LeBron and his "cramps" (1 Viewer)

Schlereth is talking about this right now and made the following points:

1. people saying that the cramps weren't enough to sideline him or that it was simply "mind over matter" don't know what they are talking about - it's as simple as this: they've never experienced it and have no idea what they are talking about

2. He has played games with popped tendons and other major injuries - stayed in the game and didn't have to come out. And there have been times when he's had cramps and he had to come out. I don't think anyone here would call Schlereth soft or weak.

3. When the muscles lock up they are not going to work. They simply lock up and are rendered useless and that's aside from the extreme pain. You cannot bend your legs, you can't flex them - they are locked up and you are hobbled and simply cannot do, no matter how badly you want to go back in or how strong the willpower is.

sure and it's "like" turf toe, in that it seems a silly thing that can actually be quite debilitating - i think most of the smirking is b/c lebron is given to histrionics and certainly more flopping/call baiting than a GOAT should really be displaying

I've watched about 5 minutes of ESPN from the end of the game until now. All I know from every person talking on the issue is "if you're criticizing LeBron for not playing with cramps, you've never played sports or had serious cramps," and "it's not fair to LeBron to get this kind of scrutiny; everyone riding him is dumb."

I have no problem with him sitting out with cramps. Especially on a heavily-muscled body like his, they can be very painful, easy to get, and not something I'd expect him to even try to play through. Where I criticize him is in the aftermath, especially him being carried off the court to the bench. That's classic "injured hero" stuff. Willis Reed hobbling out of the tunnel is still part of the NBA's pregame intro. Paul Pierce did the exact same thing as LeBron a few years ago; he was writhing in pain, had to be carried off the court into the locker room, and came back out and finished the game which energized the building and team. Players get fouled or knocked down and act as if every bone in their body is possibly broken. The staff comes over, talks to them, rubs a calf, and they spring up and continue playing. Dwayne Wade does it a lot, and LeBron is good for at least one a series. It's the soccer effect, basically.

Was he hurting? Yes. Would I expect him to play through it? No. But he embellished a bit, and that's where the backlash comes from, at least for me. Not that he had cramps, but that he had cramps and reacted the way he did. If it was as serious as it looked, he'd have been in the locker room immediately getting an IV.

Huh? Professional soccer players let the ball do the work. They make runs.

They run for 90 min plus....I'm pretty sure when it comes to stamina, they are quite arguably the fittest athletes.

The ball do the work? Lol. Soccer players around the globe wish that were true.

They run for 90 min plus....I'm pretty sure when it comes to stamina, they are quite arguably the fittest athletes.

The ball do the work? Lol. Soccer players around the globe wish that were true.

I played a lot of soccer growing up. It starts with everyone running after the ball when you're young. As you get older, you realize that you let the ball do the work. You make runs, you get into position, etc. I'm not denying the amount of stamina it takes. But to compare those guys to a 6'8, 250 pound human moving like he does is silly. Do you realize how much energy these guys expend just on defense? And then to be counted on to be the primary guy on offense as well in a building that's 90 degrees and people are claiming he faked it? For what? He's the best basketball player in the world playing on the biggest stage. His team is up late in the game and he faked an injury? Dumb.

Lebron is a role model for so many kids these days and he sent a different message than the idols we 80's and 90's kids watched. Was it logical for him to stop playing. Yep. He and his trainers are better educated than those in the 90's, so you can say it would have been a huge risk to keep playing him.

Oh geez......lighten up Francis.

LeBron is a big boy and he knows that with all of the fame/fortune/and a million awards, being criticized goes with the territory.

In fact, when they interviewed LeBron before Game One, he told the story of how he went to the kitchen for breakfast, after the last game of the Championship, and his own son made fun of him and said, "only 7 points??!!"

When LeBron received the "Athlete of the Year" award at the ESPY's this year, he named each of the other nominees and what they had done. LeBron then said, that each of them deserved the award, but, "I am keeping this at my house!!" The other nominees cracked up laughing, and Spoelstra did as well.

LeBron likes to have fun and he does not care about the hundreds of jokes & tweets about his cramps.

He is staying totally focused on winning a game.

(GO SPURS!!!!! GET IT DONE!!!)

Oye just used Mark Schlereth's words to make a point.

Think about that for a second.

whoaaapats.gif

90 degrees on the court. That's friggin ridiculous in basketball. I'm shocked more guys didn't drop. LeBron plays as hard or harder than anyone in the league.

I'll also echo anyone who thinks you can play through a cramp never played ball or had a cramp.

Iv'e played college football, and I've had cramps lingering into the next night after games...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom