Les Miles' new $ 4.3 mill contract (1 Viewer)

Look at his record compared to other coaches and pass LSU coaches.

Miles would be unemployed all of about one day if he left LSU. List the coaches that LSU could reasonably get and put their record against top 25 teams up against the record Les Miles has.

Saban is no doubt best coach in college football. He is 4-3 against Miles and but for a play or two would be 3-4.

Miles is not without flaws as a coach, but the ultimate measure is winning games. The talent argument is bull. Part of the reason LSU is talented is Miles being such a great recruiter. Other SEC schools and teams like Texas and Michigan have access to great talent as well.

So who exactly is out there that has a proven record of pumping out ten win seasons in the SEC, or some comparable record elsewhere, you think LSU should hire and would reasonably come to LSU?

I am not in the business of speculating who they could have had, it just seems like a bad deal for what you get. I mean you talk about getting 10 wins in the SEC, Kevin Sumlin came in, and in his first year in your conference, and in his first year at A&M (so he didn't even have his own guys there) he went 11-2. It's not impossible.

And if you want to let him go (say Saban wants to come to LSU) before 2016 you are paying $15 mil.

I am not in the business of speculating who they could have had, it just seems like a bad deal for what you get. I mean you talk about getting 10 wins in the SEC, Kevin Sumlin came in, and in his first year in your conference, and in his first year at A&M (so he didn't even have his own guys there) he went 11-2. It's not impossible.

And if you want to let him go (say Saban wants to come to LSU) before 2016 you are paying $15 mil.

Sorry, it seemed from your post you were in the speculation business. :D

Sumlin had Heisman qb and lost to Miles on his home field so not sure how that furthers your argument.

As to the length and amount, that is what the market sets. Top coaches at top schools have ridiculously lucrative deals. Tennessee would have given Gruden a land grant to go there. Bret Bielema who got 3.2 mil for six years at Arkansas without appearing in two national championship games.

I think everyone thinks its too much to pay a coach, its what the market is for top coaches.

I interpret your not in the business remark just as another way of saying you cant think of anyone with a better record we could get at a lesser price.

Do I know who would come to LSU for $4.3mil? No. Would it be hard to find somebody qualified? Probably not. You are correct in that I won't bother speculating who would come here for $4.3 but with the things at a coaches fingertips at LSU finding somebody wouldn't be impossible.

The Sumlin comment was to put to bed that winning 10 games in the SEC is impossible as a good coach can do that. Maybe Sumlin didn't beat Miles, but Dabo did, and h isnt even making half of what Miles did. It's ludacris to think better couldn't be had, but it's not my team or my $4.3 mil so what should I care. Just food for thought.

USA TODAY

Was this a good idea to pay him this much, without making the majority of the cash incentive based?

I don't know, seems for $4.3 you could get better.
Better than winning more games and graduating more players than any coach in the best football conference in America?

With standards that high, you MUST be an LSU fan.

Miles would be unemployed all of about one day if he left LSU. List the coaches that LSU could reasonably get and put their record against top 25 teams up against the record Les Miles has.

Saban is no doubt best coach in college football. He is 4-3 against Miles and but for a play or two would be 3-4.

Miles is not without flaws as a coach, but the ultimate measure is winning games. The talent argument is bull. Part of the reason LSU is talented is Miles being such a great recruiter. Other SEC schools and teams like Texas and Michigan have access to great talent as well.

So who exactly is out there that has a proven record of pumping out ten win seasons in the SEC, or some comparable record elsewhere, you think LSU should hire and would reasonably come to LSU?
he's a great recruiter but a nut when it comes to play calling

he's a great recruiter but a nut when it comes to play calling

So who you got to replace him that would come to LSU? Let's see how their records compare.

There are better coaches then Les Miles. Saban, clearly, is one. Urban Meyer is in my opinion another.

But there aren't many. And while there is something to be said for the youthful invigoration of a new young head coach like Sumlin or Freeze, Miles has demonstrated an ability to keep LSU BCS competitive year after year. Very, very few coaches have that track record.

LSU might could get someone better (especially in the short run), but coaches are dicier propositions than most fans would like to admit. Most are terrible, many are good only in the initial burst, those with track records of big league sustained success have those track records precisely because they are at "destination" jobs (again, Saban, Meyer, etc).

Until Miles no longer consistently competes for BCS bowl bids, the odds of LSU (or anyone) doing any better are very, very small. Please keep in mind Alabama's Franchione/Price/Shula/etc years. LSU fans seem to lack perspective, they seem to feel their program is "bigger" than the man running it. That's never true, and the line between Les Miles "underachievement" and years in the wilderness like Alabama, USC (as they seem to be entering), or the worst case, Notre Dame, is mighty damn thin.

There are better coaches then Les Miles. Saban, clearly, is one. Urban Meyer is in my opinion another.

But there aren't many. And while there is something to be said for the youthful invigoration of a new young head coach like Sumlin or Freeze, Miles has demonstrated an ability to keep LSU BCS competitive year after year. Very, very few coaches have that track record.

LSU might could get someone better (especially in the short run), but coaches are dicier propositions than most fans would like to admit. Most are terrible, many are good only in the initial burst, those with track records of big league sustained success have those track records precisely because they are at "destination" jobs (again, Saban, Meyer, etc).

Until Miles no longer consistently competes for BCS bowl bids, the odds of LSU (or anyone) doing any better are very, very small. Please keep in mind Alabama's Franchione/Price/Shula/etc years. LSU fans seem to lack perspective, they seem to feel their program is "bigger" than the man running it. That's never true, and the line between Les Miles "underachievement" and years in the wilderness like Alabama, USC (as they seem to be entering), or the worst case, Notre Dame, is mighty damn thin.

Thankfully, not all of us!

USA TODAY

Was this a good idea to pay him this much, without making the majority of the cash incentive based?

I don't know, seems for $4.3 you could get better.

I don't think any coach is worth this kind of money from a morality standpoint, including nick saban.

However I can understand from a ruthless business perspective how he is "worth" this...

I also understand how an equally ruthless business perspective could find him out on his behind the moment someone better comes along or his win total collapses.

If Les Miles wants to get paid with the big boys, then no one should complain when his goose is cooked on the open Tiger Flame every time he doesn't live up to it either. You can't have it both ways.

LSU fans seem to lack perspective, they seem to feel their program is "bigger" than the man running it.

All this coming from a program that hasn't even sniffed Atlanta yet? I think ya'll were right in going with the "bears" as your mascot, cause ya'll sure ain't bulls!

When Steve Spurrier left Florida, everyone said the same thing about the Zooker. He hailed as a master recruiter. Fast forward the tape, Urban Meyer and two national championships later... whoops, dude just faked a heart attack! Oh no, what ever will Florida do!

Grab another coach in waiting from the richest school in the country and the BCS bid to go with it. They may have lost in the BCS, but Les Miles was too busy losing in the Peach Cow Bowl or whatever the heck it is these days. Mooooo!

LSU fans realize the same thing everyone else does. Les Miles is good, but he could be better. His arrogance and stubborness are holding him back and that royally ticks us off knowing that we are paying championship caliber prices, but getting his B- effort. He has consistently refused to adjust despite all of the overwhelming evidence telling him he needs to do so. Regardless of the outcome, that's not going to give you all that much fan support if you're only giving partial effort while collecting millions at our expense. He needs to get his own OC and release the reigns. The best OC that money can buy, even if Les Miles has to come out of pocket to pay for him too. DO WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN MAN! GEEZ!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom