Let's Quit Smoking (2 Viewers)

Chantix

/4yearssmokefree

I highly recommend Chantix if you can take it. I took it for a month once. Really erased the urge to smoke almost instantly, gave me some freaky-cool dreams...and made me want to drive under a truck or in front of a train. But it really does work as long as it doesn't give you the bad thoughts.

You forgot they make you older faster.
She's only 50.
article-1212928-0662272F000005DC-335_233x376_popup.jpg

If that's not enough. How about the whole lung cancer and dying thing.

She's pretty Hot for 50 :mwink:

I think you should quit... cigs smell of ***. When talking to someone who smokes, I tend to make the conversations end rather quickly.

I also quit once before, for about three years, so I know what to expect kinda. But I was pregnant, so I think my body was on my side when I quit. This time I'm afraid it will rebel. But I do know it can be done.

Once you get over " the thing missing from my hand" syndrome you'll be good to go. At first you'll think about it all the time and your body will try to plot terrorist acts againts you....such as gas attacks (this may cause you to lose friends also). Then the brain will also go full on mental warfare and try to trick you, telling you that it's ok to have just one...."this is hard and you should have to torture yourself this way". Two ways to fight this. you can ignore it or punish the brain with heavy doses of LSD. I recommend the first one. To this day I still think I'm a glass of orange juice...please don't spill me. ha ha

My last day is the 29th

Other than that good luck

I quit 2.5 years ago via Chantix. Chantix is God.

However, I enjoyed smoking. I really did. If I could do it again with no repercussions, I would.

I'll never go back though, ive had my time.

Chantix

/4yearssmokefree

I highly recommend Chantix if you can take it. I took it for a month once. Really erased the urge to smoke almost instantly, gave me some freaky-cool dreams...and made me want to drive under a truck or in front of a train. But it really does work as long as it doesn't give you the bad thoughts.

I quit 2.5 years ago via Chantix. Chantix is God.

However, I enjoyed smoking. I really did. If I could do it again with no repercussions, I would.

I'll never go back though, ive had my time.

My friend took Chantix. She had some real problem with it. Lots of horrible scary dreams. Sleepless nights and some other serious problems. I'm glad it works for some people, but it's not for everyone. Just be careful.

Really glad It's something I've never took up, We're so used to the smoking ban in bars and clubs over here, It's gonna take me a lil while to get used having to deal with it again.

Too many hot chicks smoke in U.S :covri:

We'll i wont be cutting off my nose to spite my face, I'll just need to deal with it.

Quitting is easy I've done it a 100 times. But seriously I wanna quit!

My friend took Chantix. She had some real problem with it. Lots of horrible scary dreams. Sleepless nights and some other serious problems. I'm glad it works for some people, but it's not for everyone. Just be careful.

It gave me some goofy dreams too, but that's nothing compared to the 24 years of behavioral modification smoking gave me. And, im not just talking about physical habits, It changes the way you think about everything, even if its a slight change.

--I'm planning to be a massage therapist. Who would use me when I smell like Marlboro? My future plans can't be derailed over a dumb habit that I can break.
If I was getting a happy ending and my masseuse smelled like smoke that would make it seem sleazy.:hihi:

O.k. I'm in. I quit briefly a few years ago, went much better than I thought I would. Pressures, chaos and deaths in the family all dragged me back in unfortunately. Ready to give it another shot..

Is it cheating to smoke a CIGAR on game days ?

I also quit once before, for about three years, so I know what to expect kinda. But I was pregnant, so I think my body was on my side when I quit.

Sounds to me like you need to get pregnant.

I've been thinking a lot about quitting the last few months, mostly because of the expense but also the health aspect. $200/month is a lot of money for something that doesn't even give you a buzz. It's hard to break the associations as much as it is the craving for nicotine. I can't imagine not having a cigarette with the morning coffee, after eating, while drinking alcohol, while driving, etc.

From what I've read you probably shouldn't use a nicotine substitute like gum or the patch. To break the addiction you have to quit feeding the nicotine receptors. If you can't use Chantix I've heard sunflower seeds work ok. Keeps you busy and helps with the oral fixation (giggity).

I quit in 2001. I used dry spaghetti to chew on (one strand can last hours) and the patch to lower the nicotine slowly. But I think my psychological trick was what put me over the top. Every time I craved a smoke I would tell myself I'd go get a pack in half an hour if I still wanted one. I never had to make that trip. I still say that to myself today on those rare occasions I get a craving.

Quit cold turkey when I was 26 or 27, can't remember exactly. Grew up with a smoking mother, smoking grandfather (who I idolized) and smoking grandmother. Mom smoked while she was pregnant with me. So I guess I started in the womb. Started in earnest as a young teen, like most smokers I imagine.

Had tried to quit a couple of times before it stuck. I got angry that I kept failing ("Anger is a gift" - RATM). No way this useless chemical was going to own me like that. I'll be damned if I'm going to put cancer and emphysema on layaway to pay for some tobacco executive's yacht. All it took was a couple of weeks of true focus, and it was done. Have never had another one, and never will.

Don't feel the urge, not even rarely. The smell repulses me now. Have something akin to an allergic reaction to it since quitting. My sinuses close up and my chest hurts when I spend more than a few minutes in a smoky room (cigarette smoke and heavy incense trigger this reaction, but not wood smoke from a fire, or pot smoke).

Couple of anecdotes, I'm sure everyone that knows smokers has a few. 31 year old guy on another board I surf got lung cancer. We thought he was a goner, but he's had a lung transplant and is actually still alive. Its been a couple of years now. Not sure how he is doing. I know he had a tumor wrapped around his spine at one point. Hope he makes it long-term.

Another is one of my best friend's mother. She's 58 and cigarettes have ruined her life. Advanced emphysema. She gets rushed to the ER every month or two because she cant breathe. She was comatose a couple of years ago. Doctors suggested to her sons that they pull the plug. But they decided to give it a few days and she came out of it. She's on the list now for a lung transplant herself. She's right on the border. Something like 15% lung capacity.

And guess what. She still smokes. To this very day. Excuse after excuse. Refuses to quit. Thinks astrology, or any number of things (besides actually quitting) will save her. Thinks she's smarter than the doctors. I guess being in a coma on a ventilator wasn't enough of a wake-up call. When the doctors find out she's still smoking, that will be the end of her lung transplant opportunity. And that will be that. Quite sad watching someone spiral the drain because of cigarettes. Such useless, meaningless suffering.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom