Les Miles is not a good football coach. (1 Viewer)

>>Eat that FSU.

Acreboy, that was not a slight on LSU. I was joking with KOS about a typo. Btw, come back and dis FSU after LSU or any other program spends 14 consecutive seasons near the top of the polls and finishes those same seasons in the Top 5. Every one of them. :17: Until that feat is matched, everyone else is a pretender. If you have a rebuttal, well, I'm all ears. :17:

TPS

Like what Les told media at press conf. day after the game, when asked about a playoff system for college. He said something a long the lines of, there should be some discussion about a college playoff system, but today is not day for it, today is to recognize the team and players that just won the chamionship. I think he is tired of the media down playing his team as the winner and trying to crown next years proposed winner as a better team already.

He's not a particularly outstanding head coach in my opinion. I'm probably putting an over-emphasis on X's and O's ability though. You have to give Les a lot of credit for the attitude he instills in his team.

:covri:

He beat no less than 5--count 'em, 5--college coaches THIS SEASON who had won national championships (Spurrier, Meyer, Saban, Fulmer, and Tressel). He's beaten 7 so far in his career (Stoops and Coker as well as those just listed). I'd say that right there puts him in the elite of college HCs today. Does he have the offensive genious of Payton? No, but he's smart enough to go out and get Gary "The Wizard" Crowton--a definite upgrade over Jimbo Fisher, Saban's choice for OC at LSU. And we saw the result of Crowton's game plan Monday night. He also knew how to pick a great DC, proof of which is not only the D's play under Pellini in the ship but also his new HC job at Nebraska. So he knows how to pick great coordinators. He obviously also knows how to prepare a team physically, mentally, and emotionally for big games, based on the fact that his team has crushed the opponent in bowl games the last 3 years in a row. He obviously knows how to recruit, as can be seen from the performance of HIS recruits (not just Saban's) on the field this year (QB Ryan Perrilloux, TE Richard Dickson, S Chad Jones, T Ciron Black, WR Demetrius Byrd, DT Joe Barksdale, etc.). He's won in double digits every year since he took the HC job at LSU, something Saban never did. And it's obvious his players love him and want to play for him. I'd say by all those measures he's a great coach. College coaching, especially head coaching, is not like playing Madden. It's not just drawing up genious plays. It's being able to motivate, to spot and attract talent, to get guys to respond to your message and focus and stay disciplined, to not waver in penalizing players when they need to be punished (like in the cases of RJF and Perriloux this year), to keep players who could jump to the NFL in the fold for their senior year (like Dorsey), to surround yourself with the right kind of coaching talent, to understand the essential place of academics in a college career, to win championships. Miles has done all those things at LSU.

He beat no less than 5--count 'em, 5--college coaches THIS SEASON who had won national championships (Spurrier, Meyer, Saban, Fulmer, and Tressel). He's beaten 7 so far in his career (Stoops and Coker as well as those just listed). I'd say that right there puts him in the elite of college HCs today. Does he have the offensive genious of Payton? No, but he's smart enough to go out and get Gary "The Wizard" Crowton--a definite upgrade over Jimbo Fisher, Saban's choice for OC at LSU. And we saw the result of Crowton's game plan Monday night. He also knew how to pick a great DC, proof of which is not only the D's play under Pellini in the ship but also his new HC job at Nebraska. So he knows how to pick great coordinators. He obviously also knows how to prepare a team physically, mentally, and emotionally for big games, based on the fact that his team has crushed the opponent in bowl games the last 3 years in a row. He obviously knows how to recruit, as can be seen from the performance of HIS recruits (not just Saban's) on the field this year (QB Ryan Perrilloux, TE Richard Dickson, S Chad Jones, T Ciron Black, WR Demetrius Byrd, DT Joe Barksdale, etc.). He's won in double digits every year since he took the HC job at LSU, something Saban never did. And it's obvious his players love him and want to play for him. I'd say by all those measures he's a great coach. College coaching, especially head coaching, is not like playing Madden. It's not just drawing up genious plays. It's being able to motivate, to spot and attract talent, to get guys to respond to your message and focus and stay disciplined, to not waver in penalizing players when they need to be punished (like in the cases of RJF and Perriloux this year), to keep players who could jump to the NFL in the fold for their senior year (like Dorsey), to surround yourself with the right kind of coaching talent, to understand the essential place of academics in a college career, to win championships. Miles has done all those things at LSU.

Can't be said much better than that... :9: :plus-un2:

You've got to be kidding me right?

/nice troll post

No I'm not. The very thing he's famous for, the Lesticles, have resulted in quite a few bonehead coaching calls going his way. Push one or two of his calls into not working out and LSU is stuck on the way outside looking in. For a similar situation, look at the Saints and SP. Last year all those crazy/aggressive calls worked and we were in the NFCCG. This year I can point to one, the Tampa call, that I firmly believe was the difference between 7-9 and the playoffs.

Call it a troll post all you want, but simply becasue you don't agree with it doesn't make it a troll post. I'm not here to stir people up, as was the purpose of the orignial post and the entire premise behind this thread.

While I agree that he is a motivator and the team loves him etc etc etc. I just think that he's a few stupid coaching calls away from being reviled instead of revered here.

Every coach calls plays that are a step/second or 2 away from not only not working, but being disasterous.

Calling a coach who has won 34 games in his first 3 years in the SEC lucky is a asinine in my opinion..

Every coach calls plays that are a step/second or 2 away from not only not working, but being disasterous.

Calling a coach who has won 34 games in his first 3 years in the SEC lucky is a asinine in my opinion..

Yes but its not the play itself is not going to work or this or that. If you have a busted play you can recover from that, but Les puts his team in spots where if the call doesn't work the team is seriously behind the 8 ball. My point, which you have made clear that you disagree with is I think his coaching as in X's and O's as well as in game decisions aren't exactly what I would call ideal.

Edit: on top of that, unlike in the NCG, Les typically has a very undiciplined team with countless stupid penalties in every game.

Last edited:
Yes but its not the play itself is not going to work or this or that. If you have a busted play you can recover from that, but Les puts his team in spots where if the call doesn't work the team is seriously behind the 8 ball. My point, which you have made clear that you disagree with is I think his coaching as in X's and O's as well as in game decisions aren't exactly what I would call ideal.

As stated above by another poster, a crucial component of being a good coach is the personnel that you surround yourself with... and he has done a great job at bringing in coaches and players that fit what he's trying to do with his system. There have been many NFL coaches, obviously including Saints coaches, that have done horrible jobs at finding personnel and coaches suited to do their jobs.

Many people have serious issues with Head coaches also calling the plays on offense or defense, while some people don't have a problem with it. In the end a coach's performance should be judged on their record as that's what matters in the end of the day. Coach Payton said when asked the question that he was a 7-9 coach this year..nothing more, nothing less. Miles is 34-6.. in the SEC not the Pac-10 or Big Ten so I think that speaks for itself.

As stated above by another poster, a crucial component of being a good coach is the personnel that you surround yourself with... and he has done a great job at bringing in coaches and players that fit what he's trying to do with his system. There have been many NFL coaches, obviously including Saints coaches, that have done horrible jobs at finding personnel and coaches suited to do their jobs.

Many people have serious issues with Head coaches also calling the plays on offense or defense, while some people don't have a problem with it. In the end a coach's performance should be judged on their record as that's what matters in the end of the day. Coach Payton said when asked the question that he was a 7-9 coach this year..nothing more, nothing less. Miles is 34-6.. in the SEC not the Pac-10 or Big Ten so I think that speaks for itself.

So he gets credit for for bringing in good assistants, which is fine but does that mean he is a good coach or his assistants are good coaches? As far as your point on the record, that is exactly the point I first made. Everyone here loves him for being 34-6 and NC and all, but some of his decisions were very silly that could have resulted in a record much further from that. Hence the 10-6 to 7-9 Saints reference. See so you get it and the point isn't as ******** as you claim. Typical football bs, you're a genius when it works and a moron when it doesn't. It simply takes an unbiased opinion to sort out the true level of smarts behind the call, because fans and haters can't.

>>Eat that FSU.

Btw, come back and dis FSU after LSU or any other program spends 14 consecutive seasons near the top of the polls and finishes those same seasons in the Top 5. Every one of them. :17: Until that feat is matched, everyone else is a pretender. If you have a rebuttal, well, I'm all ears. :17:

TPS

Meh, you're wide right, my man.

Three Championships > Two Championships

all day, every day and especially on a neutral field. :hihi:

I see what you're saying and I can agree a bit with it, but can't the same be said for every coach? If this is the approach you take then how can you truly prove if a coach is a good coach or not?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom