Let's talk burgers! (1 Viewer)

Recently, I've been cooking burgers on my BGE over high heat for 3-4 minutes a side.

A thick burger (8-10 oz., an inch or so thick) comes out medium and tastes fantastic.

Another favorite method is two 4 oz. patties skillet pressed over medium-high heat. That's an easy (but messy) way to make a good double-burger.

I do mine for 4 minutes per side over 400-450 degrees. Then close it down completely and let them sit another 2 minutes.

Ever tried smoking the burgers? I've done that a few times. Get a nice smoke ring on the burger and really nice smoke flavor. I smoke them about 1 hour at 250.

82972d1458266199-lets-talk-burgers-smoked_burger.jpg

Man that looks great. I can almost taste the smokey flavor. Yum....

Recently, I've been cooking burgers on my BGE over high heat for 3-4 minutes a side.

A thick burger (8-10 oz., an inch or so thick) comes out medium and tastes fantastic.

Another favorite method is two 4 oz. patties skillet pressed over medium-high heat. That's an easy (but messy) way to make a good double-burger.

I grill a lot and would almost rather a good burger than steak. Almost...

I have been thinking about getting a BGE. I've used Weber charcoal grills for decades, but the idea of the BGE makes a lot of sense. However, A gas grill came with my new house and I've never cooked with gas, always charcoal. Once I get settled, I plan to try the gas grill but if it is not to my liking a BGE will be on my things-to-get list. Dealer just about 2 minutes from my house.

Gas grill:

ykBeqrA.jpg

Sorry, thread jack over. :covri:

what a bunch of sissies in this thread...

steak tartare tonight

coquettesteaktartare.jpg

if you're eating a burger more than medium, might as well save some money and eat the charcoal

and if you go to a restaurant, ask if they will cook a burger less than well done and if they say, "no," you leave

Medium for ground beef bought as ground beef.

If grinding my own then medium rare or rare.

Also - steak is fantastic raw. Absolutely delicious. Although chared for a minute over high heat tastes delicious as well.

Where is a good place for a burger in the DC area? I've tried Five Guys, Elevation Burger, Fudds, and Foster's (current favorite). Any other suggestions? Home cooked is the best tho.

as gross as it is I think it is because of stomach lining getting punctured in the processing of the cheaper cuts of meat but in some of these burger joints these days you are just eating ground up steaks more or less. I have never had a problem going toward the medium side either way. People are too cautious with pork and turkey too IMO. I only worry with chicken to be honest and I don't get sick.

Only the exterior of meat can be exposed to bacteria. That's why steak can be as rare as you want in the middle - as long as the outside is heated to 140, you aren't in any danger. With a burger, since it's ground, all of the meat has been exposed, so the middle has to be 140, which works out to medium.

Quick aside, you will avoid much, though not all, contamination issues, if you just buy a chuck roast and ask the butcher at the grocery to grind it for you. Most will, and you get better quality, and mostly safer, (and usually cheaper) ground meat than if you buy the pre-ground stuff.

I have a BGE and I always feel like it's a lot of work unless I'm having a BBQ with a bunch of people. Maybe I'm being lazy...

You are.

I do mine for 4 minutes per side over 400-450 degrees. Then close it down completely and let them sit another 2 minutes.

The "dwell" is not usually a good method. A smoldering fire can give a bad smoke taste. Two minutes shoudn't matter, but it's not a technique I like.

what a bunch of sissies in this thread...

steak tartare tonight

Love steak tartare. That pic with the egg looks amazing.

Growing up, I always ate my steak/hamburgers medium to medium well. While in college I worked at Steak & Ale as a cook and the longer I worked there, the more rare I liked my steak. (I also couldn't stand potatoes for a long time after I worked there. Just got sick of them. Now I can.)

At this time, it just depends on my mood. Sometimes very rare sometimes Medium rare, but never more for either steak or hamburger.

If going to a restaurant, it also depends on where. Different restaurants will define the doneness differently. What I would describe as rare, some call medium rare.
You're close to my age, so we remember rare steaks

I grew up in Baltimore, and I can remember on particularly hot summer evenings when mom didn't want to deal with the heat of the kitchen or the grill she'd make raw beef burgers. She would make her burgers as usual--salt, pepper, grated onion, and worcestershire sauce, then make them into patties and serve on bread. Fairly common in our neck of the woods at that time so no one batted an eye if you told them you had raw beef burgers/steak tartare.

Now when I tell people we used to eat our beef uncooked they have seizures :hihi:

I'm told this is still possible with organic, grass-fed beef. If you buy the common crap from god-knows-where you're likely do do yourself in with salmonella or some other food-borne pathogen. I'm fine with it, but my family is among those who have seizures.

Medium Rare, can tolerate medium, have been eating burgers like this forever, even when told it could be bad for you. Some restaurants will not cook them less than medium, give them a chance, but usually don't order a burger there again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom