Let's talk about Facebook (1 Viewer)

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Does Facebook have a responsibility to weed out purposefully untruthful posts, the way they weed out, say, nudity? Is there any culpability on the part of Facebook when it is used to deliberately further misinformation and confuse the facts, especially during an election?

Interesting article:

https://theintercept.com/2016/11/10/facebook-im-begging-you-please-make-yourself-better/

"Confirmation bias doesn’t begin to describe what Facebook offers partisans in both directions: a limitless, on-demand narrative fix, occasionally punctuated by articles grounded in actual world events, when those suit their preferences. But it was the Trump camp more than its opponent that encouraged this social media story time, because theirs was a candidate who was willing to stand at a podium and recite things he knew to be false, day after day. Trump rallies were a place to propagate conspiracy theories plucked from Facebook (and Reddit, and Twitter, and 4chan, and …), but also to plant what would become the next social media hoax."

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think it would be better to let them remain but put a banner around saying "this charge has never been proven or/ has been proven false"

BarBar

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I think it would be better to let them remain but put a banner around saying "this charge has never been proven or/ has been proven false"

I'm just not sure that that would help. I spent months fighting the good fight trying to correct people on their stupid internet memes that were filled with false information. The response I got was mostly "I don't care." And they continue sharing it.

the other interesting response that I got a lot was " well maybe they didn't actually say that but you know that's what they think."

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just not sure that that would help. I spent months fighting the good fight trying to correct people on their stupid internet memes that were filled with false information. The response I got was mostly "I don't care." And they continue sharing it.

the other interesting response that I got a lot was " well maybe they didn't actually say that but you know that's what they think."
As a teacher I learned that if they didn't get it the first few times, let it go for a bit and then come back to it when their brains are a bit more receptive
It beats the alternative

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

I mostly stopped arguing with people and removed the worst offenders. Now mostly I get the "share this or Jesus will kill somebody" posts.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't used Facebook in months. It's a cesspool and I got tired of trying to weed out all the BS I see there. Plus, it's not worth spending half the day getting whacked out over stuff I have no control over. $%^& is always happening, and I choose not to feed myself that. It's mostly a waste of time IMO.

OP
mt15

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know how I feel. On the one hand, it's been shown that there is a concerted effort to flood social media with false information that plays to (mostly) right wing fears. Is it done as a political thing? Most likely not, it skews right because they found that those are the memes that drive traffic, thus increasing their monetary gain.

I do think there is a point to be made, though, that these false memes are harmful to society. Facebook does already censor things that they consider harmful to society, including some things I don't think are particularly harmful. Or certainly less harmful than hateful, false memes. :idunno:

I do hope that the people who were made very, very rich by Facebook are at least wrestling with these questions. Social media need to come up with an ethical code of some sort, IMO.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I mostly stopped arguing with people and removed the worst offenders. Now mostly I get the "share this or Jesus will kill somebody" posts.
i have a HS friend, college roommate and older cousin who post right wing stuff (but not really full breitbart)
a majority of my feed is so left it makes me seem like JimEverett in comparison

Uber_guy

Veteran
Reaction score
Does the post office have a responsibility to not deliver political postcard type mailings that may have debated claims? Who decides?

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think it's particularly the responsibility of anyone but the reader, but reductio ad absurdum works both ways.

Imagine a post saying there's a new terrible disease affecting children that can be verified by shining a light at their eyes and if their pupils grow smaller the cure is to make them drink a glass of anti-freeze. Now people reading and following it would be idiots beyond belief. Still, if such a post was getting 20 million likes and shares and widespread news of the effect of following was occurring, it'd be hard to understand why facebook would be fine just letting it sit out there.

I don't care for trying to force editorial choices, and I don't care for trying to find out where the line is, but certainly there are lines on both sides -- one being too interventionist and overprotective and the other being callous to the effects of distributing harmful content.

OP
mt15

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, ideally FB would come up with some policies on their own that don't stifle free speech but help get the word out about false for profit pages.

I don't think anyone is talking about debated claims. But outright lies should be handled differently. It's especially problematic (to me anyway) when these pages are started by folks who are making stuff up to drive traffic and make money. It damages society. I'd be okay if FB would just label the fraudulent posts, but not sure how practical that is.

Plus, you could make a case that FB is truly media, not the post office. But even the post office has rules about content if it's damaging enough.

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't it the first amendment? I take nothing I see on Facebook seriously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm down to about 14 people on Facebook, and my mom is going to be the next one kicked off the island. I have no problems with constructive discourse but just posting random garbage about share this wounded vet or whatever, yeah ok, your kicked off. Can I get a share? An amen? A 90% of people won't comment. Yeah your right, because you are now gone.

OP
mt15

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't it the first amendment? I take nothing I see on Facebook seriously

The first Amendment wouldn't apply here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom