Les Miles appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

You

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Despite what some might think, Les Miles is a good man. He had the respect of the families that he recruited from, he always tried to honor his committments, and did his best to keep kids between the navigational bouys.

He won us a ton of games consistently, he made us laugh(sometimes without trying) and he kept LSU in good standing with the NCAA.

The guy from the midwest genuinely loved LSU. He didn't toy with our emotions every year with threats to leave. He did a lot off the field to help in the community. He seemed to love coaching our Tigers.

So the guy deserves some respect and admiration. He's a human being like all of us but he has (had) to be human in front of millions. It can't be easy.

So weigh in if you care to express yourself in a positive way toward Les Miles.

He certainly is a good man and was a great coach for us.

I wish him well.

Good man. Carries himself with Honor and Integrity. Didn't care for him as a coach.

Great guy, always had a classy attitude and treated his players with respect.
When he sat Lee in 2011 BCS championship game for Jefferson, the writing was on the wall for me.

Having Danny Etling on your roster and deciding to start Brandon Harris is honestly crazy. He was the "mad hatter" though I guess.

Good dude, cant be mad at him for keeping his job.

What does irk me is that this should've been done last year as to not waste LF7's last season in Baton Rouge. Wasting a once in a generation talent on a move that was made then not made is unacceptable.

Thank you Coach Miles!

You represented LSU with class and dignity and helped the people of LA get through some tough times. You navigated LSU through Rita/Katrina in his first year and the flooding of his last year. He is a good man who is well liked and respected and we will always be thankful for the good times he gave us.

Baton Rouge and LA loves Miles and his family and wish him nothing but success in the future.

I could even see him as like an ambassador for the university or even work in the Athletic department. Thanks Les! and Geaux Tigers!!

Great coach, better man.

His first season he had to deal with the impact of two hurricanes. This past season, he was dealing with the impact of two shootings in the community involving very touchy themes. He was hired to coach football, but he embraced the community as if he was born and raised right in Louisiana. He never complained about the hardships he was dealt. He never threw a player or coach under a bus. In fact, he would go out of his way to shoulder the criticism of a poor performing player or coach, even when it was obvious on who the real blame belonged. He was exactly the coach LSU needed. the thing that no one mentions about him is how difficult it is to follow a highly successful coach like Saban. All he did was become LSU's winning-est coach and figurehead for 11 years. He was the best coach in LSU history and it's not even close.

I hope he finds his way back to LSU in some capacity. Maybe he spends a few years on TV and then comes back to the "LSU Ambassador" like UF just did with Spurrier.

To Coach Les Miles...

Thank you for loving every kid that you ever recruited and doing your best to make men out of them while they were in your care. You represented the university well and upheld the spirit and tradition that endeared you to so many fans and alum.

Best wishes to you and your family for any and all of your endeavors in the future. :9:

A65075EA-C62C-408A-85E4-B915FC2AFD89_zpsf3afkcod.jpg

Saw this in the WaPo. Superchuck posted it in another thread:

Above all, what might be most striking about Miles — particularly off the field — is the charity he often showed.

Sometimes, it was blatantly public, like in 2013 when he rappelled down the side of One America Place, a Baton Rouge skyscraper, to raise awareness for adoption via the Over the Edge for Adoption campaign.

But sometimes, it was intensely private, like when he called a beat reporter who had previously suffered a miscarriage when she finally had her first child to congratulate her.

Or his relationship with Sid Ortis.

When Sid Ortis was 15 years old, the Mountain Brook, Ala., teenager already knew he had osteosarcoma, a devastating form of bone cancer. He knew he might die.

Though he lived in the heart of Alabama, he was a rabid LSU fan. After his second lung surgery, his neighbors put aside their collegiate pigskin differences and blanketed his home with purple and gold paraphernalia.

Miles learned of Ortis after local media wrote about the boy’s fandom. So, without fanfare, Miles called Ortis to chat. Ortis’s parents said they don’t know how he got their phone number.

“I said hello, and a woman said, ‘This is Les Miles’s secretary and he would like to speak to Sid,”’ Ortis’s mother Lynn told AL.com. “I was shocked.”

“Life is not how long you live, but how well you live it,” Miles told the 15-year-old.

He also invited Ortis to watch a game from the coach’s box when LSU played Auburn in 2015.

Things took a sad turn for Ortis, and the then 16-year-old entered hospice care. Miles once again called.

“When you get to Heaven, save a spot for me,” he told Ortis, who died quickly thereafter.

It’s still unclear who will replace Miles, but one thing is certain: He leaves behind one tough hat to fill.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...?hpid=hp_hp-morning-mix_mm-lsu:homepage/story

Les Miles on the Dan Patrick show;

"I had a great run at LSU, and I enjoyed myself the entire time... I will be rooting for the LSU Tigers"

Great coach, better man.

His first season he had to deal with the impact of two hurricanes. This past season, he was dealing with the impact of two shootings in the community involving very touchy themes. He was hired to coach football, but he embraced the community as if he was born and raised right in Louisiana. He never complained about the hardships he was dealt. He never threw a player or coach under a bus. In fact, he would go out of his way to shoulder the criticism of a poor performing player or coach, even when it was obvious on who the real blame belonged. He was exactly the coach LSU needed. the thing that no one mentions about him is how difficult it is to follow a highly successful coach like Saban. All he did was become LSU's winning-est coach and figurehead for 11 years. He was the best coach in LSU history and it's not even close.

I hope he finds his way back to LSU in some capacity. Maybe he spends a few years on TV and then comes back to the "LSU Ambassador" like UF just did with Spurrier.

Very well said.

No matter how successful (or not) the next coach is, they will have a hard time filling the shoes of Les Miles. Very successful on the field, but his character and ability to lead men will be missed the most. I could fill this entire thread with stories about things Miles did for his players, fellow men, or young kids. His heart was bigger than Tiger stadium. I don't think those things are appreciated enough in today's world.

THANK YOU Les Miles!!! Love ya, man! Best wishes going forward.... :9:

recap from Dan Patrick

- If a change at the top is needed to make the Tigers better then he's all for it.

- Appreciated Joe letting him speak to his players after the decision.

- Thinks O will do a great job. He got out of there quick.

- He thinks the job is a joy and the kids are great. It's not a hard job for someone who enjoys winning.

- He ignored the job criticism.

- Belives he could have done better.

- He wants to coach again. But it has to be the right situation.

- He would tell his successor- You're incredibly fortunate to coach the LSU Tigers. Expect the best because that's who your coaching and that's who you represent.

- Doesn't feel sorry for himself, he had a great run at LSU.

- Talked about his first game against ASU, comeback win. Incredibly happy with his time.

- Gonna try and watch UNC this weekend. Gonna root for LSU, Michigan, Cowboys and UNC this weekend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom