Leftwich for backup (1 Viewer)

The only player more of the antithesis of what Payton wants from his QB is Aaron Brooks. Or Leon Lett, if he decided to unretire and play QB. Leftwich is a smart QB with zero mobility and the world's slowest release. If Payton is going to bring in another QB to be a backup, it's going to be a young guy that he can mold or a veteran with similar knowledge of the game to Brees.

Palko will be ready this season.

i wouldnt think leftwich is looking for for a backup job. he went to atlanta knowing the qb situation and just could never overtake it.

if he does take a backup job, it'll probably be for some big dough, or for a team that might have a slight chance at needing his services in the long run (bucs,vikings,lions,bears,ect.)

I don't know where this "Leftwich's release is too slow" mess came from, but it's bunk. He displayed issues with his throwing motion on three step drops and the quick outs, but Leftwich is extremely accurate, have great touch on the ball and very good anticipation. His release has never been an issue that I have heard about until this thread. His throwing motion is somewhat awkward and slow, so that may be what you all are trying to say.

I don't know where this "Leftwich's release is too slow" mess came from, but it's bunk. He displayed issues with his throwing motion on three step drops and the quick outs, but Leftwich is extremely accurate, have great touch on the ball and very good anticipation. His release has never been an issue that I have heard about until this thread. His throwing motion is somewhat awkward and slow, so that may be what you all are trying to say.

You're kidding, right?

Also, Alge Crumpler is a cancer.

Payton's QB's need 2 things, a quick release and quick decision making.
I'm not sure Byron has either of those. There must be better options.

There are... Josh McCown for one. Chad Pennington would be an option if he was released from the Jets.

What people mean by a "slow release" is the time it takes the quarterback from the time he sets his arm to throw and the time lets the ball go. Leftwich has a very long wind-up, where he takes the ball from a low spot on his body and pulls it all the way behind him before he completes the arc behind his ear and lets it go.

A QB with a quick release hold the ball high on his body, has a compact delivery and flicks it off his wrist all within a second/second in a half.

Jeff George and Dan Marino had two of the quickest releases in the game, which meant they got the ball out quickly.

Jamie Martin has a good release time.. his problem is he holds the ball too long before deciding where to throw.

if im not mistaken wasnt our o-line number 1 in the league with the least sacks given up?

Thats doesn't mean Brees wasn't under constant pressure most of the season. He is just great at dumping the ball off. Theres a reason we didn't go downfield as much as we did in 06. Brees just didn't have the time.

And Leftwich wants to come to a team that has a chance at the superbowl. He's also a playoff type of qb. The presure of tha game dos'nt bother him.HE'S GOT SKILLS!!!

i never really understood how a QB can make his offensive line good until Drew came to NO.

the difference between him and AB are light years apart.

i never really understood how a QB can make his offensive line good until Drew came to NO.

the difference between him and AB are light years apart.

Concur. +1.

And I'd have to say -no thank you- to B.Leftwich. IMO keep cellophane-man J.Martin as a stop-gap while the coaching staff works up T.Palko. Then again, I am an idiot......

Did anyone see how he played for ATL last season. I'll pass. Let's develop someone internally.

Yes sir...

If the price is right, I'd take Leftwich in a heart beat over Jamie Martin. He was picking us a part in the Atlanta game before he was injured.

Not sure he'd want to sign as a backup at this point in his career - He's still young.

He'll probably want to go somewhere where he'd have a chance to start - That's not N.O.

Nonetheless, it would be great to have a QB like Leftwich ready to play, should - God forbid - something happened to Drew.

I agree about Leftwich over Martin, although Leftwich would surely be more expensive. Someone said they'd rather draft a QB and develop them, but you could still do that while Leftwich serves as the #2 QB for a year or 2.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom