Let the media frenzy over NYG NO begin (1 Viewer)

Matthew Stafford, Kevin Kolb, Trent Edwards and Mark Sanchez all have pretty poor passer ratings with out the blitz. Just sayin.
For Kolb, Stafford and Sanchez, check out the passer ratings minus their games against the Saints, not shabby.

Galbreath34 said:
Matthew Stafford, Kevin Kolb, Trent Edwards and Mark Sanchez all have pretty poor passer ratings with out the blitz. Just sayin.
For Kolb, Stafford and Sanchez, check out the passer ratings minus their games against the Saints, not shabby.

Then compare it to Peyton's little brothers career rating...

Actually, thinking of "big" games of the Payton era I can only think of 4 regular season games that come close to this week's game for hype and importand, and 3 were 3 years ago in 2006.

Atlanta in the Domecoming. We were only 2-0, and let's face it no one was picking us to maintain what we did against Cleveland and GB. Huge for the fact of the return, and after the fact huge in propelling our team to the next level, but not really as big in football terms before the fact.

Philadelphia in Week 6 2006. This was built up as the key "are they for real game" and we delivered by eating up a half of the fourth quarter to go ahead at the end. To me, this is the biggest regular season win of the Payton era.

Dallas in Prime Time in Week 14. The rest of the world doesn't know that we've owned Dallas since Aikman retired, so to them this was a real test of the protege Sean Payton versus the mentor Bill Parcells. It certainly iced our status in 2006 and gave us the edge for a bye that let us get past a let down game against Gregg Williams D and the skins. Humiliating the Giants in their house was really an afterthought. To me it wasn't as important as Philly or Atlanta, but it is to outsiders.

Colts in the Thursday Kickoff game. This was to pit the newly hot and favorite Saints versus the defending champs. We all know how that worked out. It sealed our opinions of Jason David and kicked off a terrible slump. Had we won, I'm not certain it would pass the 2006 games any way.

So in defining moment games under Payton we've done well 3 out of 4 times. I'm hoping Sunday adds to that legacy. That, a minimum of a split with Atlanta and wins over the Patriots and Dallas this year would seal us as a sexy pick to do well in the playoffs and regardless of results there will make us a sure fire favorite going into 2010.

We have 6 chances to "prove it" to the world with our schedule. We're 1-0 after beating the Jets. Let's all pull for 2-0 in 4 days.

Then compare it to Peyton's little brothers career rating...
78.1?

He's off to a good start, but he's 78.1 for his career. Not quite up there with Aaron Brooks (79.7 with us), but respectable.

How about his rating against our porous 2006 D with Plaxico and Tiki Barber still around?

9 for 25 for 74 yards 1 TD 1 INT 2 Sacks for 15 yards 41.3.

:idunno: I guess I should be impressed/scared.

I like the team quality, but Eli has only had one season (last year) above 77. He can play, has guts and manages the game, but passer rating is not something to bring up to defend him.

I'm not the one boasting on QB passer rating vs the blitz. :ezbill:
I was just sayin....thats all:idunno:

Talk to ESPN's Sal Palantoninitoniouo....he quoted it and seemed impressed, and he's nestled in at Gmen headquarters.

Actually, thinking of "big" games of the Payton era I can only think of 4 regular season games that come close to this week's game for hype and importand, and 3 were 3 years ago in 2006.

Atlanta in the Domecoming. We were only 2-0, and let's face it no one was picking us to maintain what we did against Cleveland and GB. Huge for the fact of the return, and after the fact huge in propelling our team to the next level, but not really as big in football terms before the fact.

Philadelphia in Week 6 2006. This was built up as the key "are they for real game" and we delivered by eating up a half of the fourth quarter to go ahead at the end. To me, this is the biggest regular season win of the Payton era.

Dallas in Prime Time in Week 14. The rest of the world doesn't know that we've owned Dallas since Aikman retired, so to them this was a real test of the protege Sean Payton versus the mentor Bill Parcells. It certainly iced our status in 2006 and gave us the edge for a bye that let us get past a let down game against Gregg Williams D and the skins. Humiliating the Giants in their house was really an afterthought. To me it wasn't as important as Philly or Atlanta, but it is to outsiders.

Colts in the Thursday Kickoff game. This was to pit the newly hot and favorite Saints versus the defending champs. We all know how that worked out. It sealed our opinions of Jason David and kicked off a terrible slump. Had we won, I'm not certain it would pass the 2006 games any way.

So in defining moment games under Payton we've done well 3 out of 4 times. I'm hoping Sunday adds to that legacy. That, a minimum of a split with Atlanta and wins over the Patriots and Dallas this year would seal us as a sexy pick to do well in the playoffs and regardless of results there will make us a sure fire favorite going into 2010.

We have 6 chances to "prove it" to the world with our schedule. We're 1-0 after beating the Jets. Let's all pull for 2-0 in 4 days.

I wouldn't worry about it. Writers will always hype up the game they're currently covering and that's just the way it is. That being said I feel like it is a pretty big game. The country will be watching and the Giants are the best team we'll see this year.

I do think it's one of those season defining games, particularly if it goes two scores or more either way. I won't lose any sleep over a loss, but a win sure would pump the Kool Aid level up. Back at the start of the season I set this game at -0% for losing and +20% for winning in my Kool Aid Percentage Theory thread, and I stick by that now.

Article said:
He needs to win some games that matter. No game has mattered more for the Saints in the past few years than this one.

I am sorry but he lost credibility in my book with this statement. How can this game have more meaning than ANY playoff game the Saints have played? The 2 playoff games in 06 BOTH had more meaning than this one, IMHO.

It gave me pause as well, but I figure "the past few years" could conceivably mean the last 2 seasons, at which case it would be a fair statement.

I hope all those people spouting off Katrina stuff on the ESPN message boards don't come to the game making these comments out loud, b/c they will get absolutely beat-down outside the Superdome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom