Let's Quit Smoking (1 Viewer)

KardiacKat

Very Banned
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Anyone want to? We've discussed this before. I have one of those clever electronic cigarettes, which does make a passable substitute, but I don't use much it because I haven't really wanted to quit. It's a security blanket. It's an old habit that I love. And I'm addicted to it. It will be hard to quit.

But it's a lot easier to do something with someone else in your corner, going through the same thing. So if anyone else has been fighting this and thinking about quitting, maybe we could come back here and get our pep talks. People who have successfully quit may share some pointers. Even non-smokers who have given up other bad habits (like soft drinks or junk food) may be able to give us some ideas.

Some will have it rougher than others. Those who are free to smoke whenever they want to, like me, will need to find a new habit. Tic-Tacs, gum, lolly-pops may help. I've known people who chewed a toothpick to satisfy the oral part of the habit. I'll use that e-cig to transition, which is just a nicotine inhaler, because I don't need to go into full-on nic withdrawal ***** mode since I'm starting school. There are only 16 people in my program and I don't need them all to hate me right out of the gate!

It may also be useful to create a list of good reasons to quit. We all know the basic good reasons: it costs too much money, it's killing us, it's stinky, it's a socially-ostracizing habit, it's a bad example for the kids, it raises your insurance rates, and so forth. But we've ignored those reasons in the past, right? Specific personal reasons may be the added motivation we need.

My personal reasons to quit:
--I have caught a lot of guff about the expense of going to school. What I spend in smokes each week will pay for all my gas and cold drinks. I can't go to school because the gas costs too much? Screw you. I just found the money.
--I'm planning to be a massage therapist. Who would use me when I smell like Marlboro? My future plans can't be derailed over a dumb habit that I can break.
--I promised someone I would quit. They have kept their promises to me and I can't let them down.

What are your reasons? Share them if they aren't too personal, and we'll light a candle and work up some mojo for you.

If the Saints can win the Super Bowl, then you (and you and you) and me can quit smoking. Ready?

Saintshizzle

G.O.M.A.B
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
7 Years today... Smoke-free!!

S4L,

You are at the point now where you don't need to recall anything about cigarettes ever again. Smoking now shoukd be like getting stabbed. Something that would just have to happen to you, but, not something that you would do to yourself.

Live life bro....you good. Unless someone stab a cig in your mouth.:hihi:

Saints 4 life

⚜ Falcons Suck ⚜
Reaction score
S4L,

You are at the point now where you don't need to recall anything about cigarettes ever again. Smoking now shoukd be like getting stabbed. Something that would just have to happen to you, but, not something that you would do to yourself.

Live life bro....you good. Unless someone stab a cig in your mouth.:hihi:
I hear you. Still makes me feel good every time a year passes.

wnelson

Who Dat Nation
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
ive been alcohol free for the last 3 years minus 1 day. Ive been cutting back on cigarettes for the past week and yesterday was my last one. my mom is dying of liver cancer and it made me think about being here longer for my daughter. so yeah.... the gum sucks but it actually works. I may cheat but as of now its not too terrible. if I lived in Colorado I would just munch some edibles to forget the cigarette cravings but alas, I live here.

Reaction score
I've not had one since last year. Never was a big smoker, but found I did it more than I should. Anyway, I had some imaging done and they found suspicious masses. Because of smoking history it was a tense time.

It scared me into quitting cold turkey. I'm not even mad about it though.

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
ive been alcohol free for the last 3 years minus 1 day. Ive been cutting back on cigarettes for the past week and yesterday was my last one. my mom is dying of liver cancer and it made me think about being here longer for my daughter. so yeah.... the gum sucks but it actually works. I may cheat but as of now its not too terrible. if I lived in Colorado I would just munch some edibles to forget the cigarette cravings but alas, I live here.
My advice, dont cheat. One leads to two leads to relapse. Just be done with it.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've not had one since last year. Never was a big smoker, but found I did it more than I should. Anyway, I had some imaging done and they found suspicious masses. Because of smoking history it was a tense time.

It scared me into quitting cold turkey. I'm not even mad about it though.
When I was in theatre grad school at UNO I had the hardest time figuring out what the engine of the place was (who did what why/when??) I taught at Tulane so had to run right after classes to get uptown
One day Tulane didn’t have classes so I hung out at UNO and found out that it was the smokers hanging out on the loading dock who were the school’s engine

Fast forward to today and I think there may be one teacher here who smokes - and from what I’ve seen at other schools, it seems like faculty/staff are supposed to smoke away from sight lines of th school

Interesting how quickly social behavior changed

Saints 4 life

⚜ Falcons Suck ⚜
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your mother. I lost mine in April. Dementia.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Smoked for 22 years. Quit almost four years ago. Health went to crap. Was healthy as could be while smoking. I’d encourage you not to quit. Didn’t have the desired effect for me. ?

St. Chris

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A bump for this thread. With everything going on, I forgot to post last month. March 21, 2020 was my 10 year anniversary for quitting smoking. For all those trying, keep up the work, it is worth it. If you need help, keep trying the patches, the gum, vaping, or in my case Chantix, (or one of the other drugs.) or a combination of some of these if it is safe. One method may not work for you while another may work perfectly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom