Lets be Real, Does Last Season Give Us Added Fuel? (1 Viewer)

Will we use last years non call as fuel?

• Total voters
It's a bit conflicting. On one hand, I want the Saints to blow out every opponent even though it would be poor sportsmanship, or at least perceived as such. On the other hand, I want NO games to hang on an idiotic call or no-call from the officials. To be on the safe side, let's clobber every opponent.

At first after what happened I wasn't really sure if we could come back from this..but the more we get closer to the season. I'm really getting that "Us against the world (league in this case)" feeling. We definitely will have a chip on our shoulders!..and I'm excited for us to prove the league they did us wrong!

It took my fuel. Between 2011, 2017, and 2018, perhaps three of the most unlikely exists in NFL History, I have been sapped of my ability to feel good about this teams chances to win the SB.

Ill keep waiting for the other foot to fall, asking what is the next astronomically unlucky and unlikely situation the Saints will find themselves in?
This is more how I view it. It SHOULD be fuel but realistically I don't see the Saints coming back strong from this. That was a franchise defining moment. I want to believe that they will still come back and win it all; but the track record isn't good for teams losing the NFC Championship. Especially not in that fashion.

I really don’t see how being on the verge of making it to your second Super Bowl and having it ripped away by something completely beyond your control would be the least bit “motivating”. If anything it would cement the thought that unless you are one of Goodell’s “chosen” teams (big market, nationally popular, or a team looking to build fans - Rams) the league isn’t going to let you win. So completely demotivating instead.

Respect your post very much. It will not be the most popular opinion, but one that imho, needs to be expressed. Coach Pete is very concerned about this with the Saints this season. Coach Payton used the Minny Hemroidal play to motivate the team for this past season. How many times can a coach get a team playing at an absolute emotional peak based on previous season anger??? But as another poster said, it may not be imperative as long as this team shows up for every game because this is likely the most solid, complete and deep team in Saints history.

Appreciate your post Ti!

At first after what happened I wasn't really sure if we could come back from this..but the more we get closer to the season. I'm really getting that "Us against the world (league in this case)" feeling. We definitely will have a chip on our shoulders!..and I'm excited for us to prove the league they did us wrong!

Another really good post. You know CSP will always have a grudge against Goodell and can't wait to get the 2nd SB trophy from him. And CSP dearly wants Brees to go down as one of the top 2 QBs of all time and knows he needs 1 more SB ring. Can SP' energy motivate this entire team. My answer is, "Very Possibly!!

Thanks Quiet! Good stuff!

I have never played on a professional sports team of any kind. However, I do know how it feels to wish I had the opportunity to do so. I'm sure that players of any sport find ways to give themselves the motivational edge to excel at their game. But I have always been of the mind that if you need more than your heart's desire to play your best all the time, you're not the professional you claim to be.

While I do believe that there is such a thing as bringing your 'A-Game', whether you have it on any given day shouldn't be a matter of 'extra motivation' ("added fuel"). But if there is such a thing as being extra focused & driven to play above your natural abilities, then the Saints have a lot of reason to do so this season. The way I see it, the heightened motivation is generally reflected in the physical & mental preparation that is done before the game ever begins. That is likely to be the greatest evidence of enhanced motivation.

I have never played on a professional sports team of any kind. However, I do know how it feels to wish I had the opportunity to do so. I'm sure that players of any sport find ways to give themselves the motivational edge to excel at their game. But I have always been of the mind that if you need more than your heart's desire to play your best all the time, you're not the professional you claim to be.

While I do believe that there is such a thing as bringing your 'A-Game', whether you have it on any given day shouldn't be a matter of 'extra motivation' ("added fuel"). But if there is such a thing as being extra focused & driven to play above your natural abilities, then the Saints have a lot of reason to do so this season. The way I see it, the heightened motivation is generally reflected in the physical & mental preparation that is done before the game ever begins. That is likely to be the greatest evidence of enhanced motivation.

Really well said Bill. Really good stuff. Thx!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom