Let's get to testing the new Politics site and get it started (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Please read all of the following prior to clicking on the site link.

-First, let me state that it isn't quite finished, and it won't be live officially to the public for a few days. But it is live for the members here and whoever reads this. I am still tweaking graphics as well as features, both of which will be an ongoing process for a while, so keep that in mind. I am hoping you will all start new discussions and move the discussion there so that we will have a head start before officially going live.

-Right now, the new site is NOT searchable through Search engines, which I will change shortly.

- Important: When registering, DO declare as either Conservative, Moderate, or Liberal when asked. Although there are community boards (common boards where everyone can participate), each Usergroup has its own associated board. So if you register as a Liberal, you will have access to the community boards as well as the liberal board, but you will not be able to access the Moderate and Conservative boards. The same goes for the moderate and conservative political declarations in reverse. If you do not declare at all, then you will only be able to access the community, or common boards.

- Once I set up the staff, the intent is to have liberals moderate the liberal board, conservatives will moderate the conservative board and the same goes for the moderate board being moderated by declared moderates. Basically, I don't want to hear one moderating group griping about what is going on within another Usergroup's boards. Already some don't like that I have Fox News, etc showing on the Conservative Board, for example. My job is not to try to convert anyone to my way of thinking, no matter how much I disagree with another person's politics. I have to remain neutral, and there can be no display of bias. There will be very few admins for the time being. To that end, I have decided that I will pick admins that I feel like are most reasonable, and least entrenched in their politics to share in the site-wide admin responsibilities.

- If you would like to help moderate a board on the new site (or this one for that matter), drop me a conversation/PM/DM. I will then go over your posting histories and get back to you one way or another. Don't be offended if you are not accepted as I am awful choosy. I need reasonable people that moderate by the rules, and not according to their personal agenda. Open-minded people that don't go off half-cocked.

We are going to attempt to do the impossible, which is to hold reasonable discussions and debates on the Main Community Board and within the debate Arena, at least. Those boards will be heavily moderated. The insults that I have been seeing here of late won't get any passes on The Main Community and Arena Debate boards. If you want to talk trash and hurl insults, then keep it in what I call "Bob E's Mud Pit" board. :hihi:

- Each declared board has its own news feeds in the right sidebar (Below the threads on smart phones), populated with news most associated with their declared political associations. I tossed out any that I thought were extreme. For example, you won't see The Daily Kos in the Liberal Newsfeed, or Breitbart in the conservative feed. There is also a POTUS Twitter feed in that sidebar, as well as news from the different fact-checking entities. I want everyone to be as well informed as possible, while at the same time trying to be reasonable in what news is fed to the membership.

- The home/news page is populated with political RSS feeds that we are scraping from the following media sources: (ABCNews, FoxNews, CNN, NBC, NYT, NPR, BBC, CBS, Economist, RealClearPolitics & Reuters). The news is fed in real-time. That feed is automated. I am not adding the news manually, so please don't complain to me about it.

- We will have some feature writers shortly after going live, which will show up above the above home page news feed once we start publishing. I am trying to recruit authors from across the political spectrum. If you are an aspiring political author and want to gain some experience and build a brand for yourself, and are not concerned about being paid (because you won't be... at least not until the site is profiting), then drop me a message. We will not serve any ads in the beginning.

- We plan to hold structured debates that would include teams chosen by each user groups peers on their own boards which will take place on the Arena sub-forum of The Main Community Board. This will happen after we go live officially once we have completed the testing phase.

- We also have a World Discussion Board, an EE Board, and I have set up regional boards for each state. The regional boards won't be live, or even displayed until we have enough traffic All are community boards.

- Registration is wide open right now. No one is blocked from registering. Everyone is welcome (Edit - this was primarily meant to include members banned from the Politics Board, so there are exceptions, including members banned for making threats, and other extreme behavior). We will sort things out in time. The rules are much the same there as they are here on SR, other than there is a "Mud Pit" board which will be more in line with the Locker room here on SR. The rest of the boards will be managed with rules in place much as we have on SR. I still have tweaking to do to the rules also.

- Once we go live officially, the PDB here will be archived on its own board, which will be closed for posting, and all PDB links here will redirect to the new site.

I realize that not everyone approves of the idea, but that is what we settled upon, and in all honesty, otherwise, I would have simply dropped the PDB and disallowed political discussion on SR completely about a year ago, due to its ridiculously divisive nature. Make no mistake, we have lost plenty of members here over this board, and I have been under tremendous pressure to do away with this board for a while. I was a bit ahead of those that have been making a stink about it... It's just taken way longer to build that site than anticipated.

The main reason that I didn't drop the PDB is that there are about 300 members that regularly frequent this board and I didn't want to break this group up. Added to that, personally I enjoy reading the PDB, so that led to a dilemma, then the idea of the new site popped into my head. However, I wanted to make it inviting to all political affiliations, hence the idea of declaring affiliation, and creating "safe zones", so-to-speak. It would be really nice if we could have structured debates from across the political realm without all of the rudeness and insults, right? Added, if one group feels ganged-up on, they can retreat to their own usergroups board and continue discussions with their like-minded members rather than throwing up their hands and going elsewhere.

Will it work? If it doesn't, it won't be due to a lack of trying. A lot of that will be up to you all, and others that come in later.

We want a clean start there, so we will not be moving or migrating posts from this board to the new MAP site. However, feel free to post new threads with the same subject matter.

One thing that I want the mods and members to understand... I am not a big fan of tossing every news item into one long thread. New news items should stand alone as new topics on their own thread, so let's not get crazy with the merging, please.

The new site is located at https://madaboutpolitics.com. I call it MAP for short. The name Mad about Politics is a double entendre and is pretty fitting, I think.

I would like to invite you all to go in and register, start new topics, and as I said earlier, basically get it going before we go live officially. I pre-registered some of you that asked me to reserve your usernames months back and sent you those members their login info. Those usernames should now work.

So please go over and get the party started... I think that this could be a lot of fun.

You can post issues, bugs, and suggestions here within this thread.

EDIT:

I am going to repeat this in the simplest terms I can, in an attempt to clarify.

The Main Community Board is the main board of participation and is open to all members. That is the board that you should be most focused upon. It is the PDB of madaboutpolitics.com. . This is where the majority of discussions will be taking place.

All other boards are secondary, whether common boards or those specific to the individual member's political declaration (Conservative, Moderate or Liberal).

1569671900193.png
Logo courtesy of Soggybottomboy at
Prejean Creative

Last edited:
OP
Andrus

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This going into effect as impeachment begins is purely coincidental, yes?
(Rhetorical)
I had been trying to make the announcement for a couple of weeks now, however when doing our own testing we kept finding and fixing bugs. The bugs were fixed by Thursday, but there was so much action on the PDB during and after the hearing that I figured I would wait until today, which is typically a slow news day.

Reaction score
I had been trying to make the announcement for a couple of weeks now, however when doing our own testing we kept finding and fixing bugs. The bugs were fixed by Thursday, but there was so much action on the PDB during and after the hearing that I figured I would wait until today, which is typically a slow news day.
Awesome news overall. This board is very amusing but it really has devolved into what I hope is an aberration.

Zardnok

Zardnokalicious!
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So please go over and get the party started... I think that this could be a lot of fun.

You can post issues, bugs, and suggestions here within this thread.

1569671900193.png
Logo courtesy of Soggybottomboy at
Prejean Creative
8 AM and Andrus wants us to start partying!

I signed up and decided I was a Moderate. I figured that is where disgusted former conservatives go.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I thought this was more about the Cancel Culture thread, since isn’t that what this is lol?

I respect the hard work but it seems designed for a very niche audience. And I am not actually sure who that niche is. And I still hate the idea of walled off safe spaces as it completely cuts against the grain of what made the PDB not a cess pool like TD.

I registered but honestly doubt I’ll spend much time.

it’s a shame that you have let a number of outspoken conservatives whine their way into turning SR into a safe space they can keep their regressive culture wars and football and avoid minimal pushback on what are inseparably politically rooted conversations. Or because a board exists that they don’t like and can’t help themselves but trying to cancel.

I’ll give it a shot, because of the people here, but idk.

Last edited:

Oye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Pst... Does anyone know the answer to #3? I wasn’t ready for the registration pop quiz. Haha
I got a US geography question.

That's biased.

Not for people in Canada.

Biased for products of the US public education system.

t_rav_82

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I got a US geography question.

That's biased.

Not for people in Canada.

Biased for products of the US public education system.
Ugh. I suck at geography. Is Texas an acceptable answer? There is an unincorporated area of Texas that goes by the same name.

Arathrael

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
- Important: When registering, DO declare as either Conservative, Moderate, or Liberal when asked.
I've got a UI issue for you.

I registered as Liberal when signing up. I was wondering about changing registration (I'm probably Liberal but possibly Moderate depending on just where they end up being), so I thought I'd test it. It looks like changing requires manual approval (which makes sense), but I didn't see anything indicating that. The political alignment option is just under Account Details, and you can select it and save it, but it has no immediate visible effect, apart from removing the political alignment option. Only when the request is approved does it reappear.

So from a UI point of view, I would suggest that the fact that it's a request, not just a user-defined setting, needs to be clearly indicated. Ideally the state of the request should also be indicated, and it could be useful for the user to be able to provide a reason for the switch, and cancel the request if they wish.

I can see this being a pretty common use case: a user signs up for a Conservative/Liberal board, thinks it might be too Conservative/Liberal for them, so switches to Moderate, then after looking at the Moderate board decides actually the first one was a better fit and switches back.

While there's a case for switching to require manual approval to minimise arbitrary switching, or switching for the purpose of 'spying' on another alignment's board (I'm not sure it's the best approach - my inclination would be towards non-aligned boards being read-only and political alignment switches being time-limited - but there's definitely a case for it), without the user being able to provide reasoning, it's going to be pretty hard to administrate. Arbitrary switching will look a lot like the use case above.

I've since switched back to Liberal and it hasn't been approved yet.

OP
Andrus

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I registered as Liberal when signing up. I was wondering about changing registration (I'm probably Liberal but possibly Moderate depending on just where they end up being), so I thought I'd test it. It looks like changing requires manual approval (which makes sense), but I didn't see anything indicating that. The political alignment option is just under Account Details, and you can select it and save it, but it has no immediate visible effect, apart from removing the political alignment option. Only when the request is approved does it reappear.

So from a UI point of view, I would suggest that the fact that it's a request, not just a user-defined setting, needs to be clearly indicated. Ideally the state of the request should also be indicated, and it could be useful for the user to be able to provide a reason for the switch, and cancel the request if they wish.

I can see this being a pretty common use case: a user signs up for a Conservative/Liberal board, thinks it might be too Conservative/Liberal for them, so switches to Moderate, then after looking at the Moderate board decides actually the first one was a better fit and switches back.

While there's a case for switching to require manual approval to minimise arbitrary switching, or switching for the purpose of 'spying' on another alignment's board (I'm not sure it's the best approach - my inclination would be towards non-aligned boards being read-only and political alignment switches being time-limited - but there's definitely a case for it), without the user being able to provide reasoning, it's going to be pretty hard to administrate. Arbitrary switching will look a lot like the use case above.

Thanks Arathrael, I will have my programmer look into that. We have to manually approve political affiliation changes, In-fact, I just approved two of them, and I assume one of them was yours since I clicked "Approve" before looking to see who they were.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Another big reason for why the walled garden approach(in such a narrow and poorly defined way) is pretty problematic to me. Political identity is incredibly complicated and the idea you can neatly lock in three archetypes is kind of, I don’t mean to be rude, but absurd.

I mean where does a culture conservative that believes in UHC, loves Bernie or Andrew Yang , but votes for Trump and spends most of his online time fighting the culture wars from the right and militantly defending UHC from the left? He isn’t moderate, he isn’t liberal, he certainly isn’t conservative. But he is an archetype that populates a good chunk of the internet.

I really hope you all revisit the rationale and reasoning for it.

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Another big reason for why the walled garden approach(in such a narrow and poorly defined way) is pretty problematic to me. Political identity is incredibly complicated and the idea you can neatly lock in three archetypes is kind of, I don’t mean to be rude, but absurd.

I mean where does a culture conservative that believes in UHC, loves Bernie or Andrew Yang , but votes for Trump and spends most of his online time fighting the culture wars from the right and militantly defending UHC from the left? He isn’t moderate, he isn’t liberal, he certainly isn’t conservative. But he is an archetype that populates a good chunk of the internet.

I really hope you all revisit the rationale and reasoning for it.
There were lengthy discussions about the designations held with input from a good number of people. All of the issues you mention were considered and this is the direction that was decided upon for the launch of the site. There is nothing preventing us from changing it at some point in the future, but a decision had to be made on personal designations and Liberal/Moderate/Conservative was chosen over Democrat/Independent/Republican. We weren't trying to come up with something that fit every potential scenario. Ultimately, if people are interested enough in discussing political issues, they know where they fit on the political spectrum. If they aren't comfortable with Liberal or Conservative, they can always choose Moderate. If they don't like any of the three labels, they can still participate in the Community Forum.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It seems a good chunk of that decision is moderator based, is it not?

I chose no definition because I truly don’t feel aligned in any of those camps, but my designation was chosen for me anyways.

Just on the functionality of it, that seems to be problematic long-term as it means mods are basically playing kingmaker on people’s political identity. And therefore it raises questions in my mind about what criteria is being used, why, and the equity of that approach.

I still propose letting communities form organically in a dedicated space and moderating from there is the more proven approach.

Just offering some initial feedback. Like you all said you wanted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom