Lets be Real, Does Last Season Give Us Added Fuel? (1 Viewer)

Will we use last years non call as fuel?

• Total voters

CowtownSaint

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Here is the deal,. I am very curious to see our response on the poll.

In interviews this season so far, Payton has said that the events of last year have absolutely no bearing on this season. As a HC of my Community Team, I understand the response. But as a fan, and more importantly as a player, you have to think that the way last year ended has given you more incentive to work harder. More drive to succeed. So my question is simple, do you believe that the way last season ended, will that give us extrafuel to kick arse this year?! or will we approach it like just another season?

Gosh I hope they moved on from it. Thinking back instead of thinking forward almost always lead to failure and disappointment. New players, different teams, different scene, the rest of the league isn't going to care about last season or what happened to us. We got to continue to improve on areas we need to improve and the rest will take care of itself. The "revenge" factor in 2012 didn't work all that well for us. Personally I am over it. It is still bitter. But seeing how each teams in the league improved concern me more than thinking about what had happend last season.

I think it might motivate the coaches more and some of the veterans, they all know they were robbed of a Super Bowl. I also think that the Saints are flat out LOADED this year and have the best top to bottom roster in their history and the deepest team in the league. If they can avoid injury to their top 5-7 players and avoid multiple injuries at one position, they should be in position to win it all this year. It might come down to a big play, or a "correct" call, but they should be in position to get to that point again.

I felt RAGE for the first couple of months after the crime, I was ready to give up on the league. I still feel the rage, but I love the Saints, so I am still here.

I really don’t see how being on the verge of making it to your second Super Bowl and having it ripped away by something completely beyond your control would be the least bit “motivating”. If anything it would cement the thought that unless you are one of Goodell’s “chosen” teams (big market, nationally popular, or a team looking to build fans - Rams) the league isn’t going to let you win. So completely demotivating instead.

They may downplay it to the media and/or give some PC response when pressed w/that question. But I'm 100% certain that in our building, Payton and company are plotting some Kill Bill-esque style revenge scenario that leads us back to the Super Bowl, where that villain Goodell will be forced to crown us champions. It's the 10 year anniversary of our SB win, the game's in Miami, we have a former Jet at LB...It would be perfect!

It took my fuel. Between 2011, 2017, and 2018, perhaps three of the most unlikely exists in NFL History, I have been sapped of my ability to feel good about this teams chances to win the SB.

Ill keep waiting for the other foot to fall, asking what is the next astronomically unlucky and unlikely situation the Saints will find themselves in?

It took my fuel. Between 2011, 2017, and 2018, perhaps three of the most unlikely exists in NFL History, I have been sapped of my ability to feel good about this teams chances to win the SB.

Ill keep waiting for the other foot to fall, asking what is the next astronomically unlucky and unlikely situation the Saints will find themselves in?
This was almost my entire existence as a Saints fan. Which is why the Minny Miracle didn't surprise me at all. If there was a probability-busting play to be on the wrong side of, we would find a way. Even when we were up, I literally told someone, this isn't how this works, we will find a way to blow it. Its what we do. 2009 was so incredibly freaking awesome, it was in many ways the exact opposite of EVERYTHING that has ever happened to us. Think about the odd ball bounces, bad calls, no calls, some of the oddest and most obscure calls only made once in 25 years, freak events, missed kicks etc. that have happened to us over the years...

If we win it all again, I will be utterly elated, just like before but I will be shocked. I know this sounds crazy but sometimes it feels like there is a football god and his only job is to troll Saints fans. Now the Falcons losing a 25-pt lead is the biggest troll move ever, but we have had an aggregate of trolling that is frustrating.

Personally I have to believe that we are going to have the last couple of seasons in the back of our heads when we play, I think we really will be out there playing and executing with a lot of purpose. This has to be our Year, I cant see it continuing beyond this and the players have got to know that too, with last year in mind I expect alot of urgency in their play

As a member of the Human League I feel safe is saying this; the way we ended the season last year could be used to focus efforts this year. I haven’t forgotten. The players haven’t forgotten. And Coach hasn't forgottten either.

“Revenge” is a dirty fuel for your machine. Proving the league wrong in their effort to lift one team over another by winning it all this year is not only possible but likely and the small amount of *extra* effort & focus may be the difference. Coach Payton is a smooth operator.

Last edited:
We're coming.. and we're coming with everything we've got! If we finally win a season opener and star 1-0 then the NFL better watch out. We are due a week 1 victory and what better way than to start at home on MNF!

To me, it wasn't just last year that makes our team feel even more urgency to get the job done this year. The last two years should have been Super Bowl Years for us.

As fans we are allowed to be bitter and angry over and because of what happened the last two seasons but if the team goes into the season with the motivation of last season on their minds then they are in trouble!!

I haven't gotten completely over it but I don't suit up and play for the Saints on Sundays................it's a good thing that they don't waste a roster spot on me..............lol!!:p

I think most of the team has the mindset they've taken steps and the next step is the Super Bowl.

Two crushing playoff losses in a row has the team energized because they realize how close they are. Just from what I've gathered out of some player interviews.

This isn't a 5k race..............this is a long, grueling, 16-game season...........and hopefully beyond.

If they are good enough to roll through the league, it's because they're good enough to roll through the league. Period. There is not some magic switch that will get flipped and make them start blowing teams out 51-14 all because "awwwww **** dem boys are mad nowwwwww".

In the past, I've seen people reference the 2007 Patriots as an example of a team who got "angry" after Spygate......and that they started "taking it out" on other teams...which is why for a while they looked pretty unstoppable. Yet, it doesn't get mentioned that Brady went from his 2006 WR group (which was already enough to get them to the AFC title game) to Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth. Also, the 2007 Patriots ultimately didn't seal the deal. Were they just not "mad" enough about Spygate for that to happen?

Great coached use everything and anything they can for motivational purposes. Better believe SP finds a way to turn it into a positive....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom