Parody Let’s have a real (Er) music battle yo. (1 Viewer)

Great points.
I also love Alan Parsons Project. (Floyd ties)

My bio dad (musician) would go on and on and on about how talented Steely Dan was. And underrated. My dad plays all instruments and well, and he was awestruck by Steely Dan. That left quite the impression on me.
He also went on and on about the drummer for Rush. Neil Peart or something I think.

Yes, being an almost decent guitar player and musician of sorts I can attest that Steely Dan is indeed the shirt. One of the reasons their music is so diverse/varied beyond the brilliance of Fagan and Becker (RIP) is they would constantly bring different brilliant musicians in to play parts on albums or even individual songs. Larry Carlton solos on a few different songs for them, he is probably the most notable guest along with Pete Christlieb on the sax. and of course Jeff (Skunk) Baxter.

My humble thoughts are that groups that are not only great but inspire you to check out different types of music (which Steely Dan did for me, I became a jazz fan because of them).

For any musicians or folks who appreciate great musicianship, I would highly recommend the Dixie Dregs fronted by my all time favorite guitar player Steve Morse. All instrumental music, on one of their records you can hear hard rock, bluegrass, baroque, jazz, and funk. IMO in their time they were among the best musicians on earth. Morse's main gig is playing with Deep Purple (he has been their guitar player for almost 25 years now), but he still occasionally gigs with his own band (with Dave LaRue on bass who is an absolute monster) and he just did a short re-union tour with the Dregs (their first in years). The Dregs turned me onto bluegrass and funk.

Another band I would highly recommend is the Tedeschi Trucks band. Derek Trucks (nephew of Allman Bros drummer Butch Trucks (RIP) is the best slide player on the planet and just an incredible flowing type guitar player. Susan Tedeschi has an incredible voice and they have a great backing band, they produce an incredibly large, intense sound. Their genre is not easily defined but has flavors of gospel, blues, funk, soul and rock...

I will stop I could talk all day about music.

Yes, being an almost decent guitar player and musician of sorts I can attest that Steely Dan is indeed the shirt. One of the reasons their music is so diverse/varied beyond the brilliance of Fagan and Becker (RIP) is they would constantly bring different brilliant musicians in to play parts on albums or even individual songs. Larry Carlton solos on a few different songs for them, he is probably the most notable guest along with Pete Christlieb on the sax. and of course Jeff (Skunk) Baxter.

My humble thoughts are that groups that are not only great but inspire you to check out different types of music (which Steely Dan did for me, I became a jazz fan because of them).

For any musicians or folks who appreciate great musicianship, I would highly recommend the Dixie Dregs fronted by my all time favorite guitar player Steve Morse. All instrumental music, on one of their records you can hear hard rock, bluegrass, baroque, jazz, and funk. IMO in their time they were among the best musicians on earth. Morse's main gig is playing with Deep Purple (he has been their guitar player for almost 25 years now), but he still occasionally gigs with his own band (with Dave LaRue on bass who is an absolute monster) and he just did a short re-union tour with the Dregs (their first in years). The Dregs turned me onto bluegrass and funk.

Another band I would highly recommend is the Tedeschi Trucks band. Derek Trucks (nephew of Allman Bros drummer Butch Trucks (RIP) is the best slide player on the planet and just an incredible flowing type guitar player. Susan Tedeschi has an incredible voice and they have a great backing band, they produce an incredibly large, intense sound. Their genre is not easily defined but has flavors of gospel, blues, funk, soul and rock...

I will stop I could talk all day about music.

Fantastic post and I felt like I was listening to my father speak to me. Literally.
Almost word for word there.

Tom Waits- both as lyricist and composer

Love Tom Waits no argument from me he is absolutely brilliant...I think we select our favorite songwriters because we love the music (obviously) but their music resonates with our personal life experiences...

Perhaps.
My favorite female songwriter is Carole King. Tapestry is one of my all time faves.

Love Carol King ...she is in my top 3...Joni Mitchell is my favorite

Oh Joni is up there for me as well sir. For sure.
I love music so much.

And I couldn’t agree more with your point.

Love Tom Waits no argument from me he is absolutely brilliant...I think we select our favorite songwriters because we love the music (obviously) but their music resonates with our personal life experiences...
By and large that’s probably the case
But I will say that Tom Waits first hooked me with his stories, then his music grew on me
Also Leonard Cohen - sometimes I like his songs in spite of the music

Great points.
I also love Alan Parsons Project. (Floyd ties)

My bio dad (musician) would go on and on and on about how talented Steely Dan was. And underrated. My dad plays all instruments and well, and he was awestruck by Steely Dan. That left quite the impression on me.
He also went on and on about the drummer for Rush. Neil Peart or something I think.
Neil Peart is god and spawned almost every drummer under 50 playing rock today

Neil Peart is god and spawned almost every drummer under 50 playing rock today

My bio dad agrees. And I’ll say this, my dad was/is a drumming prodigy himself. That’s a story that requires too much of my eyes and just isn’t worth it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom