Leron Landry (1 Viewer)

bullocks and harper , this duo is set for the next 7-10 years. it were a big reach for the saints at this time

Thats quite a reach right there. Neither player has proven themselves yet to be a guy you can stick somewhere for 7-10 years. I'm not saying it won't happen with maybe one of them but they are not in that category right now.

Great Board and Discussion!

The first round pick is usually reserved for the best player on the board vs. the need of the team.

This years draft was a perfect example. Even though D'Brick was on the board along with the Hawk, players that definitely could have filled needed positions for us, we went with Reggie. Why? He was the BEST player on the board at the time.

2nd - 4th, possibly 5th in a strong draft like this year, are used to fill voids.

6th & 7th are long shots. Probably won't make the team, but could become an All Pro player like Colston.

:lit-journal-18392:

This kind of logic works far better for the NBA than the NFL. Get the best player on the board, worry about giving him playing time later. In the NFL, you get cut tomorrow for messing up today.

I think the Reggie Bush argument is null because pretty much any team in the Saints' position would have taken him. It's like calling the Kwame Brown selection a mistake now - five years ago, every GM in the NBA was hoping for a shot at him.

With the late first round pick we're heading towards, you draft for need, unless an absolute gem falls to you (R. Moss, D. McAllister, D. Marino though I'd argue he was a bit of both need and luxury).

I say trade all of our picks in rounds 1-6 for veteran starters and a 7th round pick. Then let Payton pick 7 Marques Colstons. We will Rule the world.

This is a great plan except that head coaches don't normally make the picks...they've got way too much to do to evaluate 350+ players. Head coaches identify the areas of need and the scouting department and GM make the calls.

And if the Saints decide that a Safety is what best helps the team in the first round then I'm all for it...

This is based on what? Bullocks has done nothing since he's been here and still plays like a rookie. You think that LeRon is suspect in coverage? Have yall seen how many times this kid has been burned this year? The guy was brought in to be a playmaker and he has one interception all year. Young player or not, he is depth calibur in this league. I'm not being a homer LSU fan; our defensive backfield needs playmakers and LeRon is one of the best in the draft class. I'm not saying that he's the best pick right now, but he would be a huge upgrade based on what we have playing there right now.

How can you say Landry would be a huge upgrade when we haven't seen him play at the pro level yet? If you are ready to give up on a second round pick after a year and a half, that's fine. But I am not ready to have a first or second round pick riding the bench a year or two into their career.....That's exactly what would happen if we drafted Landry. Either he or Bullocks would be on the bench. I would much rather give Bullocks some more time and fill a position we know we need...like say...CB, MLB, WLB. I'm not knocking Landry. I like the guy. I just think we have bigger needs. If you want to help the secondary, lets get a corner....The draft crop does include players that don't go to LSU.

Okay, I'm as big an LSU fan on here as anyone, but you have got to be kidding me. Let's just draft all LSU players, huh? We do noy need safeties, we need CB's and Linebackers. Oh, and all of you who want J. Russel, we already had Aaron Brooks. I don't want his oversized twin brother.:ezbill:

How come any good player from LSU is considered homerism but players with less stats anywhere else is a great player. Get over the tired old homerism talk and admit LSU has good players. There are lots of very good LSU players in the NFL and there will be a lot more in the future.

I think the problem is suggesting we spend our high picks on LSU players at positions we don't necessarily need when there are equally good players at positions we do need that don't go to LSU. I don't think people are saying the LSU players aren't any good. I think they are saying we don't need to draft a player just because he went to LSU.

I really really hope we draft as many LSU players as possible so in that case we can can choke every big game!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom