Let get two first rounders...The Browns did it; they did better than us. (1 Viewer)

PaulinP

Very Banned
Reaction score
Last year the Cleveland Browns, yes the Browns, had a great draft. Joe Thomas early in the first, then they traded a few picks for Brady Quinn. I'm not praising Quinn, I think he'll suck.
I'm saying that if both DTs are taken, which it looks like is shaping up to happen, we need to draft the best corner available. I hope that CB is DRC; give him 2 seasons without major injury and he will be top 5 best in the league; a turnover machine.
Which brings me to my main point. Why not trade for a later 1st round pick. I dont think Rivers will get much interest from teams until about pick 16 by the Cardinals. We could possibly give next years 2nd and this years 5th and 3rd. I think that would be sufficent. And in round 2 we should get DT Trevor Laws.
I think with those three in our first two rounds, our defense is set for years. And if Ellis or Dorsey are available at pick 10 and the FO would rather them instead of DRC; they are the pros. But I still think a trade to get us a later pick in the 1st would be smart. Maybe for a CB and worry about LB in round 2. I don't know who will be available or up for a trade but if it could get done it would be good for years.

i mean their first pick was amazing Joe Thomas was a pro bowler in his first year. Quinn i think will be a bust. So itz hard to say but i would be up to it

So you think we should give up our first round pick next year and our 2nd round pick this year to move up about 14 spots in the draft?

We got Meacham, of course they did better than us. Meacham was the only 1st round draft choice not to play a single down.

We'll practically have 2 first rounders this year without giving up anything. Just pretend Meachem was a 1st round pick this year (since he didn't play last year) and then we get our pick at 10. And we don't have to give up anything.

Trading down is the best option for the Saints. The only problem with it is finding a dance partner. Unless McFadden falls to #10, I don't know who that partner would be. Tempting "Jittery Jerry" would be easy if that's how it shakes out, but otherwise I don't see who is going to take the bait.

Frankly, because he has a history of doing so, I think Weird Al is going to convince Jones that his only shot for McFadden is to trade with him to the #4 spot. It would be a smart move by Weird Al and with his history of trading in the first round, I somewhat expect to see it happen. Truth be told, it's also the only way I see for Dorsey or Ellis to be around at #8 for us to make the attempt to trade up with the Ravens. If Weird Al doesn't trade out, I feel pretty certain they will pick whichever one Mylanta didn't pick at #3 (and with them basically having no DTs on their roster now, it's about 99% certain they will take one of them).

So to be "gloom and doom" for a moment and face the eventuality that everything falls bad for us, meaning Dorsey and Ellis go at #3 and #4,and McFadden is taken before #10, who exactly is going to trade up into our spot? Who could they be after that they would feel is worth the price to move up the ladder? The only possibility is Clady and I don't know that there is a team out there SO hungry for an OT that they're going to make that move. That means we're "stuck" and have to either take Clady, a player we don't hugely need, or "reach" and take DRC, Rivers, or another WLB or CB who could be had later. It's not a pretty scenario really.
Personally if it ends up that way, I'd most like us to take DRC because I think we can get a quality WLB even as low as round 3. As for our DT need, all we can do is hope Balmer or Laws is still around come pick #40 in round 2.

I think we just need to stay where we are. We'll have a shot to take either the top LB, potentially one of the top 2 DTs (though not likely), or a top flight corner and it won't cost us anything. Trading back would be both risky and unlikely because if we trade back too far, we may miss out on all of those guys and it's unlikely that anyone will want to jump up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom