Let’s talk about Jameis (w/ Rev Deuce film study) (1 Viewer)

When we are complaining about Jameis smartest throws....think that has less to do with Jameis and more to do with other stuff.
Who complaining?

If we are going to complain it has to be the low throw under pressure into triple coverage.

He can escape his path. Keep doing what he is doing. I want him to be the best QB in history. He still has a lot to overcome. I doubted him. I still have some doubts. Hopefully he erases every one of them.

He was accused of some pretty awful stuff from multiple people. It is part of what led to his departure from Tampa.

I have no problem with him dancing in the locker room, talking trash and having fun. I do have a problem if it is all he is doing. I thought Bridgewater was the perfect example of how to have fun and express himself while maintaining a level of professionalism and not making it all about him.

I'm also not discounting Jameis and giving all the credit to Payton. Winston had to make the decision. It was almost like an alcoholic admitting there is a problem. It's the first step. I literally said making changes to better himself as a person would be the biggest achievement of his life.

I've mentioned several times that Jameis has never had a talent issue.

Even Jameis has mentioned multiple times how much being around Drew and Payton has allowed him to grow in every aspect.

It probably didn't help that I listened to Simone and Mccalah's testimony this morning before posting.

Having a QB on my favorite team that benefited from systemic abuse that I oppose is challenging. However, I also believe in second chances. So I admit, I'm looking at this from many different perspectives and not just a fan.
But, if you equate "Shucking and Jiving" with "A bad guy" or "Someone who is bound to rape, pillage and steal" then sir, I have to direct you back to the early 20th Century, so you can give them back their misinformation.

I dont want to get seriously deep into this, but many guys you probably think are "Good" ...have done worse. They just had lineage, legacy, money and family that can make things go away, without any public knowing about it.

He was given full field reads all game, and he often made 3+ reads before checking down. Not sure what else you want to see. There was nothing easy or dumbed down about the playcalling.
I never suggested that there was anything dumbed down about the play calling. All I said was that he wasn't having to read the defense to make his TD throws, with exception of the throw to Harris. The others were short throws, and the WRs were wide open. Even on the jump ball to Juwan, he was wide open for a couple of seconds before Winston threw him the ball. It could've been a much easier TD if he had thrown it earlier. I give Winston credit for see the open receivers, and for going through the progressions, but it didn't take great throws, nor reading defenses to find the open man in most of his TDs. Winston managed the game situation well, and made some smart decisions with the ball, but I don't think he had a great game. I think the defense had a great game, and he helped the offense take advantage of that. I think he had a good game, yet he made numerous bad throws, and the receivers saved him on a couple of those, plus we got lucky on the interception. I think he's capable of great games with fewer bad throws and no luck needed to avoid interceptions, but that's not what was on display in this game.

Jameis knows how to gauge tall WRs and TEs bro (Have you seen Evans???)....he put the ball where only his 6 foot 4 + guy can get it or its uncatchable. To me....that's was one of his best throws. Reminds me of Brees throwing to the damn clouds so 6 foot 7 azz Jimmy would get it or it's too high for anyone to catch.

When we are complaining about Jameis smartest throws....think that has less to do with Jameis and more to do with other stuff.

Yep, I keep repeating it but it appears rather obvious that Jamies and JJ have put in a lot of time practicing high point throws/catches, I thought it was his best completed pass of the game TBH....

I gotta agree with Shizz, here (yeah Shizz, that was painful to say ;)) . I can get behind the whole "pump the brakes, it was only one game" caution tale, but you aren't giving Winston enough personal credit and too much to Payton. This is not a baby step process for Winston/Payton. He doesn't need to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch. This is a very physically talented, intelligent QB Payton gets to work with. Payton is not getting the same brash, juvenile diva that Tampa draft several years ago. He gets to work with the regretful, humbled, more mature eager-to-right-the-ship Winston. Winston admittedly took a $1M salary to go to "QB college" and learn from Payton/Brees. He's personally worked very hard to right his image and attitude. He's always tried to be a leader, but it just doesn't come naturally for him but he gets better with age. Saying that, he's always had the respect from his team mates in spite of his occasional awkward moments. He's putting in the work on his own initiative and is hungry to learn from one of the best. And they'll complement each other well.

As for the questions about how Winston will respond in tighter situations, he's been there many times. He beat the Saints (a playoff bound team) in the final game of a season - with the Dirk Koetter coached Bucs team.

In a few years we may be having the same ridiculous arguments about who-made-who like we're starting to hear about Payton and Brees now that he's retired.
This is what I've been saying from the pickup. Everybody is treating Jameis as a Brees/Payton project but fact is, he can get nuggets from Drew and coached up better by Coach Payton but he isn't a reclamation project like people are trying to make it. We have seen Sam Darnold start for 3 years and has sucked for each of those years, but he slides into a starting role and no one bats an eye. There has never been a case where someone has put up numbers like Jameis and been called a bust but even with his interceptions, we got someone who threw for 5k yards and 33 TDs. Has he been humbled, yes, but he also gambled on going to a stable organization and well coached team. If he stays here, I'm willing to bet the house that statically, he will a top 5 QB year in/year out.

I thought his second catch was better. Sure there's nobody else in that half of the end zone...but he laid out...full extension. A lot of people don't make that catch.

I looked at that play again, and it was a poor throw, and a great adjustment by Juwan. I previously thought Juwan was also partially at fault, but Winston threw it over the wrong shoulder, so Juwan had to twist around and then use all of his wingspan to catch it. You're right that many people wouldn't have made that catch. The more I watch Juwan, the more he is impressing me.

I looked at that play again, and it was a poor throw, and a great adjustment by Juwan. I previously thought Juwan was also partially at fault, but Winston threw it over the wrong shoulder, so Juwan had to twist around and then use all of his wingspan to catch it. You're right that many people wouldn't have made that catch. The more I watch Juwan, the more he is impressing me.
See, to me, I think Winston has to make that outside shoulder pass. If that rub doesn't work at the LOS, the defender has a chance to make a play in coverage if it's thrown inside. That was a good anticipation pass as Winston is in his throwing motion before that final defender is fully screened out of the play.

Don't worry we got one guy doing everything he can to sheet on Brees in a not so thinly veiled manner. Talking about the deep ball, completely ignoring the accuracy Brees had on putting the ball exactly where the receiver needs it. I like Jameis. But let's pump the brakes on the pooping on Brees, proclaiming the deep ball will save us.

When Jameis scrambled to his right then cut it back to the middle of the field, TJJ was blocking a defender and...

Jameis lowers his RIGHT shoulder and plows into the defender!

I grimaced when I saw that!

1 - No need to hit any defender - slide!

2- Don't use your throwing shoulder to hit some one!

3- Why didn't he cut it "off the butt" of TJJ??? He would have gained more yardage. (Although I would prefer he go into a slide at that point.)

Picky, aren't I?
He's been practicing all season in the gauntlet... Let him throw a shoulder lol

I thought his second catch was better. Sure there's nobody else in that half of the end zone...but he laid out...full extension. A lot of people don't make that catch.

Man... That's is such a picture perfect play.

Great pick.
Great read.
Winston didn't sleep on Green Bay on switching on the pick. So, Winston high point the throw and settled for a FG if it misses
Amazing catch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom