more educational games and has a built in camera, but the storage is only 2GB and not expandable.

Innotab seems to possibly not be built as well, lacks a camera, but allows for movie, video, pictures to be stored on a SD card.

Just curious if anyone can provide some personal experiences to help tip the scale one way or another.

We are doing the LeapPad for our 3 yr old this year. Thought about vtech, but we had great success with other Leap Frog products with our first born. Not worried about the 2GB memory aspect as i dont think the 3yr old will do much at first.

For our 8 yr old, we are getting her the Nook Color. She adores reading. Does it every chance she gets. She can still download apps, games. And apparantly they will soon offer video.

Thought long and hard about getting her the Ipad 2, but she wouldnt be using it to its full potential and $699 is just too much on one gift for an 8 yr old unless you swim in $100 bills.

wrestled with this as well, and my honest feeling (and what we will do eventually) is just get an ipad - i didn't like how expensive the cartidges were (and how product ladened they were)
I feel that the ipad would be better over all in terms of versatility, games, education, etc

now two boys sharing one ipad?????

The sharing thing is a big issue, especially on road trips. I'm thinking that 2 Vtech ones at about $70 each makes more sense and we won't be so stressed out worrying about them breaking a $700 ipad.

I'm hearing some good for both, I think it will just come down to a minor feature that will tip the scale. I hope to head to BestBuy or some toy store to see them both in person soon.

I'm getting my wife an iPad 2 for Christmas and handing down her OtterBoxed iPad to the kid. I'd rather pay $2-5 for an app for it and her have a device that can grow with her as opposed to $20 for an app on a crappy device.

/pointless ramble

That said, she's got a MobiGo and a Leapster and neither jumps out at me as being better than the other. I'd make my pick between these two based on content.

I'm getting my wife an iPad 2 for Christmas and handing down her OtterBoxed iPad to the kid. I'd rather pay $2-5 for an app for it and her have a device that can grow with her as opposed to $20 for an app on a crappy device.

/pointless ramble

That said, she's got a MobiGo and a Leapster and neither jumps out at me as being better than the other. I'd make my pick between these two based on content.

This. I got the Ipad2 last week and my 2 year old loves it. Tons of free as well as inexpensive apps and books. It takes what is on the Leap Pad and builds on it and lets you grow from age 2 to age whatever. Plus I can get my Sunday Ticket and Netflix on it. :9:

We went with the Innotab because it plays movies and you can expand the storage. The one real plus for the Leap Pad, the camera, wasn't enough to pick it over the Vtech version in our eyes.

We bought 2 Innotabs, 2 cases and 2 car chargers from Vtech's site and the total was under $200 with shipping. :9:

KOS, we went with the Innotab as well. After reading all the reviews, we basically came to the conclusion that neither is great as an educational tool. We're looking at other toys that are better for her as far as that goes. Leap Pad is slightly better, but being only slightly better than Innotab learning wise isn't saying much. The Innotab however, has the ability to be a lot more entertaining for our 4 year old. I see us using it as a distraction that isn't totally bad when she tires of the more educational gadgets which as you know is a sure thing with kids around this age. Here's hoping we made the right choice. :9:

We're prob getting the Leap Pad for our kids. However, I've checked a ton of places but they're all sold out as of now. :/

We're prob getting the Leap Pad for our kids. However, I've checked a ton of places but they're all sold out as of now. :/

That's another reason why we went with the Vtech....

so KOS can you take movies that you own at home and put them on a card and play it on the Innotab? Not sure what we are going to do. We have looked at both of these as well. RIght now we both have ipads so he plays with those a lot but I was thinking about road trips and having one of these that can play a game or some short movie without him using the ipad and the 3g connection.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom