Left Lane Advisory (1 Viewer)

kcirdor

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4oqfodY2Lz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The following(From Driver Ed website) is referencing passing on a two lane road, but it is still valid. Move to the right, and don't impede passing. Which on 4 land highways is extended to stay in the right lane unless passing.

https://driversed.com/driving-information/driving-techniques/choosing-lanes.aspx

Position your vehicle to keep up with the traffic flow. If other drivers are going faster than the speed limit, slow down and move to the right. You should never exceed the legal speed limit.

Don't drive in the blind spot of another driver or drive in bunches. Try to keep other vehicles out of your blind spots.

https://driversed.com/driving-information/driving-techniques/being-passed.aspx

You must constantly be aware of passing vehicles. Frequently check your mirrors and be aware of the space around you. When a vehicle begins passing, it is a good idea to move into far right side of the lane.

Never speed up when being passed. If you hear a warning honk from the driver trying to pass, give the right-of-way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle.

Highway travel is one place I would think driver automation would be viable and useful.

In Germany there is no passing on the right either. Plus they all have mandatory drivers education..Insurance is very expensive and drunk driving is verboten..very harsh penalties.

Yet, if you get caught going over the speed limit on the left lane, even while passing, you get a ticket. No consistency.

when I'm in the right lane, just cruising along, not in a hurry, I CANNOT stand the guy who rides my tail because someone is in the left lane going slower than me. Get your butt over and ride the tail of the guy that's causing your problem. I'll make your life hell, I will slow down about 20 mph.
Also the guy who thinks, during rush hour traffic, that the 1000's of people in front of him just needs to get out of his way. we all know traffic sucks sometimes. if there is a line of cars as far as the eyes can see, I'm not getting over behind someone doing 50 mph to appease you.

Yet, if you get caught going over the speed limit on the left lane, even while passing, you get a ticket. No consistency.
I've gotten that ticket before.
there was an 18 wheeler in the right lane, I was passing him, someone runs up on me, so I speed up even more to get passed the truck, as soon as I get over, there is the State Trooper. guess who he gets? me. 80 in 70. not the guy who was clearly going way faster than me.

They paid their taxes on both lanes, so they can use the one they like. Idiots.

There's an 8 mile stretch with 2 lanes in each direction between my college town and the next, and there must be 10 or more "Keep right except to pass, it's the law" or "Slower traffic keep right" signs, but it's still not uncommon to have jerks doing 56 in the left lane building up 5 cars behind them.

I just don't get the whole, I'm driving here and I don't like the way you are driving so let me slow down to unreasonably slow speeds just to escalate the possibility of an accident.

Live and let live. Drive and let drive.

You aren't special, if you wanted to be a police officer, they are hiring.

I've gotten that ticket before.
there was an 18 wheeler in the right lane, I was passing him, someone runs up on me, so I speed up even more to get passed the truck, as soon as I get over, there is the State Trooper. guess who he gets? me. 80 in 70. not the guy who was clearly going way faster than me.

I got clocked going 95 on a 65.

So 2 lanes northbound, one lane closed because of construction... after the construction ended, the road turns into 4 lanes. So, from the right-most lane, guy in front of me going slow, I pass on the immediate left... again another guy going slower than me, pass him again on the immediate left. Yet again, another dude going slower than me, pass it on the immediate left. As I am passing some cars driving on the left-most lane, trooper stops me . The "I was passing slower traffic" comment got a "you were passing too fast" reply, together with a summons.

If you are going 95 in a 65, you are lucky you weren't put in jail and lost your license for a year.

Again, from the fallout over the tailgater v brakechecker thread, anyone trying to be the special traffic hallway monitor or bully needs to check it, or stay on 40MPH roads without traffic.

Both are annoying and dangerous as hell, and when they meet the rest of us have to hope they don't do something so stupid and egregiously dangerous that they don't kill us for their own ego issues.

Even though I've become more and more a slow driver and was never a speed freak, I tend to think the slow down and brake check guys are the deadlier ones, though it seems the other way around. The speed freaks at least reliably get out of the way and are down the road when you just shrug and get over. He's road ragey and a jerk, but he's gone from my area. It's in my power to get him down the road and away from me.

A slow down "hall monitor" guy that gets equally road ragey and starts speeding up and slowing down to leave just too little space for the ragey tailgater to get around him can keep everyone in danger for a half hour. The oblivious are one thing, but usually honked at or seeing cars build up well over half just get over. The tailgaters, well over half start to get it and cool their jets when they realize traffic is so thick they'll have to do it all 50 times in the next 4 miles and still won't be a minute ahead. The ones though that know for a fact that they're "standing up" for their right to drive slow in the left lane, or know that traffic is the same for everyone they aren't being obnoxiously slow, to me though are the most dangerous drivers, just slightly below the guy that drank 3 fifths of booze.

Always excuses on why not to do it... so frustrating. Drive and let drive is correct. You can go the speed you like in the right lane. When you encounter a slower vehicle, pass them in the left lane as soon as there is a chance and get back over as soon as there is a chance. It doesn't mean you will never have to slow down ever in either lane, but if everyone followed that, it would cut down on the frequency greatly.

If you are going 95 in a 65, you are lucky you weren't put in jail and lost your license for a year.

... or shot, but that begs the question: why is it not OK to go the speed limit on the left lane? The limit should be the limit, right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom