Left Lane Advisory (1 Viewer)

I'll try to spell it out one more time. Nobody is supposed to be driving above the speed limit, that's an inarguable fact.

And yet most law enforcement on the interstate will allow up to a 7-10mph buffer before issuing speeding tickets.

You and I basically have identical driving habits, FYI.

I'll try to spell it out one more time. Nobody is supposed to be driving above the speed limit, that's an inarguable fact. Pretty much everyone complaining about another car in the left lane is just mad because their attempt to exceed the speed limit is being thwarted. Getting upset about not being able to break the speed limit is just not a reasonable complaint to have in my opinion. I can't state it more clearly than that.

I'm a courteous driver, I let people in front when they need to merge and let people get past me when they want. Same reason I hold the door open for the person behind me, because it's a courteous thing to do. But this thread is the equivalent of somebody getting mad when a door isn't held open for them. I am speaking out against this sense of entitlement. People getting bratty when they aren't able to travel quite as much above the speed limit as desired.

I think I understand the point you are making now, but it's inconsequential to being safe in my opinion. You are arguing a side point that it's not OK to be bratty but you are making it sound like you are against proper lane usage. Can we agree that proper lane usage makes everyone safer and move on from that point? Holding the door for someone doesn't make them safer, per say, it's just nice. Using lanes properly makes people safer.

Hey I am in total agreeance with you that bratty ***** who just want things their way are a huge problem in society. But how is clinging to unsafely cruising in the left lane not being bratty, also? If everyone were just more courteous in life in general, we would all be better off.

In your years of driving, how often do you come across someone going below the speed limit in the left lane of a highway? I've been driving for long enough to know that its exceedingly rare, as in almost never happens.

Here is an anecdote on just how exceedingly rare this occurrence is. I don't commute daily like I used to, so when I got to experience this yesterday I had a little "see what i am talking bout, willis?" moment.

I went to my mothers yesterday to watch the Saints game with her. She lives in Jennings, I live in Lafayette.

This happened TWICE in 35 miles on the interstate(actually within a 20 mile span). Both times the driver going under the speed limit, both times zero% regard for the rest of the world. One was old people(like over 70 yrs)(going less than 70 MPH with NO ONE else around for miles), so that is more forgivable initially until you realize it is old people and old people should probably never be in the left lane.

The other time was the guy going less than 65 in the other guy going less than 65's blind spot for about 5 to 10 minutes, with people having to use the right lane to pass and then they had to tailgate the guy in the right lane in order to squeeze by to the left lane to be able to pass.

BTW, most of the times I pass cars rather than trucks it's the highly variable speed people. These freak me out. They must be stopping to text, or daydreaming or getting into deep discussions with passenger, but for a good long while they're doing 70+ slowly expanding gap, then for a few minutes I'm catching them then passing as they drop to almost 60, then they "wake up" and pass me eventually, then they get distracted and slow down again. Repeat a few times. Usually they're not weaving, but it always worries me that they're dozing or something's wrong. These guys are rare BTW.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AdviceAnim..._strength_from_their_tears_and_anger/cbnhvxv/

In college, my best friend and I had a summer job culling trees from a property 50kms (30miles) from the nearest hospital/ambulance station. We both got the job at the same time and worked there for almost 3 summers in a team of 5 guys. We were all very skilled with equipment and had been through extensive training. Two of the guys on the team were professional arborists. We had all the gear, but as anyone with professional experience with chainsaws will tell you, unpredictable accidents can happen.
On a late August morning we had just finished downing a 30 foot white pine and were in the process of removing the branches. My friend was working his way down the trunk when he hit a knot in an oddly formed branch and the chainsaw kicked and due to the admittedly awkward position he was in sliced into a seam between his chaps and his belt.
The blood started flowing immediately and everyone stopped. While the others stabilized him, I ran to get my car knowing in any case we'd have to drive. While trying to control the bleeding we loaded him into the back seat of my car and I started driving as fast as I could towards the nearest hospital. 10/50kms in we got cell coverage and arranged a place to meet the nearest ambulance. I knew we had to get him in fast as we were having trouble controlling the bleeding. When I reached the 416 I started going faster than I had ever driven before.
While in the middle of nowhere most people would see me coming and move to the right lane (slower traffic keeping right), but as we got closer to town we started coming across packs. It was 25/50kms to the hospital that we came across a white Nissan Altima and a Subaru Forester that blocked us in just like the OP likes to do. I can still remember the license plates of those to cars to this day. She was doing everything to ensure I didn't pass. She slowed up down from 90-75km/h (speed limit is 100km/h - ~60mph). We were stuck. It was this way for a solid 10minutes. It wasn't until we got to the next exit ramp that I was able to pass on the inside and get by. By this point most of our clothes had been used to help soak up the blood/applying pressure.
Frustrated one of the guys threw a T-shirt that was dripping in blood out the window as we passed and hung out to give them a wave. He, like all of us, was covered in blood. The blood soaked T-shirt landed midway up the hood of the white Altima leaving a streak as it slid/rolled up and over the windshield.
5kms (3 miles down the highway) we were joined by an OPP officer (like a state trooper/highway patrol) who matched our speed and helped to clear the way to the ambulance waiting a further 2 miles down the road. By that point the bleeding had slowed and my friend had a very weak pulse. The ambulance crew was ready and waiting and transferred him within seconds of our arrival. I jumped into the ambulance and we all took off. Sadly the friend died a few minutes later, 1km (<1mile) from the hospital.
My friends were at the side of the road explaining the situation to the police officer when the white Altima showed up. I wasn't there for this part, so I'm going by the stories they told me. Anyways, she stopped and approached the officer in such a way that she couldn't see the blood soaked guys. She was shouting about dangerous driving and going to kill someone, yadda yadda yadda. The officer brought her around to look at the inside of my car which was covered in blood, and then pointed to the other two guys from my crew who were covered in blood from head to toe. He explained there was a medical emergency and asked if what we had said about her impeding the flow of traffic was correct. He cited her for a number of things including unnecessarily slow driving and dangerous driving. While he was writing the ticket he was informed of the death of my friend in the ambulance. The guy stopped writing the ticket to come over and tell the guys what happened. He opted to not tell the lady in the Altima, but the other guys on the team sure let her know.
The guys got in the car and came to meet me at the hospital where we were going to meet with police to explain the situation. On the way they passed the Subaru Forester, which had been stopped by another OPP officer.
Your best bet is to get out of the way if you can. While the driver behind you may just be an *******, it may also be someone with a medical emergency; a partner in labour, a child having a diabetic attack, or a tree surgeon bleeding to death. In any case, letting them past you doesn't affect you in any way and may save a life. These scenarios aren't likely, but they also aren't impossible. It ultimately comes down to how you decide to process the situation. If you want to operate on the default mode of assuming you're right and everyone else is wrong, you're going to have a terrible time functioning in society. Lines, traffic, call centers, and dealing with big business or government will always seem tedious to you. On the other hand, if you can view the world from a more understanding perspective you'll be able to relax and stop being such a dick. Have a good life!

I'll try to spell it out one more time. Nobody is supposed to be driving above the speed limit, that's an inarguable fact. Pretty much everyone complaining about another car in the left lane is just mad because their attempt to exceed the speed limit is being thwarted. Getting upset about not being able to break the speed limit is just not a reasonable complaint to have in my opinion. I can't state it more clearly than that.
Nobody is supposed to drive in the left lane and not merge right (if it safe to do so) if they are going slower than other traffic behind them, that's an inarguable fact. Pretty much everyone complaining about a speeder coming up behind them in the left lane is just mad because their attempt to ride in the left lane without regard to other traffic is being thwarted. Getting upset about not being able to break the "slower traffic keep right" law is just not a reasonable complaint to have in my opinion. I can't state it more clearly than that.

Additionally, most state legislatures have codified this specific understanding of the law such that riding in the left lane(s) and not moving to the right when it is safe to yield to faster traffic behind you is a WORSE offense than speeding. At this point, it isn't because you think those people are breaking the law because you are breaking a more serious one by refusing to move over. Once again, I can't state it more clearly than that.

I'm a speeder. I drive 80/82 in a 75 (and then sometimes even in a 65 when the speed limit drops as I get closer to downtown) and set cruise control. I don't get mad at people in the left lane going slower making me not be able to go as fast as I want to or interrupt cruise control; that's a fact of driving on the highway there will always be someone going slower than I am who is passing someone else. It's when there is obvious room to get over into the right and let others pass and then get back into the left lane without any interruption on their speed, yet they refuse to get over, or the ones who never leave the left lane that gets me upset. Most of the time I just pass on the right if I figure out they won't get over. That is inherently more dangerous than them getting over, but if they're willing to break a more serious law to stay in the left for no reason, I don't trust their ability to know the rest of the rules of the road and I'll just get around them as soon as I can safely do it. I don't tailgate, and I don't drive aggressively (swerving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, etc.) -- I just drive faster and with a little less moral indignation than you do apparently.

Nobody is supposed to drive in the left lane and not merge right (if it safe to do so) if they are going slower than other traffic behind them, that's an inarguable fact. Pretty much everyone complaining about a speeder coming up behind them in the left lane is just mad because their attempt to ride in the left lane without regard to other traffic is being thwarted. Getting upset about not being able to break the "slower traffic keep right" law is just not a reasonable complaint to have in my opinion. I can't state it more clearly than that.

Additionally, most state legislatures have codified this specific understanding of the law such that riding in the left lane(s) and not moving to the right when it is safe to yield to faster traffic behind you is a WORSE offense than speeding. At this point, it isn't because you think those people are breaking the law because you are breaking a more serious one by refusing to move over. Once again, I can't state it more clearly than that.

I'm a speeder. I drive 80/82 in a 75 (and then sometimes even in a 65 when the speed limit drops as I get closer to downtown) and set cruise control. I don't get mad at people in the left lane going slower making me not be able to go as fast as I want to or interrupt cruise control; that's a fact of driving on the highway there will always be someone going slower than I am who is passing someone else. It's when there is obvious room to get over into the right and let others pass and then get back into the left lane without any interruption on their speed, yet they refuse to get over, or the ones who never leave the left lane that gets me upset. Most of the time I just pass on the right if I figure out they won't get over. That is inherently more dangerous than them getting over, but if they're willing to break a more serious law to stay in the left for no reason, I don't trust their ability to know the rest of the rules of the road and I'll just get around them as soon as I can safely do it. I don't tailgate, and I don't drive aggressively (swerving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, etc.) -- I just drive faster and with a little less moral indignation than you do apparently.
Don't give me "inherently more dangerous". Nobody is forcing you to break the speed limit or pass on the right in order to continue speeding. If you were obeying traffic laws you would have no problem with somebody driving the speed limit in any lane of traffic. Those are solely your decisions that you made. Furthermore, tailing at unsafe distances is exponentially the more dangerous thing to do, and that's what left lane jerks love to do the moment they are unable to speed as fast as they want. I know there are people in this thread who fall into that category, and they are thumbing up posts like yours, and they don't have the courage or the self awareness to own up to their bad driving practices so they place their anger on other drivers who aren't breaking speed limit laws or unsafely tailing other vehicles. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year.

Don't give me "inherently more dangerous". Nobody is forcing you to break the speed limit or pass on the right in order to continue speeding. If you were obeying traffic laws you would have no problem with somebody driving the speed limit in any lane of traffic. Those are solely your decisions that you made. Furthermore, tailing at unsafe distances is exponentially the more dangerous thing to do, and that's what left lane jerks love to do the moment they are unable to speed as fast as they want. I know there are people in this thread who fall into that category, and they are thumbing up posts like yours, and they don't have the courage or the self awareness to own up to their bad driving practices so they place their anger on other drivers who aren't breaking speed limit laws or unsafely tailing other vehicles. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year.

Why does this sign exist?
0203_bilo_left%20lane02.jpg

While speeding is breaking the law, it is more dangerous to impede traffic on highways than it is to speed. All you are doing is stacking up drivers behind you if you are not,at the least, continuing the average flow of traffic. The worse thing is to have two drivers, riding side by side on a two lane highway.

This is perfect!!!!

http://rebrn.com/re/cop-pulls-over-slow-driver-in-the-fast-lane-2644772/

It is inherently more dangerous, NO MATTER THE SPEED. Nobody is forcing YOU to break the law by riding in the left lane and not getting over for faster traffic. You're of the mindset that if you are going the speed limit, you can ride in any lane you want but that is NOT true. YOU are breaking the law if you are in the left lane and not yielding to faster traffic NO MATTER THE SPEED. Your obstinate refusal to obey the law to yield can escalate a situation that doesn't require it because you want to be a left-lane vigilante and not get over. I don't tailgate and you would still sit in the left lane breaking a more serious law just to spite others. Nobody is speeding to spite others. You're taking a minor infraction and turning into a personal vendetta. Again, state legislatures wrote laws specifically to tell people like you to yield. You complain because some speeders tailgate you, yet you yourself are treating ALL other drivers on the road this same spiteful way. Speeding is not as unsafe as hogging the left lane when someone wants to pass. No matter how much you want to stamp your feet and claim otherwise, that is not the truth.

Happy New Year to you as well. :)

It is inherently more dangerous, NO MATTER THE SPEED. Nobody is forcing YOU to break the law by riding in the left lane and not getting over for faster traffic. You're of the mindset that if you are going the speed limit, you can ride in any lane you want but that is NOT true. YOU are breaking the law if you are in the left lane and not yielding to faster traffic NO MATTER THE SPEED. Your obstinate refusal to obey the law to yield can escalate a situation that doesn't require it because you want to be a left-lane vigilante and not get over. I don't tailgate and you would still sit in the left lane breaking a more serious law just to spite others. Nobody is speeding to spite others. You're taking a minor infraction and turning into a personal vendetta. Again, state legislatures wrote laws specifically to tell people like you to yield. You complain because some speeders tailgate you, yet you yourself are treating ALL other drivers on the road this same spiteful way. Speeding is not as unsafe as hogging the left lane when someone wants to pass. No matter how much you want to stamp your feet and claim otherwise, that is not the truth.

Happy New Year to you as well. :)

Tailing at a close distance is far more dangerous than going with the flow of traffic and being in the left lane. That is blatantly true, obvious enough that I don't need to "stamp my feet" about it. And it's extremely common among those people who feel passionate about having unobstructed left lane access. I see it all the time. My favorite is when some a hole is tailing a vehicle in the left lane, and another a hole starts tailing the tailgater. That's karma!

This is a long thread so I'm going to assume you must have skipped all the other posts where I explained my own driving practices. But you should read those posts if you care about being factually correct and not making a litany of unfounded assumptions.

Then there's the "Move Over Law". Move over into the left lane for an emergency vehicle on the shoulder with this lights on OR slow down to 20 miles under the speed limit (I.E., 50 in a 70). So, stay right, stay left, travel slower than the prevailing speeds. I seriously do not want to drive the highways anymore.

This is a long thread so I'm going to assume you must have skipped all the other posts where I explained my own driving practices. But you should read those posts if you care about being factually correct and not making a litany of unfounded assumptions.
I've read the whole thread and your posts. Funny thing is you apparently haven't read mine or you willingly ignore those things you don't agree with or just want to overlook.

Tailing at a close distance is far more dangerous than going with the flow of traffic and being in the left lane. That is blatantly true, obvious enough that I don't need to "stamp my feet" about it. And it's extremely common among those people who feel passionate about having unobstructed left lane access. I see it all the time. My favorite is when some a hole is tailing a vehicle in the left lane, and another a hole starts tailing the tailgater. That's karma!

Read this whole thread and you are a piece of garbage.

My neighbor is a state trooper in Maryland. He says it is Maryland State Police policy to allow the flow of traffic to generate its own speed limit. If the flow of traffic is 70 in a 55 zone it then becomes more dangerous to try and single out one vehicle so they allow traffic to tool along at 70. MSP will focus on the ones doing 30+ over the speed limit.

Aggressive and unsafe behavior is another thing entirely, the guy doing 90 and weaving in and out of traffic is almost as much of a hazard as the guy doing 50 in the left lane (Mark's words, not mine :hihi:)

My neighbor is a state trooper in Maryland. He says it is Maryland State Police policy to allow the flow of traffic to generate its own speed limit. If the flow of traffic is 70 in a 55 zone it then becomes more dangerous to try and single out one vehicle so they allow traffic to tool along at 70. MSP will focus on the ones doing 30+ over the speed limit.

Aggressive and unsafe behavior is another thing entirely, the guy doing 90 and weaving in and out of traffic is almost as much of a hazard as the guy doing 50 in the left lane (Mark's words, not mine :hihi:)
according to some here, it doesn't matter if someone is doing 100, if your in the left lane doing 80, with cars on your right, it's your fault if you don't risk your life squeezing in between 2 cars doing 65 so the 100 mph guy doesn't have to slow down until you have adequate room to get over..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom