Let's Quit Smoking (1 Viewer)

KardiacKat

Very Banned
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Anyone want to? We've discussed this before. I have one of those clever electronic cigarettes, which does make a passable substitute, but I don't use much it because I haven't really wanted to quit. It's a security blanket. It's an old habit that I love. And I'm addicted to it. It will be hard to quit.

But it's a lot easier to do something with someone else in your corner, going through the same thing. So if anyone else has been fighting this and thinking about quitting, maybe we could come back here and get our pep talks. People who have successfully quit may share some pointers. Even non-smokers who have given up other bad habits (like soft drinks or junk food) may be able to give us some ideas.

Some will have it rougher than others. Those who are free to smoke whenever they want to, like me, will need to find a new habit. Tic-Tacs, gum, lolly-pops may help. I've known people who chewed a toothpick to satisfy the oral part of the habit. I'll use that e-cig to transition, which is just a nicotine inhaler, because I don't need to go into full-on nic withdrawal ***** mode since I'm starting school. There are only 16 people in my program and I don't need them all to hate me right out of the gate!

It may also be useful to create a list of good reasons to quit. We all know the basic good reasons: it costs too much money, it's killing us, it's stinky, it's a socially-ostracizing habit, it's a bad example for the kids, it raises your insurance rates, and so forth. But we've ignored those reasons in the past, right? Specific personal reasons may be the added motivation we need.

My personal reasons to quit:
--I have caught a lot of guff about the expense of going to school. What I spend in smokes each week will pay for all my gas and cold drinks. I can't go to school because the gas costs too much? Screw you. I just found the money.
--I'm planning to be a massage therapist. Who would use me when I smell like Marlboro? My future plans can't be derailed over a dumb habit that I can break.
--I promised someone I would quit. They have kept their promises to me and I can't let them down.

What are your reasons? Share them if they aren't too personal, and we'll light a candle and work up some mojo for you.

If the Saints can win the Super Bowl, then you (and you and you) and me can quit smoking. Ready?

antipop

drool mop
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i have tried to have a real cigarette a once or twice in the last couple of months and they tasted awful....i couldn't even finish them...

and those convenient store ecigs are trash

geoffspins

Limey Saint
Reaction score
I haven't smoked or Skoal in 15 months. The urges are almost gone except for those occasional stressful times or eating a large Chinese buffet meal. I feel better and been sick much less this year. My wife is pregnant so that helps me to stay healthy
Well a cigarette is probably healthier than a large Chinese buffet :covri:

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
silly question. what is difference between e-cig and vaping?
The question should be what is the difference between an ecig and a cape pipe. My quick answer is one worked for me and the other did not.

An ecig is a portable AM/FM radio. A vape pipe is a high end stereo system.

Almost unlimited flavors, long lasting batteries and varying voltages allow you to customize to your liking. The ecigs just did not feel right for me. It was like having sex with a blowup doll.

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
The question should be what is the difference between an ecig and a cape pipe. My quick answer is one worked for me and the other did not.

An ecig is a portable AM/FM radio. A vape pipe is a high end stereo system.

I guess I just considered them all the same thing for some reason

Almost unlimited flavors, long lasting batteries and varying voltages allow you to customize to your liking
thats pretty much what I went with I had the battery with diff voltages and the tank and an air control valve (till I broke it :covri:) and I went with Esspresso flavor (also had purple nurple,apple and one called Jimmy Buffett)

It was like having sex with a blowup doll
but its still sex right?

BroKV

Pelón
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I quit smoking the beginning of 1999. I used the patches (which were fairly new) and they made me sicker than a dog for about 3 days. So that helped make it easier to start the process. I hope anyone who is quitting has all the best in their trial.

Reaction score
The easiest way that Ive found to quit, as crazy as it sounds, is to have a pack of cigs with you. Its a mental thing. If you're going cold turkey and having no cigs around at all, its awful. But if you do have a pack around, then that tends to *somewhat* alleviate the panic that comes with quitting cold turkey. In the back of your mind, you know you have a pack handy if things "get too bad" for you. However, you never actually pick the pack up and smoke one.

This way isnt for everyone, but Ive seen it work for a few people. It does work. It worked for me and a few friends of mine.

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
its been awhile since this thread has had a good bump. As many have, I have had a quit/not quitting relationship with cig for the past few months and between me and the wife trying to quit I am amazed no one has died yet.

Well I needed a new tank for my e-cig so off to the store the wife and I go. There was a new guy working at the place today so we get to talking. He was 26 and already had lung cancer and copd. Holy heck I..............just..............damn. Thankfully he is in remission now but just..............damn.

Sometimes you need that in your face and up close slap and that guy ***** slapped they heck out of me and the wife.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly. My husband's leg artery closed up on him in his 30's. One day he just had a really strong ache every time he exerted himself over normal walking, like going up a hill. Over the next few months it got so bad he had to sleep in a chair because he needed gravity to help the blood flow into his lower leg.

He had an arterial bypass in his leg, spent a week in the hospital and never smoked again. The docs told him if he smoked his arteries would close up again. It's been almost 30 more years and he is still doing fine. Looking back, it may have saved his life. His dad was dead from heart disease in his late sixties, and never could quit smoking.

ktulu909

Not Band
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Today is my 2 year vape-aversary. Not a single cigarette in that time. Even as stressful as the season was.

parlorcitysaint

WhoDat in exile.
Reaction score
I was against vaping as a long term solution, but with the changes to the product over the last couple years, I went out and got my girlfriend the Innoken MVP for Christmas. The local vape shop has so many flavors and different levels of nicotine that the only thing stopping her cigarette habit is her own desire to smoke.

SAINTFAN25

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
What's everyone's recommendation for a quality vaping setup?
I just got an iStick 30 watt for the battery and a Kanger subtank nano for the tank.
Best vapor and flavor ive had yet and still small enough to put in your pocket.

I would say good starters set up would be an ego stick battery and Aspire k1 tank, wont cost much and pretty clean flavor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom