Lets talk about our D and.........our DC....... (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
OK....we've reached another slump in the offseason....not a whole lot going on except another member of the Bengals is getting charged for (insert any random felony) again....

So lets talk about something that I haven't heard alot about since the season ended....Our defensive coordinator and his play calling...

Last season we seemed to have such different game plans from week to week that even if our defense wasn't last I think I still might have been upset....the first four games we blitzed maybe one or two times (not exactly but it seemed like it was even less than that)......then the Seattle game rolled around and I was sick to my stomach at what might happen to us on national t.v again....and low and behold....we see Roman Harper lighting it up....he was darting in from his position and wreaking havoc.....his pressure definitely had an affect on the rhythm of Seattle's offense.....and after such a beautiful display of defensive play calling.....one of my favorite performances all season for the D last year.....we went right back to the Chicago mentality of bend but dont break in the next game....but we werent and aren't chicago's D....so we just bended over and we broke....yes yes we did win the next game but it was one of the problems that we had last year that no one is talking about right now.....we obviously need to upgrade our personnel but Gibbs needs to come out and blitz like crazy this season....our defense had no attitude at all last year....no identity.....I hope vilma can fire everyone up.....we need a leader on D....its obviously not will smith or charles grant....the only thing they are leading is a sack of money to the bank (will smith will be soon anyway)...

what is everyone's thoughts on the fact that we still have the same DC from last season?? I was pretty upset at the end of last season with Gibbs and I didnt have a doubt in my mind that he wouldn't be removed this offseason.....Now that it is obvious that he is still here what if anything can this guy do to improve this defense.....I guess the whole point I'm trying to make is....after seeing the bi-polar defensive play calling last year, even if we do upgrade this D can Gibbs be expected to utilize them and turn this unit around??

I would imagine that this is the make or break year for Gibbs. I didn't care for last year's performance but I cut him some slack because the personnel on defense was less than desirable. If the team further upgrades the defense and they still struggle I will be right along with you in the line to bash Gibbs. I prefer to give him the personnel that he needs before I bash him though.

Gibbs turned a bunch of scrubs into the 11th ranked defense in 2006. He's capable of creating a good defense with the talent we now have.

I firmly believe that Gibbs is the new Venturi.

He should be gone, but is our head coach's BFF.

As long as we have Payton,we will have the Skip Bayless look-a-like Gibbs will be here.

OK....we've reached another slump in the offseason....not a whole lot going on except another member of the Bengals is getting charged for (insert any random felony) again....

So lets talk about something that I haven't heard alot about since the season ended....Our defensive coordinator and his play calling...

Last season we seemed to have such different game plans from week to week that even if our defense wasn't last I think I still might have been upset....the first four games we blitzed maybe one or two times (not exactly but it seemed like it was even less than that)......then the Seattle game rolled around and I was sick to my stomach at what might happen to us on national t.v again....and low and behold....we see Roman Harper lighting it up....he was darting in from his position and wreaking havoc.....his pressure definitely had an affect on the rhythm of Seattle's offense.....and after such a beautiful display of defensive play calling.....one of my favorite performances all season for the D last year.....we went right back to the Chicago mentality of bend but dont break in the next game....but we werent and aren't chicago's D....so we just bended over and we broke....yes yes we did win the next game but it was one of the problems that we had last year that no one is talking about right now.....we obviously need to upgrade our personnel but Gibbs needs to come out and blitz like crazy this season....our defense had no attitude at all last year....no identity.....I hope vilma can fire everyone up.....we need a leader on D....its obviously not will smith or charles grant....the only thing they are leading is a sack of money to the bank (will smith will be soon anyway)...

what is everyone's thoughts on the fact that we still have the same DC from last season?? I was pretty upset at the end of last season with Gibbs and I didnt have a doubt in my mind that he wouldn't be removed this offseason.....Now that it is obvious that he is still here what if anything can this guy do to improve this defense.....I guess the whole point I'm trying to make is....after seeing the bi-polar defensive play calling last year, even if we do upgrade this D can Gibbs be expected to utilize them and turn this unit around??

this has come up several times this offseason. You can't say Gibbs has no personnel, yet blame him for the defense being poor last season. When Gibbs blitzed, they got burned. When Gibbs didn't blitz, they got burned. There were injuries throughout the defense. Let's see what Gibbs can do with an upgrade in personnel before questioning whether he's a good defensive coordinator. Up to this point in his career, he's done a great job everywhere he's been, including here in 2006.

Well, we did have some rather lengthy discussions about Gibbs throughout the year and early in the off season, but the issues still remain at this point.

Was it his lack of aggressive playcalling?

Was it his lack of calling the wrong assignments?

Was it the wrong personnel?

Personally, I think it was a combo of personnel (and their individual performance) and being strapped in what he thought he could call. Why call a blitz when you can't even get your DLine to penetrate the OLine or the LBs lack of shedding blocks? Add to that the lack of man coverage on the DBs. If the Dline can't get penetration and the LBs can't shed blocks, but you call a blitz anyway, you will be left completely vulnerable as we were MANY times last year.

Here's to drafting well (a dang good DT and LB atleast) and improving last year's D.

dont want to come across as 'bashing' Gibbs.....but when you have a performance like last year.....and I was referring more to the play calling than the abysmal performance of the D last year....he just had totally different game plans....one he was super aggressive and another where he super NOT-aggressive....trust me its not his fault that the defense was lacking talent....but you have to question his coaching ability after he showed us two different coaching styles and never settled on either one of them.....and when we were blitzing the D was having an impact.....JD got burned no matter if were blitzing or not.....

Our defense wasn't good in 2006.

our defense wasn't GREAT, but it wasn't horrible either. Particularly when you consider how Gibbs did with the players he had to work with, it's almost a miracle they won the amount of games that they did.

dont want to come across as 'bashing' Gibbs.....but when you have a performance like last year.....and I was referring more to the play calling than the abysmal performance of the D last year....he just had totally different game plans....one he was super aggressive and another where he super NOT-aggressive....trust me its not his fault that the defense was lacking talent....but you have to question his coaching ability after he showed us two different coaching styles and never settled on either one of them.....and when we were blitzing the D was having an impact.....JD got burned no matter if were blitzing or not.....

once again, you are questioning Gibbs coaching ability, yet say that no matter what he called, JD got burned. You can't make chicken salad out of you-know-what.

Why call a blitz when you can't even get your DLine to penetrate the OLine or the LBs lack of shedding blocks? Add to that the lack of man coverage on the DBs.

That is exactly why you call a blitz. If you are getting penetration and pressure from your front four, you don't have to blitz.

That is exactly why you call a blitz. If you are getting penetration and pressure from your front four, you don't have to blitz.

That can go both ways though.

I'm actually watching the GB/CHI game from last year and I am watching the Bears DLine get great penetration, yet the LBs are still blitzing quite often.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom