Let’s talk about Jameis (w/ Rev Deuce film study) (1 Viewer)

Running for those 3 first Downs was huge.

If we can mix that kind of element in his game then he'll be even more dangerous than we thought when considering his ceiling.
When Jameis scrambled to his right then cut it back to the middle of the field, TJJ was blocking a defender and...

Jameis lowers his RIGHT shoulder and plows into the defender!

I grimaced when I saw that!

1 - No need to hit any defender - slide!

2- Don't use your throwing shoulder to hit some one!

3- Why didn't he cut it "off the butt" of TJJ??? He would have gained more yardage. (Although I would prefer he go into a slide at that point.)

Picky, aren't I?

He was under pressure when he threw the jump ball to Juwan, but he had no immediate pressure on him on the throws to Hogan in the middle and Juwan in the corner. There wasn't a lot of reading going on. He just came off of the covered player to look for another player. Also, except for the last TD to Harris, they were easy passes that any QB would've made. He wasn't asked to be a great or even a very good QB in this game. I think the best thing he did in this game is not try to force balls, except for the overturned interception. If our defense continues to dominate, then he won't have to do any more than that in the future, but I'm pretty sure that there will be games in which our defense won't be as dominant, and he will be asked to do more than manage the game. When he does that successfully, then I'll know he is the real deal future of the team.
Just don’t agree at all. He had to break contain to buy time and throw on the move to Hogan. Yes, the throw to Johnson was wide open. But plenty of plays werent and he had to read the field and either throw to his 2nd or third read, throw it away or take off and run.

From 2013...

From 2013 until Jeff Ireland got here our drafts and FA strategy really sucked...because SP is not really that good at player personnel...

I love the improved mechanics and decision-making. Those are the kinds of things that will generate more long-term success. Anybody can have a good game, but if it comes from improved mechanics and improved decision-making, it’s truly something to be optimistic about.

Nice job from Deuce.

Same here, I paid really close attention to Jamies and his footwork in the pocket....it was great....I think Jamies may have that 30+ passing game as soon as this Sunday because I believe the Panthers are going to load up the box after watching the game film....we will see...

The first TD pass to JJ wasn't thrown up for grabs, it was a well-placed throw (under pressure) where you'd expect your 6'4" converted receiver to be able to go up and get it.

I've mentioned this before, it seems pretty obvious to me that Jamies has been working with JJ on high point throws/catches....

His two worst throws of the day were completions: the second TD to Johnson and the 3rd and 2 to Kamara.

Yes, he “managed the game,” but that’s what all great QBs do until a play needs to be made. And when it needed to be made, he made it.

Nah - he just wanted to see "just how good is this Kamara guy..."

:hihi:

Last edited:
I know you're being a facetious fanatic, but Winston didn't destroy the packers. Winston had one spectacular throw, and then the rest were very easy passes, plus he would've had an interception, if the dubious roughing call had not been made. He had 4 TDs that were less than 5 yard throws. Hogan and Juwan didn't have anyone within 5 yards of them on passes inside the 5 yard line, the 1/2 yard shuttle pass to Kamara, and Juwan made a great leaping catch on another TD pass inside the 5 yard line. The spectacular TD throw required arm strength and accuracy, so that's very promising, but it was wide open, since the defense didn't expect us to throw bombs when we were up 31 to 3. The reality is that the defense destroyed the packers, and the offense took advantage of their opportunities. Winston didn't have to do much other than hand the ball off and make easy throws almost all game. Any NFL QB would've had the same result up to the point it was 31 to 3. He was a game manager in this game. Nevertheless, I like what I saw in this game and in the preseason, and my inner fanatic is excited to see the progress he's made, but my rationale side knows it's premature to make any conclusions.
He was given full field reads all game, and he often made 3+ reads before checking down. Not sure what else you want to see. There was nothing easy or dumbed down about the playcalling.

That's exactly what I said.

Even more encouraging was the way he was being a mature leader on the sideline late in the 4th. Going up to each player, shaking hands and recognizing the as individuals. That is what Drew would do, not Jameis. In past years in that situation he would be standing on the bench, beating his chest, talking crap to fans or on the edge of the field screaming at the other team. That is where I see the big change and it was incredibly encouraging. Talent has never been an issue, maturity and decision making has (on and off the field).

Like I said in my original post though. Being a great QB takes a whole bunch of baby steps over years. He took the first couple baby steps in this game. He still has a ton to prove and will have to overcome adversity on the field. He will have to win some games with his arm. He will have to raise his level of play when the team is struggling.

It's like this huge check list, week 1 checked one box. We didn't know what we had with Brees for a few seasons. We won't know Winston's path for a few seasons. We will have a much better idea after a half season.

I want to see how Jameis reacts when the bullets are flying, when everything isn't going right, after he makes a bone headed mistake and the way he comes back from it. That is where he has a history of problems.

We won't know those questions for some time. I'm not discounting what he did. I'm discounting the reactions of the fans.

I wouldnt have even drafted Winston because of his maturity and poor decision making. If he can turn that around it will be Payton's greatest coaching accomplishment and will be Jameis biggest life accomplishment. Everything else will fall in place. For over a year now he has done everything he could. For over a year now he has been sheltered from the spotlight to allow that to happen with some of the best guidance the planet has to offer. I doubted him but now I'm excited. He still has so much to prove and the road will still be a long one. There is no doubt he has come a very long way in a short time and I'm really excited for him as a person and want to watch this journey continue. I'm a huge fan of anyone that can recognize their own behavior and be willing to make the changes needed. It's harder than the game.
You make it sound like he is being molded from scratch, or right out of college. Sean brought Jameis in because he is a 5k passer, who just sent 2 WR to the pro bowl, with 1000 plus yards each. Get off this....baby step nonsense. Is Sean changing his game, and approach, hell yeah, but it's like you see him as a someone that needs total rebuilding. Quite the opposite.

He is tweaking his mechanics a little, and learning a new system....but that's still an NFL 1st draft pick, who won a National title...that has been mostly successful under center is.....while tweaking a few things.

Just need to change the narrative of him being an NFL Invalid QB that needs....blah, blag, blag

His worst season INT wise was with Arians, one year. He never came close to that before. If you check his stats, Brady on pace for 30 interceptions also....until he took over the offense. Jameis didnt have enough years, nor clout to tell Arians to gth. Anyway...carry on...but no need to talk like he is a piece of putty Sean molding from Scratch. This guy came with game, Sean just focusing it.
I gotta agree with Shizz, here (yeah Shizz, that was painful to say ;)) . I can get behind the whole "pump the brakes, it was only one game" caution tale, but you aren't giving Winston enough personal credit and too much to Payton. This is not a baby step process for Winston/Payton. He doesn't need to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch. This is a very physically talented, intelligent QB Payton gets to work with. Payton is not getting the same brash, juvenile diva that Tampa draft several years ago. He gets to work with the regretful, humbled, more mature eager-to-right-the-ship Winston. Winston admittedly took a $1M salary to go to "QB college" and learn from Payton/Brees. He's personally worked very hard to right his image and attitude. He's always tried to be a leader, but it just doesn't come naturally for him but he gets better with age. Saying that, he's always had the respect from his team mates in spite of his occasional awkward moments. He's putting in the work on his own initiative and is hungry to learn from one of the best. And they'll complement each other well.

As for the questions about how Winston will respond in tighter situations, he's been there many times. He beat the Saints (a playoff bound team) 90+ yard drive with less than two minutes in the final game of a season - with the Dirk Koetter coached Bucs team.

In a few years we may be having the same ridiculous arguments about who-made-who like we're starting to hear about Payton and Brees now that he's retired.

Last edited:
5years ago Brandin was P'Oed off because he didn't get a target when Thomas got all the Targets. Why are you soooooooo hung up on a disgruntled receivers opinion. One that can't break a tackle to save his life?

Those crap receivers were wide open. One of those TD passes to that TE you are slamming was thrown up for grabs, he went up and got it.

that was the best non preseason TD catch for the saints in a long time.

we've certainly seen that TD for the saints recently. I mean the one that is so high only one guy can go get it. The ball was pretty much at the Cross bar.

we've certainly seen that TD for the saints recently. I mean the one that is so high only one guy can go get it. The ball was pretty much at the Cross bar.
Jameis knows how to gauge tall WRs and TEs bro (Have you seen Evans???)....he put the ball where only his 6 foot 4 + guy can get it or its uncatchable. To me....that's was one of his best throws. Reminds me of Brees throwing to the damn clouds so 6 foot 7 azz Jimmy would get it or it's too high for anyone to catch.

When we are complaining about Jameis smartest throws....think that has less to do with Jameis and more to do with other stuff.

Last edited:
Yet no one mentions that anymore but Jameis cannot escape his past with some people. I'm in he made some mistakes as a young guy camp and we can move on but if you wish to continue to hold that against him it's on you.
He can escape his path. Keep doing what he is doing. I want him to be the best QB in history. He still has a lot to overcome. I doubted him. I still have some doubts. Hopefully he erases every one of them.

He was accused of some pretty awful stuff from multiple people. It is part of what led to his departure from Tampa.

I have no problem with him dancing in the locker room, talking trash and having fun. I do have a problem if it is all he is doing. I thought Bridgewater was the perfect example of how to have fun and express himself while maintaining a level of professionalism and not making it all about him.

I'm also not discounting Jameis and giving all the credit to Payton. Winston had to make the decision. It was almost like an alcoholic admitting there is a problem. It's the first step. I literally said making changes to better himself as a person would be the biggest achievement of his life.

I've mentioned several times that Jameis has never had a talent issue.

Even Jameis has mentioned multiple times how much being around Drew and Payton has allowed him to grow in every aspect.

It probably didn't help that I listened to Simone and Mccalah's testimony this morning before posting.

Having a QB on my favorite team that benefited from systemic abuse that I oppose is challenging. However, I also believe in second chances. So I admit, I'm looking at this from many different perspectives and not just a fan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom