Left tackle (1 Viewer)

Let's all be honest here. How many of you clicked on this thread just to see nightshade's avatar? Don't be shy guys, you can tell me. :hihi:

We can gamble on guys like Armstead or Chris Faulk in the mid rounds, but that makes me uneasy. I'd feel better with a serviceable free agent in hand if this is the plan.

It seems like all of our top draft targets are soaring into the top 10. A couple of weeks ago, no one had Lane Johnson or even Fischer going before 15. UGH!

SP said LT and pass rush are the 2 things keeping him up at night also he see the LT spit as blank on the depth chart with the issue with Charles Brown being "available"

This looks like we may be seeing 2 new LTs probably an affordable and serviceable free agent and a rookie draft pick.

I would like to see something like Winston Justice and then draft Oday Aboushay in the 4th. Unless somehow Lane Johnson falls to us at 15 I don't see much chance of getting help in the first round.

This is Brees' blind side so we need someone who us at least competent.

That 2nd round pick hurts right now
Damn you Goddell!!!!!

Winston Justice, really????? The guy who gave up 4 sacks in one half. The same Justice who has just been replaced at RT on the Colts roster by Gosder Cherilus - who they view as a huge upgrade

Evans is the exception not the rule. Also, it is more difficult to come into the league as a stating RG than a starting LT.

I never said otherwise. But, you said we never counted on a mid-round offensive lineman to start. And that's not true since Jahi Evans started in his rookie year.

At any rate, I would not have an issue with signing a fairly cheap vet (maybe someone to a short deal that did not get as much play in free agency as they thought) to compete with Brown and then taking a mid-round guy in the draft. If Brown is healthy, I think he will be an above-average LT who is as good or better than Bushrod in pass protection and, if he gets hurt, you go with a cheap vet or see if the rookie can take the job over.

That is unless one of the top tackles who are surefire starters drops to you in the first round. Which does not seem likely.

We can gamble on guys like Armstead or Chris Faulk in the mid rounds, but that makes me uneasy. I'd feel better with a serviceable free agent in hand if this is the plan.

It seems like all of our top draft targets are soaring into the top 10. A couple of weeks ago, no one had Lane Johnson or even Fischer going before 15. UGH!

I like Faulk, Armstead, and Mills (La Tech) as LT prospects.

Since we don't have a 2nd rounder and the Top 3 LT's will probably be off the board by our pick here are some mid round OT's. I hope there is a way to gain a 2nd rounder to land Terron Armstead because he will be long gone by our 3rd round pick.

Chris Faulk - Raw but very athletic LT for LSU. Really only played his sophmore year, was out his junior year with knee injury. Was really hoping he'd come back this year to help LSU but decided not to. Our offense definitley wasn't the same without him.
Chris Faulk Draft Profile

Oday Aboushay - don't know much about other than what's written
Oday Aboushi Draft Profile

Justin Pugh - NFLN has him rated as tied for 5th best OT but after reading this it doesn't sound like he should be in the top 20
Justin Pugh Draft Profile

Ricky Wagner - Wisconson usually produces some good OL, not one of their best one's and would probably be a good RT
Ricky Wagner Draft Profile

Xavier Nixon - Sounds like a decent prospect that needs some good coaching
Xavier Nixon Draft Profile

Jordan Mills - looks like a RT but has the athleticism to maybe play LT. Since we really need both he could be a good late rounder
Jordan Mills Draft Profile

Will we still be able to develop the same quality OL now that Kromer is gone?

I never said otherwise. But, you said we never counted on a mid-round offensive lineman to start. And that's not true since Jahi Evans started in his rookie year.

At any rate, I would not have an issue with signing a fairly cheap vet (maybe someone to a short deal that did not get as much play in free agency as they thought) to compete with Brown and then taking a mid-round guy in the draft. If Brown is healthy, I think he will be an above-average LT who is as good or better than Bushrod in pass protection and, if he gets hurt, you go with a cheap vet or see if the rookie can take the job over.

That is unless one of the top tackles who are surefire starters drops to you in the first round. Which does not seem likely.

My thoughts exactly, St. Widge. Good stuff.

Why not trade down to a the end of the 1st, take the 4th best tackle and pick up a 2nd.

With the signing of Watson, the ability to protect a young LT or a veteran RT that will make the switch becomes much less of a concern because we are able to protect him without showing our hand to the defense with 2 TE sets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom