Legal question on interview questions (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
My wife's friend was interviewed recently for a position in a plastic surgery fellowship.

In the interview it was first asked what it was like being an asian woman in surgery. Later it was brought up that she was married and had a kid and that she took 6 weeks off for maternity for her child while in residency. At some point, in general reference to these items/reasons it was mentioned that she would likely would have a hard time being accepted into the program being interviewed for.

Pretty sure some laws were broken here. Am I wrong?

Outside of these "negatives" she is hard working, easy to get along with, and scored the highest on their year-end exam two years in a row.

I say if she had recorded this interview on tape and took it to the CEO of the hospital she might be considered to have a "guaranteed" spot.

technically there are not any illegal questions during a job interview. But it may be evidence of discrimination.

just a little I would say

Probably.
But it wouldn't be a good case to take unless she could show that there is a pattern and practice of similar discrimination - whether that be against Asian people, Asian women, Asian women with children, women with children, or Asian people in general.
And that is true even if she had the interview on tape.

technically there are not any illegal questions during a job interview. But it may be evidence of discrimination.

Actually there are many illegal questions for interviews from my own experience and from just talking to someone who has been interviewing at hospitals for over 30 years now. However, if you openly speak of anything, it is then fair game. IE: If she said something about being an asian woman or about having kids...or anything like that...its fair game.

Actually there are many illegal questions for interviews from my own experience and from just talking to someone who has been interviewing at hospitals for over 30 years now.

What law?

Actually there are many illegal questions for interviews from my own experience and from just talking to someone who has been interviewing at hospitals for over 30 years now. However, if you openly speak of anything, it is then fair game. IE: If she said something about being an asian woman or about having kids...or anything like that...its fair game.

we'll she did not bring up those issues...

they were brought up by the interviewer...some obvious, and some by reading a recommendation. He then proceeded to tell her that they were reasons that why it would be likely that she would not get a position there. That has to be illegal in some way, correct? I mean, discrimination occurs every day, but to say how an why it was happening to the interviewed in an interview?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom