Let's Grade the Correct Draft 2009 or 2010 not 2013 (1 Viewer)

What do you want to grade--the individual picks made or the overall production of the draft regardless of the number of picks?

The problem is that we had a total of 10 picks over two drafts. Keep trading away your picks, averaging only five picks per draft, and not having a second round pick--probably for value the best round in the draft--and the team eventually feels the pain.

In 2009, a B to B minus for the selections made. Jenkins has been a starter and has at times made big plays, even though we expected a bit more than he has produced, and Morstead was an exceptional pick. The two fourth round picks were bad. Who was scouting Wake Forest for the Saints in 2008-2009?

In 2010, a B for the selections made, considering that we were drafting last in each round. The first round selection was questionable then. The second round selection was a risk probably worth taking that has not yet produced. Woods and Tennant were bad picks. However, the players from the first three rounds are still on the roster--and the third round pick is the second most valuable player (Graham) on the team in terms of what he would bring in a trade. Graham alone bumps the grade from C minus to B.

They do happen rarely, but they happen. I don't think we need to be debating something so subjective as a draft grading scale. I understand perfectly what constitutes a successful draft and I also understand perfectly the realistic expectations of a draft. That doesn't mean though, for me at least, that successful = A+.

That's fine. Everyone grades differently.....I just think a fans perspective of a successful draft and a teams perspective of a successful draft seem to be drastically different by reading some of the posts

I don't think anyone said that they have expectations like that. But jackpot drafts have happened before where a team gets a couple of Pro Bowlers, a couple of starters, and a couple of solid contributors.

Some people just grade a draft differently. It sounds like what you're describing, is that drafts should more or less be graded on a curve or handicap, giving teams several mulligans.

Agreed.

It's like only playing the lottery when it reaches 100 million because otherwise, it's not worth it. You essentially forfeit all the times you don't play.

I'm sorry, but the draft is the tortoise an hare story. Slow and steady. Give me a few solid contributes every year. One or two solid starters is good, pro bowlers fantastic, HOF player(s) JACKPOT. Side question: Has a team ever drafted multiple HOF players in the same year?

I want the TEAM built for long term success not flash in the pan success. I want to always contend.

C for both drafts. We keep missing out on valuable depth.

Malcom Jenkins
Chip Vaughn
Stanly Arnoux
Thomas Moorstead

Patrick Robinson
Charles Brown
Jimmy Graham
Al Woods
Matt Tennant
Sean Cannfield

I will play...

2009- C+. I want to give it a better grade, but we didnt have enough picks. 2 guys in this draft HELPED US WIN A SUPER BOWL. Morestead is an All-Pro punter and arguably the best in the league. I still hold out hope for Jenkins. But he was a key cog to helping us win in 2009.

2010- C+ also. This could go up if Charles Brown amounts to anything this year, but for now he doesnt. PRob, like Jenkins i still hold out hope. Jimmy Graham saves this draft from being a C-/D+.

In summary. The drafts classes are on the higher end of average. They arent the worst drafts we have seen, but clearly far from being the best. We did land some All Pro/Pro Bowl players that could be best in the game when all is said and done...something to be said for that.

That's about 50%... I was listening to bill polish the other day and said most nfl execs consider 55% or more a successful draft. Don't know what it means just throwing it out there.

What do you want to grade--the individual picks made or the overall production of the draft regardless of the number of picks?

The problem is that we had a total of 10 picks over two drafts. Keep trading away your picks, averaging only five picks per draft, and not having a second round pick--probably for value the best round in the draft--and the team eventually feels the pain.

In 2009, a B to B minus for the selections made. Jenkins has been a starter and has at times made big plays, even though we expected a bit more than he has produced, and Morstead was an exceptional pick. The two fourth round picks were bad. Who was scouting Wake Forest for the Saints in 2008-2009?

In 2010, a B for the selections made, considering that we were drafting last in each round. The first round selection was questionable then. The second round selection was a risk probably worth taking that has not yet produced. Woods and Tennant were bad picks. However, the players from the first three rounds are still on the roster--and the third round pick is the second most valuable player (Graham) on the team in terms of what he would bring in a trade. Graham alone bumps the grade from C minus to B.

I think THIS is the crux of evaluating your scouting department AND GM. If you need to have fewer picks because you are at a critical point (ie. Drew is at his peak and we need to win now), is one thing. To consistently have few draft picks is another.

I think NE takes it to the opposite extreme. They seem to always trade down (last year was an anomaly). Yet they don't seem to get the other player that pushes them over the top. Overall, I appreciate their stability, but they seem to settle for playing for playing for conference championships vs playing for SB titles. Sometimes you need to get that player that gives you the edge. NE is always good, but not champions. We gambled and got a championship.

Perhaps, and it's too early to tell, but perhaps the 'model' is the Giants who consistently draft well and and the right player and win the SB periodically. In the age of FA, there are no more dynasties, but having a system in place AND the right coach is probably the formula for success in today's NFL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom