Leftwich for backup (1 Viewer)

i dont think he would be a good idea because he would live on his back with the oline here. he is too slow with his release and he is not a smart qb we need smart qbs in our system and jaimie martin and tyler palko are perfect enough for that role.

Smarts and guts are not Byron's problem...he's got zero mobility so he takes too many sacks. He'd be a great backup.

No, it's my mistake i thought he'd been to the probowl at least once.But i still think he's much better than AB.10 times better!!

far from it.
ab in his prime was one of the best in the league at his time, and even though his skill has faded hes still better than leftwich

No way Ab is better than Leftwich.

Theres a reason Leftwich is still in the league and AB is on the couch eating Funyuns.

my only knock on Leftwich is that this offense depends on those quick routes and quick passes.. Leftwich has the slowest delivery of any QB in football... it's like watching molasses move uphill in february.... really slow!!! but other than that, he's definately better than Martin, but he will probably want to start somewhere, which ain't gunna happen...

No way Ab is better than Leftwich.

Theres a reason Leftwich is still in the league and AB is on the couch eating Funyuns.

Yeah, AB called out an owner for being a negligent cheapskate and then didn't light it up for the only other owner who'd take a chance on such a guy, (Al Davis)

All 32 starting QBs in the NFL would have to simultaneously die before AB would get a sniff of even a backup job.

They pretty much invented the term "blackballed" for people in AB's position.

I don't understand the comments of "Byron's release is too slow."

How much faster do you really think Jamie Martin's is?

I can't remember the last time Jamie Martin played a meaningful game. However, I can with BL.

Point is, if Drew ever gets injured (whether it be short term or season ending) Byron gives a much better shot at winning over Jamie.

Edt:

I'd like to see Palko play a game first. We have one of the best QB coaches in the league and I'd love to see how Tyler has come along.

Last edited:
I would rather us sign a guy like Quinn Gray from the Jags. Leftwich reminds me of slow, un-athletic version of Aaron Brooks. I'll say though, he's better than any of the back ups we have on our roster, but he may come with a price tag. Quinn Gray would probably be cheaper, and I think he's a better QB than Leftwich.

I would rather us sign a guy like Quinn Gray from the Jags. Leftwich reminds me of slow, un-athletic version of Aaron Brooks. I'll say though, he's better than any of the back ups we have on our roster, but he may come with a price tag. Quinn Gray would probably be cheaper, and I think he's a better QB than Leftwich.

I am actually all for this. Quinn Gray would ask for much less money than Byron and would probably outperform him.

But if Byron is our only option, sign him.

I seriously do not see the Saints actively going after Leftwich for a couple reasons. First, as previously mentioned, he'll demand starter money. Second, there are too many teams that have unreliable starting QBs. (Vikings, Jets, Bears and 49ers just to name a few)

I seriously do not see the Saints actively going after Leftwich for a couple reasons. First, as previously mentioned, he'll demand starter money. Second, there are too many teams that have unreliable starting QBs. (Vikings, Jets, Bears and 49ers just to name a few)

Jets drafted Clemens last year. While his stats may not be good, he was a rookie playing on a team where Pennington was doing bad (a very decent QB).

Alex Smith was unfortunate with the scheme that the O played. Run, run, run crap that's not working. Pass it 100 times now.

Tavaris Jackson is young and showed potential towards the end of the year.

The Bears will most likely draft a QB in hopes of building a long-term dynasty.

Jets drafted Clemens last year. While his stats may not be good, he was a rookie playing on a team where Pennington was doing bad (a very decent QB).

Alex Smith was unfortunate with the scheme that the O played. Run, run, run crap that's not working. Pass it 100 times now.

Tavaris Jackson is young and showed potential towards the end of the year.

The Bears will most likely draft a QB in hopes of building a long-term dynasty.
I totally agree with the points you brought up but it doesn't necessarily mean that one of those teams won't go after a veteran qb. But my bigger point was that Leftwich still has the skills it takes to be a productive starter in the leauge and probably won't settle for being a back up.

Payton's QB's need 2 things, a quick release and quick decision making.
I'm not sure Byron has either of those. There must be better options.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom