Let’s Talk About the Early 80s (2 Viewers)

I was in elementary school around that time, but one notable thing I remember was that when they truly integrated the schools in Baton Rouge. In Kindergarten and first grade there was at least one but probably fewer than five black kids in the entire school, and then in second grade that changed drastically. That was the 1981-1982 school year. When I tell my kids that schools were still pretty much segregated until then they're stunned.

During the mid-80s, I had an awakening of sorts when I realized that my younger sister's annoying friends weren't so annoying anymore... and she had LOTS of friends.

Note: Sis was < 2yrs younger....
My sister is three years younger than me and the same thing happened! Came home from college one summer, and :mwink:

Last edited:
I don’t know if you noticed, but they’re back. We went to an LSU game last season and I noticed all the sorority girls wearing them. Even worse, they’re ridiculously high, worse than the 80’s...
Yeah, my wife complains about women's jeans. For a while it was that they they were only selling hip hugger jeans with the low waistband that gave women muffin tops. Now it's swung in the other extreme.

We all probably tripped over one another.

Ohhh yes, the Rt 1 divefest...The 'Vous, The Cellar, and the Backroom. Happy hour started at 1pm Friday and went 'til...Sunday. Everyone bought the $1.25 pitchers (these were the big 72 ouncers, not the wussified 48's you see now) and walked around drinking straight from the pitchers--no cups. When you left the Vous and staggered back to campus, there was an alcove in between the buildings where you went to...let's just say it was referred to as the vomitorium, and had a smell I didn't experience again until Bourbon Street.

Then there were the campus parties where they pulled the beer trucks right between the dorms (LaPlata Beach) and you tapped off the sides. Three 12oz cups for a dollar.

Given the above scenarios, what could possibly go wrong? :hihi:

Ask your son if he's a turtle. The correct response is "You bet your sweet *** I'm a turtle"

You just brought back good memories of the very early 90s in Austin.

Best deal in town was everclear margarita pitchers. I think regular was 3.99 and an extra dollar would get you a big shot glass of everclear dropped in. And, yes, we walked around drinking out of the big 64 oz glass pitchers. I still have one or two today. I bet they lost a ton on those pitchers.

good times.

Last edited:
My sister is three years younger than me and the same thing happened! :mwink:

Mine was 2 years older and her friends loved to spend the night.

It was a great time to come home after a long night of debauchery to a couple of my sister's friends at my door.

Yeah, my wife complains about women's jeans. For a while it was that they they were only selling hip hugger jeans with the low waistband that gave women muffin tops. Now it's swung in the other extreme.

Not all of them have the muffin shape. (y)

Mine was 2 years older and her friends loved to spend the night.

It was a great time to come home after a long night of debauchery to a couple of my sister's friends at my door.
Older like in your case or younger in the case of Swamprat and I, it was really weird how literally overnight they all at once became so intriguing. :hihi:

You just brought back good memories of the very early 90s in Austin.

Best deal in town was everclear margarita pitchers. I think regular was 3.99 and an extra dollar would get you a big shot glass of everclear dropped in. And, yes, we walked around drinking out of the big 64 oz glass pitchers. I still have one or two today. I bet they lost a ton on those pitchers.

good times.
One of the bars in town had Bucket Night. You paid your two or three dollars and got your beer in a half-gallon bucket. Refills were one dollar :beerchug:

Are you kidding me ? Tons of great music culture.from 80 to 82

Personal computing started to take off
Miracle on Ice - February 1980

Rock music
Van Halen some great albums - Women and Children First, Fair Warning, Diver Down
AC DC - Back in Black
Ozzy Osborn - Crazy Train
Rush Moving Pictures

from the Pop / Hip hop front
Michael Jackson - Thriller was 1982
Juice Newton
Pat Benatar
The Pretenders
Dexys Midnight Rinners
Kool and the Gang
Yes, early '80s but by the time we were full into "New Wave" in the mid '80s .........

Mount St Helens--watch a time-lapse of that event and understand the power of Nature
Man, I've been bingeing u tube videos and delved into Mount St. Helens. People, as a whole, really haven't changed much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom