Left Lane Advisory (1 Viewer)

according to some here, it doesn't matter if someone is doing 100, if your in the left lane doing 80, with cars on your right, it's your fault if you don't risk your life squeezing in between 2 cars doing 65 so the 100 mph guy doesn't have to slow down until you have adequate room to get over..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
To who here? Name me one person who claims that. Just one.

5p983hrdb63y.gif

In your years of driving, how often do you come across someone going below the speed limit in the left lane of a highway? I've been driving for long enough to know that its exceedingly rare, as in almost never happens. The common scenario that happens is somebody exceeding the speed limit in the left lane, but at a lesser rate than the person behind wants to go. So what this all boils down to is some people wanting to go faster than the speed limit and getting pissy if they aren't able to. Not one of you guys giving me thumbs down has had the intellectual honesty to own up to this truth.

Driving below the speed limit in the left lane is not exceedingly rare, it's exceedingly commonplace in this area and, along with stopping in acceleration lanes, is very often cited as one of the worst things about driving in this neck of the woods. From what I'm reading it's epidemic everywhere.

You sound like one of "them" driving 50 in the left lane when the speed limit is 65, then getting pissy when someone with a greater sense of urgency drives up on your bumper and flashes headlights for you to get the hell out of the way.

You are not a cop and have no right to enforce any speed limit. If someone is driving too radically for you then pull over, call the local highway patrol, and let them do the job for which they are paid.

Over the holidays, I took a road trip with my daughters from New Orleans through Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina, and was reminded of this thread while traveling. Despite the recent push with signage and public reminders, it seemed even worse these days with (slower) traffic sitting in the left lane. Not passing other cars in the right lane, even in a gradual or slow fashion. And it wasn't always just the occasional single car, it was often LINES OF CARS, with proper gaps between them, traveling in the left lane while the right lane for the same length of cars was COMPLETELY OPEN. No one passing, everyone going the same basic rate of speed.

I would have taken a picture, but I was driving. Here is a diagram to show what I am describing:

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 2
according to your diagram, it looks as if the gold car in the left lane is causing the problem. the light blue, red, gray, black cars are not the issue. maybe they want to go faster, but are closed off by the front car. if im the light blue car or the red, I'm not getting over. I want the gold car to move. if your the purple car on the end, you may get mad at the black gray and red car, but they are simply in the same situation as you. it is not their responsibility to move over into the right lane just because the lead car is impeding the flow. it sucks, but I'm going to stay in the left lane until the car in front gets the hell out of the way..
now maybe the diagram doesn't do justice on the traffic issue, but according to it, that how I see it..

according to your diagram, it looks as if the gold car in the left lane is causing the problem. the light blue, red, gray, black cars are not the issue. maybe they want to go faster, but are closed off by the front car. if im the light blue car or the red, I'm not getting over. I want the gold car to move. if your the purple car on the end, you may get mad at the black gray and red car, but they are simply in the same situation as you. it is not their responsibility to move over into the right lane just because the lead car is impeding the flow. it sucks, but I'm going to stay in the left lane until the car in front gets the hell out of the way..
now maybe the diagram doesn't do justice on the traffic issue, but according to it, that how I see it..

No, it's a diagram and doesn't do the "real world" justice.. the gaps were proportionately longer, and no one in the left was "waiting" on the gold car... they were all going a constant rate of about 70 mph for several minutes. There was plenty of room for any of them to pass the gold car if they wanted on the right-- which is what I (doing about 75-77 mph) wound up doing, as no one got over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom