Let's Grade the Correct Draft 2009 or 2010 not 2013 (1 Viewer)

Let's not forget the 2009 pick(s?) that brought us Jeremy Shockey. The same Jeremy Shockey who caught what amounted to the game winning Super Bowl catch.

2009 draft is a solid B+ for me because the two Wake Forest clowns didn't amount to anything but we got three pretty good contributors from it that helped us win a Super Bowl.

If we had picked Austin Collie and Gerald McGrath instead of wasting the picks on the Wake dudes, it would have been and A or A+

If Jimmy Graham wouldve kicked the onside kick that changed the tone of the Super Bowl....yes, i would have.

I may have been "nice" with my grade, but i cant discout the fact that 2 players from that draft played big parts in bringing home the Lombardi.

Yeah, I'm a tough grader. Put it this way, an A+ draft, for me, would probably need to be comprised of a couple of Pro Bowlers, two more solid starters, and at least a couple more players that are at least still on the team contributing.

I can't give bonus points because of the S.B. though. We're just evaluating the players.

A draft loses a lot of grade points for me whenever you have several guys that, who were not only busts, but never even played a down for you.

I don't have it at my fingertips, but what if you throw in undrafted rookies to grading the draft. While technically not part of the draft(as they weren't drafted), they still (if we have any) comprise the the work of the scouting department (whom we are essentially passing judgement on) and their work for the year.

Yeah, I'm a tough grader. Put it this way, an A+ draft, for me, would probably need to be comprised of a couple of Pro Bowlers, two more solid starters, and at least a couple more players that are at least still on the team contributing.

I can't give bonus points because of the S.B. though. We're just evaluating the players.
I disagree. If the New York Giants had drafted David Tyree in 2007, and the only catch if ever made for them in his career was that helmet catch, it's still a worthwhile draft pick.

They got 2 indivual A players....but you got to grade it from an overall stand point.

But your point is valid.

Honestly, if we get 1 impact player in every draft while sprinkling in a couple of starters, I'd have to consider it an overall success. If Jordan and Hicks pans out the way we all seem to think they will, the view of the Saints and their ability to draft will all change amongst the fanbase.

I disagree. If the New York Giants had drafted David Tyree in 2007, and the only catch if ever made for them in his career was that helmet catch, it's still a worthwhile draft pick.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Had the Redskins won the superbowl last year but RGIII had a carreer ending injury then the price the skins paid to get RGIII would have been too high and their draft w/o him for the longterm is significantly diminished.

That's a fair point, but also just a personal preference. I'd prefer to stick to evaluating the player himself, on his own merits, rather than propping him up because he was on a TEAM that won the Super Bowl. Just because you were on a Super Bowl team does not make you a better player than someone who was not on a Super Bowl team.

That's a fair point, but also just a personal preference. I'd prefer to stick to evaluating the player himself, on his own merits, rather than propping him up because he was on a TEAM that won the Super Bowl. Just because you were on a Super Bowl team does not make you a better player than someone who was not on a Super Bowl team.
You're not wrong either, but Morstead kicked that onsider that basically set the stage for us to win that thing.

Malcolm sure looked pretty following Porter to the end zone, too. :hihi:

I guess I'm looking at the individual player's contributions to that Super Bowl as well, like what I mentioned about Shockey.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Had the Redskins won the superbowl last year but RGIII had a carreer ending injury then the price the skins paid to get RGIII would have been too high and their draft w/o him for the longterm is significantly diminished.
I'll bet there are a lot of Detriot Lions fans who would gladly trade career ending injuries from Calvin Johnson and Matt Stafford if they won the big one this year.

I think sometimes we get a little spoiled because we have a recent Super Bowl championship and the potential for more.

I see where you're coming from too, I guess it just depends on what you value.

In 09, Cushing, Mathews, and Byrd would have been better picks on defense. To show how bad this group has been in selecting in the top of the draft, if everyone remembers, the saints were trying to move back into the first round to take Beanie Wells. Ouch. They also wanted Mareno. Same draft, Harvin and Shady McCoy go after Jenkins.
The 2010 draft was stacked in the first round. Half of the players selected in round 1 have made the pro bowl. After the first round, pretty much the 3 tight ends and Geno Adkins have had standout careers so far, and we have one of them. It truly is terrible how the saints have drafted in the first and second. I think only Jordan has lived up to where he was drafted.

In 09, Cushing, Mathews, and Byrd would have been better picks on defense. To show how bad this group has been in selecting in the top of the draft, if everyone remembers, the saints were trying to move back into the first round to take Beanie Wells. Ouch. They also wanted Mareno. Same draft, Harvin and Shady McCoy go after Jenkins.
The 2010 draft was stacked in the first round. Half of the players selected in round 1 have made the pro bowl. After the first round, pretty much the 3 tight ends and Geno Adkins have had standout careers so far, and we have one of them. It truly is terrible how the saints have drafted in the first and second. I think only Jordan has lived up to where he was drafted.

Quick, without looking, who else was drafted in the first round of those drafts?

Anyone else worth mentioning? Nah.....3 teams got better players than we did. 15 other teams would've killed to have the quality of players we got

Try not to look at drafts like that

I read somewhere where GM's consider a draft to be OUTSTANDING if they get 3 long term starters from it.

This is exactly right. If you draft 2 starters or a pro bowler or player that is top 3 at his position, it's a successful draft

It sounds like fans have unrealistic expectations of drafting a pro bowler in every draft with every pick

This is exactly right. If you draft 2 starters or a pro bowler or player that is top 3 at his position, it's a successful draft

It sounds like fans have unrealistic expectations of drafting a pro bowler in every draft with every pick

I don't think anyone said that they have expectations like that. But jackpot drafts have happened before where a team gets a couple of Pro Bowlers, a couple of starters, and a couple of solid contributors.

Some people just grade a draft differently. It sounds like what you're describing, is that drafts should more or less be graded on a curve or handicap, giving teams several mulligans.

I don't think anyone said that they have expectations like that. But jackpot drafts have happened before where a team gets a couple of Pro Bowlers, a couple of starters, and a couple of solid contributors.

Some people just grade a draft differently. It sounds like what you're describing, is that drafts should more or less be graded on a curve or handicap, giving teams several mulligans.

No...I'm saying that drafts like you described rarely ever happen

No...I'm saying that drafts like you described rarely ever happen

They do happen rarely, but they happen. I don't think we need to be debating something so subjective as a draft grading scale. I understand perfectly what constitutes a successful draft and I also understand perfectly the realistic expectations of a draft. That doesn't mean though, for me at least, that successful = A+.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom