Lets talk about Adam Trautman 3 cone drill... (2 Viewers)

WhoDat?DrewDat

Jimmy Graham #1 Fan
Reaction score
Good morning all,

Before we go into Trautman's 3 cone drill first lets discuss the importance of the drill and why its ran. Simply put the primarily focus of the drill is to evaluate the agility, quickness and fluidity of movement of players. To succeed in the drill youll need fluid hips, body control, and short area quickness, Trautman excels at all three.

With all if that in mind Trautman ran an official 6.78 3 cone drill at 6'5 255lbs at the combine. That is incredible.

Just how impressive is that? Lets compare his results vs some of the best route runners in the entire NFL.
(please keep in mind some of these players did not preform the 3 cone at the combine but instead their pro day... which tends to be favorable to the participant)

Tight Ends:
George Kittle 6'4 251lbs: 6.76 (pro-day)
Jimmy Graham 6'6 250lbs: 6.90 (combine)
Zack Ertz 6'5 249lbs: 7.08 (combine)
Travis Kelce, 6'5 255lbs: 7.12 (pro-day)

Now lets compate his number vs some of the best route runners in the NFL, please keep in mind the added height and weight Trautman has on them.

Recievers:
OBJ 5'11 198lbs: 6.69 (combine)
Michael Thomas 6'3 212lbs: 6.80 (combine) *MT is 2 inches shorter and 43lbs lighter*
Devante Adams 6'1 212lbs: 6.82 (combine)
Antonio Brown 5'10 186lbs: 6.98 (combine)
Stefon Diggs 6-0 191lbd: 7.03 (combine)

Simply put regardless of his 4.8 40 Trautman has the fluidity and burst to become an excellent route runner and create separation regardless of his straight line speed.

Has anyone found video of his actual 3-cone drill? I'm curious to see it. Couldn't find it in my digging last night although it was fun to watch some of the other TE combine stuff. Didn't see anyone that looked better than AT.

That is some great separation in clip two. Drove the defender up field before cutting out. Brees will eat that up all day.

Double moves are going to be nasty with him. So excited about this pick.

To me straight line is not that important. How often is it a foot race. Quick off the line and through the route is most important to me.

Watch that second video....against what appears to be a safety from Michigan. Thats all you need to see. look at that last foot plant and how aggressive and quick it is. BUT..if you want to see separation at the line of scrimmage...wow..that first one...thats a Drew Brees throw all day. I am extremely excited about this guy. I think he gives you what we had with Jimmy Graham, but the plus above Graham is that he appears to be a willing and capable blocker. You could do two tight end sets with him and Cook,...WOW..... He has the potential to be great in this system.

40 times just simply do not always tell the film story.. I have played with quite a few people that tested very poorly but would run away from people who times faster. So much technique goes into running a 40 and it can takes guys a month learning from the best to master the run while some never fully get it down.

So he’s fast in a squiggly line not a straight line. I can dig it. Who Dat?!

No, not fast, quick...big difference. Think of it as being able to go from 0-60 really fast but you top out at about 90mph in a straight line....

One of the best posts I've ever read on this board OP, to me maybe the most important measurable for WR/TE....The Senior bowl practice film illustrates this perfectly 2 quick cuts and a change of direction, after each he got a bit more separation....THAT is how you get open (quickness)....not by running straight down the field (straight line fast/whatever)...

No, not fast, quick...big difference. Think of it as being able to go from 0-60 really fast but you top out at about 90mph in a straight line....

One of the best posts I've ever read on this board OP, to me maybe the most important measurable for WR/TE....The Senior bowl practice film illustrates this perfectly 2 quick cuts and a change of direction, after each he got a bit more separation....THAT is how you get open (quickness)....not by running straight down the field (straight line fast/whatever)...
Also uses that long arm to get extra separation.. just enough to keep the yellow flag in the pocket

Also uses that long arm to get extra separation.. just enough to keep the yellow flag in the pocket

Maybe on another clip? on the Senior bowl practice clip he doesn't appear to touch the defender at all....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom